Cruising Hesitation in all gears - HELP!

bman2u187

Registered
Guys, I need help. I have an '01 Busa with roughly 50K Miles on it. I just changed the plugs (NGK CR9E), oil & filter, air filter, and all the other fluids. After the tune up, I now have a power surge while cruising. This happens when it's cold or warmed up. It seems to go away after about 30 minutes of riding (I commute 62 miles one way everyday). Two nights ago, I was cruising and the bike totally turned off and then turned right back on when I pulled the clutch in and gave it gas. There's no power loss or surging on acceleration, just while cruising. I pulled the coils and check them, I tested the crank sensor, all is good. Prior to the tuneup, the bike ran great...just doing maitenance and now I'm bikeless
banghead.gif
UGH! Any advice on where to check next.

There are no wires involved in the secondary ignition system on this bike, it's a COP design. I double and triple checked the gap and torqued them to specs twice, the first time and after I rechecked it all once the hesitation started to occur. Those were my thoughts initially and went back and checked my work. I am an automotive technician, not bikes. I am wondering if there are many differences between the two industries. I doubt it though. Thanks for the input though.

Welcome to the .oRg!!

no FI lights? you may want to double check your sensor plug ins and vacuum lines... if it was running fine before, it would seem you must have touched something..

You might want to pull the plugs and double check you did not damage any porcelains and that they are installed correctly (torque or amount of turn after gasket crushes) really watch closely all the connections on the air box..

the bike was running fine before your service correct?

I am assuming you "felt" a solid spark plug boot connection/snap into place when seated onto the plug? I double checked mine once and sure enough, one wasn't as snug a connection as it should have been.

No FI lights at all. The bike ran fine before the tuneup. It was a routine tune up, nothing special. I have double checked the gaps on the plugs and definitely torqued them correctly. I thought about possibly having made a poor connection on the plugs from the coil as well and made sure all four were tight. No change on the test ride. My latest suspicion is maybe when I did the tuneup this time, one thing I did differently was disconnect the battery. I'm wondering if when I disconnected the battery I erased the KAM memory in the module that adjusts and compensates for worn sensors, but I don't know if the bike has that type of memory like cars do. I was thinking that maybe my TPS sensor was worn in a spot and now the PCM doesn't remember the compensated figures and is now causing the surging. However, I scoped the TPS and found no dead spots in the waveform. All the suggestions are great, but we haven't found anything yet...keep em coming, I'm hating life driving the car!

Any chance a coil was bumped and is now giving an intermittant problem? If it smoothes out after 30 min the problem must be minor. Also you might try replacing the plugs again. I have had a few brand new plugs be bad in the past.

Back