A cool way to lube the chain

_ZeF

Donating Member
Registered
Okay I just tought i'd share this with you guys...

This is what i use to lubricate my chain when nobody's around to give me a hand with the race stand (i dont do that if i dont have to!). Its very easy to use and takes a minute to do the job. The gadget is called the Rollastand, can probably get it at any motorcycle shop.

Put the Rollastand behind the rear wheel, lift the bike, back the rear wheel so its sits on the two rolls of the Rollastand (make sure its centered), use a tye wrap or something to hold the sidestand switch pulled in (otherwise wont be able to release clutch in first gear), start the bike in neutral, engage the first gear and slowly let go of the clutch.

Your rear wheel is now slowly spinning so you can spray the lubricant on the chain in a zip. Then turn off the engine, get the bike off the Rollastand and you're ready to go.

I love it...

<!--EDIT|_ZeF
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122694181 -->

rollstand__3_.jpg

another

<!--EDIT|_ZeF
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122682381 -->

rollstand__2_.jpg

Nice little gizmo .. but the bike is still leaning over to one side and not too accessable . Much prefer to use a paddock stand like the pitbull ..

Kind of interesting but looks like an accident waiting to happen. With a 190 tire it doesn't look like you have much room for error, any hookup and your bike is history.

How hard is it to just move the tire by hand while in neutral? What ever you do don't get tempted to wipe it down with a rag while the bike is running. Hell...I just walked in from the garage a few minutes, replaced my rear tire tonight. Final step was spraying down the rotor with brake cleaner and wiping it clean. Noticed a little bit of dirt near the hub and as I'm spinning the tire with my left hand my middle finger on my right hand gets pulled right between the hub and swingarm. I guarantee the neighbors heard me yelling and cussing.
wow.gif
Fingernail is getting a darker shade of purple as I type this. Imagine getting a finger between the chain and rear sprocket as the bike is running!

BTW, what kind of rear stand are you using that's so hard to operate?

Heard of a guy once that tried something like that (bike in first gear with tire slowly turning while on rear stand) and inadvertently got his hand caught between chain and sprocket and lost two fingers! NOT A GOOD IDEA, IMO.

I always lube mine like that...

I'd like to think I'm careful enough not to loose a finger.. I just pop it in gear..walk around to the back and point the tube thing coming out of the can at it and fire away till everything looks white.. haha

turn it off... and then turn it by hand with a rag cleaning off the excess.

I have a race stand to lube the chain but I need one of those to clean the front rim!

glad you posted that and at less than $50.00

<!--EDIT|birdaprey
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122745099 -->

I only use it to lube the chain and there's a 5 inches straw between the lube can and the chain in movement. My fingers dont get near the chain/sprocket area and i would not attempt to clean anything in that process...

Chances of loosing fingers are practically inexistant in my case...

As for turning the wheel by hand... its pretty tough. I did not try the front tough, its a good idea and i will in the future

<!--EDIT|_ZeF
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123519572 -->

use a rear stand or just get someone to spray the chain while you roll the bike .....or pull in the grass and hold the front brake and let the back tire spin in the grass and have someone spray the chain !! be carefull a burnout in the grass if too dry mith start a fire !!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

never heard that one Jace. I use my stand to do it that way less chance for mistake.

use a rear stand or just get someone to spray the chain while you roll the bike .....or pull in the grass and hold the front brake and let the back tire spin in the grass and have someone spray the chain !! be carefull a burnout in the grass if too dry mith start a fire !!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
ROTFLMAO!!! I hardly ever laugh and that one got me to laughing so hard I cried! My gawd.........you Texans are definitely on top of things!! Ha.......

laugh.gif

I also use that rollstand for cleaning the front and rear wheels and for lubing the chain. I only use my hands to turn the wheels though. I haven't/wouldn't try turning the rear with the engine.

Anybody use the CycleCat rear stand? There is a picture of a 12 year old girl using this gadget to lift the back end of a Busa of the ground. Check it out at www.cyclecat.com

Back