2012 busa wont start when hot

Balkhairbusa

Registered
Hello everyone,

My 2012 hayabusa wont start when its hot. It looks like the battery is dead but once the bike is cool down it starts in very quickly.
I have changed below items.
1. Yuasa battery
2. Clutch plates
3. Self motor
4. Starter coil
5. Oil cooler
6. Radiator

However, the problem still the same. Please advise if i need to check something else to resolve this problem.

its over heating , check water level and check the fans make sure they are coming on. my fans come on when the temp gauge is 1/2 way. has the motor ever been rebuilt?? big bore kits can create to high compression ratio may need a 24v start system you can try a radiator flush w/ vinegar but be sure to flush again with water before refilling with coolant

have you checked the thermostat ? also pull your side covers off start the bike and once it reaches running temperature check your hose's to see if the suction side is collapsing this happens in cars also on the water pump there is plug to purge air out of the coolant system be sure there is no air in the system also a blown head gasket can cause over heating by blowing hot exhaust into the coolant system . you can do a leak down test harbor freight sells the test kit also the bike could be running lean on the fuel mixture especially if a new exhaust, or after market air filter has been installed with out a power commander or some other fuel regulatory system or wrong fuel map has been installed on power commander pull the spark plugs and look to see if its running lean

Last edited:
I flushed radiator and refilled new coolant, fans are coming on, the guage is not moving higher than half way. However, i still feel the engine is getting hotter than before. I changed the thermostat, changed generator coil thinking may be its not charging the battery when it gets hot. I have done almost everything but unable to solve the problem.
I took the bike to garage and he advised me that "May be piston ring has worn out and i should change it". I am not sure if this is the solution of my problem. My bike had done 32,000 kms.

Why do you ‘feel’ the rad is getting hotter especially if you say the gauge is ok? As for the guy at the garage saying wha?, that worn piston rings are causing it to overheat? Or did he really say ‘the’ ring and ‘it’ should be changed? Plenty confused here. BTW what’s a “self” motor?

The mechanic said, bike is getting hotter because of bad piston rings. When bike is cold it start very smoothly. Once i leave it for 10 min then start again it acts like the battery is low. After checking this, the guy at garage said piston ring are getting stuck when engine is hot and its not allowing the piston to move freely. I am not sure what is the real problem of my bike. I did almost everything to resolve this problem. Now the only thing i need do is to tear down the engine... which i dont wish to do. Please help me to solve this problem.

You have been throwing parts at it in the hope that you will fix it, totally the wrong approach!
To correctly diagnose a fault such as this, you need to take a scientific approach and actually test components, i.e:
1: load test the battery, check all battery terminals for bad connections.
2: Check the charging system with a multimeter
3: Test the starter motor while cranking the engine, test with a volt meter, looking at the voltage drop, anything lower than 10v and it has a problem. Test it cold and test it hot. Look at the difference in the voltage drop while cranking.
4: Check the cooling system temperature with a quality automotive thermometer if you "feel" it's hotter than it used to be.
I would look at the starter motor, the voltage drop test will tell you a lot about the condition of the starter.
There's a few tips and tests to keep you busy for a while :thumbsup:
By the way, the guy at the garage sounds like he's shooting in the dark.
Go to a Suzuki Dealership for good diagnosis from trained and experienced technicians, it may seem to cost a lot, but honestly, it's going to be cheaper in the long run.

Hello everyone,

My 2012 hayabusa wont start when its hot. It looks like the battery is dead but once the bike is cool down it starts in very quickly.
I have changed below items.
1. Yuasa battery
2. Clutch plates
3. Self motor
4. Starter coil
5. Oil cooler
6. Radiator

However, the problem still the same. Please advise if i need to check something else to resolve this problem.
First thing you need to do is find a better mechanic and stop throwing parts at it like @Kiwi Rider said. There is nothing on that list, besides “starter coil” that could fix your starting issues and I’m sure those parts are not cheap in India. No disrespect to you, but I think you are barking at the wrong tree by changing cooling system components when the temp gauge is telling you that the temp is within range. I’m in Florida and temps here can reach a 110’F index and my bike has never struggled to start back up after riding it through traffic in those temps. Whatever you do, don’t disassemble your motor, until you are 110% sure that it’s an internal problem. Good luck fixing your baby :thumbsup:

Well known issue. Happens very frequently. Solved my issue by wiring in a second battery and running it at 24volts to the starter.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the piston rings. Please do yourself a favor and never return to that mechanic.

Google hayabusa hot start and you’ll see pages and pages of forum posts. People have tried all kinds of things to fix it with zero results. Short version is it is most likely related to the starter clutch or starter. Something is swelling up when hot. 24volts is enough to override whatever is happening, or try to find out what specific part it is.

All the above advice is given in the best possible spirit of friendship.
Please take this advice if you want the best possible outcome for your beloved Hayabusa and also of course, your bank balance.
All the best with your mission to set your bike back to where it should be, let us know how it goes, we all wish you the best success!
:race::race::race::race::race:

Thank you all for your great advise and support. Today’s update, first thing i changed my mechanic. Took my bike to another garage and he checked all current related issues and said the battery is charging well but starter motor is struggling to roll the engine when its hot. Therefore, he suggested to check main rod bearing as there is a possibility of bearing damage which result in not starting when hot. Today he opened the bearing. I will post pictures in my next post.

Unless the engine is smoking or knocking, there is nothing internal wrong with it.
I say BS on bad rings or bearings.
No way could either cause a hard start...yet the bike run fine otherwise.

I used to work with a guy from India and he told me that small bikes, mostly Enfields, are everywhere but big bikes are a rarity as are proper mechanics for them. Most riders rely on garage mechanics or themselves to repair the smaller bikes, but almost no one knows anything about a bikes that’s technical like the Hayabusa. That’s why I asked if he was near Mumbai as there seems to be plenty of possible options there. I’d think it would be rough riding a big bike over there, crappy roads and tons of largely uncontrolled traffic. Good luck to him!

Far out . . . it ain't looking good for this guy's bike or his pocket book.
He said the guy opened up the engine, to check the bearings . . OMG.
He should have removed the starter and opened that up to check the brushes and the bushes.
Man I feel for the Indians, they have very little technical expertise or support with engineering issues.
Hey, at least this guy is smart enough to reach out to us, I just hope he listens and acts on the advice we give him!

Back