3rd Arizona .org ride today

Mikey D

Registered
Ed (FastinPhoenix) PM's me as says, how bout a ride, I say I'm in.  I called all the usualls and a parent of one of my students also ponied up for the ride.  I actually met this guy (Larry) in the video store before I knew his kid was in my class.

I kinda have a big mouth and will walk up to anyone in a bike jacket and ask if they want to go riding.

It was a beautiful day in the 80's with a tad of cloud cover and our trip was scheduled from Mesa to Globe Arizona.  Roughly 60 miles of straights and twisties in the mountains.  High speed stuff, not like Canyon Lake/Tortilla Flats.

We left the Bashas parking lot with myself, Ed on his Busa, Larry on a TL1000R (nice bike) and 2 of Ed's friends; Dave on a Bandit1200 and Brett on a hardley.  Dave's and Brett's wives (I think) and kids followed in a support vehicle (for the Hardley I guess?)

Yes Brett got sh!t all day long.  Especially when we got to the restaraunt and his kid said, "you have to try to keep up with those guys"!  I laughed my ass off and said, "You tell him kid!"

After leaving Bahsas, we rode through town and went to get on the freeway (I love on ramps!).  Before getting on I caught something Ed said about traffic but didn't really understand what he was saying.  As I vigerously accelerated up the ramp, I found the freeway was stop & go.  It was Renassance Festival traffic & we had to sit through it for 3 miles.  Ahh well.

We had to take it easy going out of Apache Junction for about 5 more miles (Cause of all the popo on all the corners) & then got to turn up the wick in a nice long straight.  Tapped it up to a mild 150 (I don't have a visor on my getto-brain-bucket) and idled it back down to 135 for a few miles before having to slow down for Florence Junction.  (Where more popo hang out).

We had a spirited ride up to Superior, twisties at 110 or so and gassed up and H2O'ed up in town.  Exiting Superior we got to the hill to Oak Flats and utilized the passing lane up the mountain.  Many beautiful high speed sweeping turns around 120 or so.  I try not to look at the speedo that much when riding like that.

On the way to Globe we got some more spirited riding in and finally got to the towns (Miami & Globe) where we had to slow down to speed limits.  

Lunch at El Rancherito (I think that was it's name) where we had a pleasant conversation, swapping stories and ragging on the pig (pig, hog, whatever).

The trip back was awesome.  I don't think I have ever ridden that well/fast and felt as confident/good.  Up the hills & through the turns reaching 140!  (I saw over 130 on the clock as I was slowing down)

The final passing lane was reached before getting to Superior.  We got caught behind a horse trailer.  Pretty shiddy.  The guy in the truck stayed in the passing lane all the way up the mountain!  I though Ed was going to pull up to them and kick the truck's door in!  As it was, when he finally go to pass him, he gave the guy the one finger salute, I was laughing so hard I almost pissed myself on the bike!

During the final strech before reaching Apache Junction. (remember that popo free straighaway?)  I rode Suzie faster than I have ever gone before in my life!  An honest, indicated 186!  Didn't bounce off the rev limiter, felt stable and controllable, and like it was pulling hard and wonderful and great and awesome and all those kinds of words!

It was a great ride folks!  Wish ya'll could have been there!

Thanks for sharing.......you lucky bastard!!
laugh.gif

idea.gif
What he said...great fuggin' time!!!

Two things-
1. Next time, Mike, when we say we're gonna get action shots...we need to actually DO it...I don't know about you, but once I'm on Suzy, I tend to forget about everything else. Need a little reminder
poke.gif

2. I also forgot about the conversation that was just getting started when I went to the bathroom at the diner...I do recall it being about a radar gun, a runway, and HI speed...I can't believe I didn't follow up on this...what became of it? Is this something that could happen?

Anyhoo...I've put it off long enough...I'm off to put on my frame sliders (whimper, whimper)...scared stiff about puttin' a drill to Suzy
sad.gif
sad.gif
drooling3.gif

I've also got Mon. off, thought I'd take a ride up 89A from Prescott to Sedona, looks promising and hopefully no cages (especially arrogant a**holes like that guy pulling the trailer).
Prayin' their all at work...

Will take LOTS of pics...beautiful area, fantastic road...hopefully enough to lure some new riders to join us (hint, hint
wink.gif

BTW, haven't had Dave run his mouth since then...Daddy Mikey sure taught that boy some respect for the mighty Busa!!!
beerchug.gif

sad.gif

That pict is so funny. 4 guys in black, and I'm the only white guy!

Point #1 - tough to stop when you're having soo much fun!

Also, do we want to stop on the outside of a turn and get picts of one of us doing a twisty at 100+? Yeah, probably.

Point #2 - My bud the popo can definately get us the gun. We can take it on a street somewhere. (I've got the perfect one in mind) but I was hoping to get a runway on Williams Air Force Base (Well the ex WAFB) We'll have to do it on a weekday evening. I'll definately keep you posted!

I'm curious now, not hitting the rev limiter and all, if my bike was unrestricted by it's previous owner.

BTW - love your sig!

Great time glad you had fun.  

186mph indicated is plenty fast, but you would not hit the limiter yet.  True speed would have been about 173mph plenty fast.  True 186mph @ the limiter would be 200mph on your speedo.  Or did you mean indicated as in GPS??

Sounds like an awsome ride though, and plenty fast enough either way..

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1079920540 -->

186mph indicated is plenty fast, but you would not hit the limiter yet.  True speed would have been about 173mph plenty fast.  True 186mph @ the limiter would be 200mph on your speedo.  Or did you mean indicated as in GPS??

Thanks for the edu.

It was on the speedo.

Am I understanding you correctly that the rev limiter will allow me to go 200 on the speedo?

And oh yea, Plenty fast!

Sounds like you guys had a great time. Thanks again for the PM Mikey, I'm bummed I couldn't make it (again). Next time?...

BTW: bring yo shid to Firebird for friday night drags sometime...actually, I hear Speedworld (near Wittman) is much more bike-friendly, but it's Wednesday nights. I'm gonna try to get out there too...

BTW II: This weekend at Speedworld: NMRA Drag Racing

Sounds like you guys had a great time.  Thanks again for the PM Mikey, I'm bummed I couldn't make it (again).  Next time?...

BTW:  bring yo shid to Firebird for friday night drags sometime...actually, I hear Speedworld (near Wittman) is much more bike-friendly, but it's Wednesday nights.  I'm gonna try to get out there too...

BTW II:  This weekend at Speedworld: NMRA Drag Racing
Yeah, some day when my life dosen't revolve around finishing my stinkin house!

Next time LCW!!

Thanks for the edu.

It was on the speedo.

Am I understanding you correctly that the rev limiter will allow me to go 200 on the speedo?

And oh yea, Plenty fast!
Correct Mikey. You should be able to hit a GPS(radar) of 183-186mph depending on the bike. That should be about 198-200mph on the Speedo.

Correct Mikey.  You should be able to hit a GPS(radar) of 183-186mph depending on the bike.  That should be about 198-200mph on the Speedo.
Is that with stock gearing?  If so there some correction factor for figuring out the "real" speed?
I think the standard allowance for error in the speedo is that it reads 7% high. So, an indicated 100 = 93. An indicated 200 = 186 (approximately of course)

By the way, I plan to do some LIDAR (laser) testing to see how far off mine is. I want to get a Speedohealer and fix the error once I decide on which sprocket I wanna go with. Leanin' toward a 43 on the rear and leavin' the front stock. Don't know for sure yet, though.

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1079990742 -->

Correct Mikey.  You should be able to hit a GPS(radar) of 183-186mph depending on the bike.  That should be about 198-200mph on the Speedo.
Is that with stock gearing?  If so there some correction factor for figuring out the "real" speed?
I think the standard allowance for error in the speedo is that it reads 7% high. So, an indicated 100 = 93. An indicated 200 = 186 (approximately of course)

By the way, I plan to do some LIDAR (laser) testing to see how far off mine is. I want to get a Speedohealer and fix the error once I decide on which sprocket I wanna go with. Leanin' toward a 43 on the rear and leavin' the front stock. Don't know for sure yet, though.
Cool BT. Gino (the Popo at my school) said that he could get me a radar gun for a test ride.

Gonna see if I can get my daughter to run the video camera!

Back