start up hesitation

supernova777

Registered
Hey guys, i notice something weird:
My baby (09 - 3000 miles- no mods) have a hasitation at start up immediately (2 or 3 minutes) after shut off!
It happens usually when i come from a long ride (80 miles or so) and shut off to open garage door, remove bags, etc..
Then, when i push the starter button everything dim for a half second (while the starter motor obviously not rotate)before bike start..(k... wooom)
It is the behavior of an almost dead battery but the battery is always charged and this happens only with the bike hot from the trip.Never with cold motor!Noted that the voltage regulator is changed and the volt-meter readings are always right.
Any suggestions?

if you left the bike for 10 mins is it ok then ?

reason i ask is its most likely down to fuel vapor lock from being hot and stood for a couple of mins .

mine dont start well if i switch off for a train crossing which is usually about 3-5 mins (sometimes its fine sometimes struggles )

very common issue with the zx6r as the cylinders lock with this and wont turn over for a while .

i think theres a cure but i cant remember, spray cold water on the inlet manifold and if that works its vapor lock so you know its not an electrical issue etc which means cost!!

could be a air leak too so a look at the plugs may give you the answer as one may be very white as that cyl is drawing in air ? check the manifold pipes bungs etc for splits leaks or not connected missing etc

hth

Even if battery is always charged and/or the voltage checks out, only way to know for sure if it is still good or not is to have your battery load-tested. I suspect a dying battery.

Did you get the rectifier recall ? My '08 could be stubborn after a good ride, stop to get gas, drag a little to start. It finally stopped.

Thanks guys !

From what I understand fuel vapor lock happen inside fuel lines, pumps etc so the starter motor runs but the engine don’t start..

In my case the starter motor struggling for a moment but then the engine start instantly In half rotation or so..

It’s looks like insufficient current supply from battery or extreme load for the starter motor (i.e very high compression in cylinders)

Lonner : I don’t tested yet the 10 minutes interval but after 20 minutes start up perfect..

Kromdom : of course the battery is the first suspect but why this happens only with hot motor? It is the compression difference so significant between cold- warm and hot motor ?

Dadofthree : yes i did the recall!Yours was stubborn and stopped after rectifier replacement?

Thanks guys !

In my case the starter motor struggling for a moment but then the engine start instantly In half rotation or so..

It’s looks like insufficient current supply from battery or extreme load for the starter motor (i.e very high compression in cylinders)

Dadofthree : yes i did the recall!Yours was stubborn and stopped after rectifier replacement?

No. I had the rectifier recall work done, but I never had an issue with the charging system. Still running the original battery. I remember during the first 5K miles or so, getting on the bike hot it would struggle a little to start. Haven't had the issue since +24K now. I don't know if they beefed up the starter for the stroked 1300. I'm thinking it will stop after you put some miles on her and loosen things up a bit.

do you let the fuel pump go through its prime before starting? i have an 06 with an 08 crank and my bike would be a little hesitant to start. i listen for the fuel pump to come on and off and it starts when the bike is warm. i do that warm or cold.

My ex had the same problem with her 06. Needed to let the bike sit for about 10 minutes before it would start again.
It still had to original battery in it and it seemed to hold the charge good, however on some advice we got a new battery and the problem ceased.
Good luck with it.

I believe i had heard of this in the owners manuel. Isnt it because of the higher compression of the Gen 2 and i recall the owners manual saying to open the throttle slightly while cranking. I do remember this was only a issue while the motor was hot. Might be worth looking into. Good luck

Hot copper has a higher resistance than cold copper requiring more current to turn the motor. This is why you only see the problem when it's hot.

Mine would do the same thing,,, it was the battery. My battery tested good even on the load test, but condition got worse and worse. IT IS THE BATTERY,,,dont be like me and wait till you get stranded before you buy a new battery.

Battery for shure.Mine did it after rectifier change(recal).Thought was the rectifier again.Change it again but the problem was still there .Couldn't believe that battery was the problem cause my busa(08) was always plugged to a battery tender.Finally changed the stock battery (Gs Yuasa made in china) with a new one from suzuki(made in Japan Furukawa)again.No problems since.Oem battery sucks

Back