300+ Miles Today on New Michelin Pilot Pure

Scar

Seasoned Pilot
Donating Member
Registered
I N I T I A L :love: I M P R E S S I O N

So, Peg (Pegasus, my 06LE) needed a new set of tires.

Since I've been logging miles on Wasabi (the '08) as much as I have, Peg hasn't needed any 'new shoes' for awhile...if you know what I mean.

I've been hearing a lot about the new Michelin Pilot Pure, so, I decided I'd get a set for her, even though she doesn't see the asphalt that much any more.

Yesterday, I took her to FBC and had them installed.

This morning we had planned to go to Borrego Springs (a full-day-ride) typically 300 miles by the way we route ourselves...

It pounded rain last night, so the roads were dirty, sandy, rocky, and in some places still wet, but it promised to be a great day when we hit the desert... and fantastic it was!

When we got to the freeway leading to the desert floor, the roads were clean and dry enough to really put the Pure's to the paces...

They did NOT disappoint.

I will tell you this here and now...the Pilot Pure is my new tire.

As anyone who knows me knows this: I've been a staunch shredder of 2CTs and Road2's (seldom trying anything else), but the Pure is my new favorite.

I'll be putting a set on Wasabi, as soon as her 2CTs are baked. I'll be able to give you a full assessment of these in due course, but my initial impression is that the Pure is a top-drawer tire. I'm very interested to see if they'll offer the same longevity as their predecessors.

If you do some research on the Pures, you'll find that Michelin has taken the 2CT, and expanded the width of the softer outer compound strips and narrowed the harder center strip compound giving you way more 'sticky' room on the lean-overs.

Absolutely confidence-enhancing!

The following is a link to a little stretch of Montezuma Grade (15sec Video) which was filmed during today's outing...enjoy the ride!

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/18426550/186253355/name/Montezuma.m4v[/SIZE]

:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

Greenfield Mobil.jpg

Cameron Corner (1).jpg

Cameron Corner (2).jpg

Last edited:
Here's a couple of pix of the tires...at the first stop...scrubbed to the edges.

:laugh:

:whistle:

:laugh:

Pilot Pure (1) Day1 1st Stop.jpg

Pilot Pure (2) Day1 1st Stop.jpg

I'm waitin to burn through my 2ct's as well to try these bad boys out! If you get any downtime Scar, u should def take a dremel to that rear mudflap... :beerchug:

So.. should be good for what, about 200 miles? :rofl:

from everything I have heard they are super sticky and well designed tires.. I will just have to give up those extra few mm's of lean angle cause I can't afford that many tires a year lol

Thanks for the review Scar...too bad i just bought a new set of Perrelli's....D'oh!

What did your new tires run ya and where did you get them? If i may be so bold to ask. :laugh:

Thanks for the review Scar...too bad i just bought a new set of Perrelli's....D'oh!

What did your new tires run ya and where did you get them? If i may be so bold to ask. :laugh:

:poke: You'll burn through those Pirelli's in no time, Ace... :laugh: Great tire, in and of themselves. Corsa? Corsa3?

No i am trying the Angels...I usually ride Avon Storms. The Angels have been compared to them. Found the Angels at a good price, so gonna try them.

Nice scenic ride on that little video. Did i see some dbl yellow crossing going on there? :laugh:

Last edited:
No i am trying the Angels...I usually ride Avon Storms. The Angels have been compared to them. Found the Angels at a good price, so gonna try them.

Nice scenic ride on that little video. Did i see some dbl yellow crossing going on there? :laugh:

No DYL on Montezuma! :whistle: EVER! :laugh: I did that once and got an award for it! Not far from that very stretch, in fact. The car in this video actually pulled off the road to allow us to pass.

Warchild used to swear by the Storms. I've never run them, myself. What kind of mileage do you getout of them?

No DYL on Montezuma! :whistle: EVER! :laugh: I did that once and got an award for it! Not far from that very stretch, in fact. The car in this video actually pulled off the road to allow us to pass.

Warchild used to swear by the Storms. I've never run them, myself. What kind of mileage do you getout of them?

:laugh: Yeah that car moved over, After you buzzed him! :thumbsup:

I've gone as far as 8k on a set of storms. But those miles were evenly spread out over curves and straights. If i use them on trips i get anywhere from 4k to 6k. I can spread 3 sets of them over the riding season and still have some tread to use for spring spider web cleaning! :laugh:

Nice times! Wish I was there ... who's BMW RR? Tires & Motor Oil seem to allways be a matter of personal choice. :argue:
I tried the storms and they just didnt seem planted enough for me in the turns and they really didint like all the black tar snakes we have up here on the back roads ... 2Cts are my choice for long life and grip. I need a new set soon so I am lookin at trying the Pilot rd 2's or maybe the BT016

I think I am going to go this route as well. They promise to be a pretty great tire. After 2 years of pilot powers and 2CT's I have been pretty impressed so far.:bowdown:

Back