2008 Starting Problems?

pull the battery and put it on charge a trickle charge and let it go over night...if not get the dealer to replace it and then slow charge that battery..i put battery tenders on all my bikes...my new 08 starts at will even when warm so i would imagine it was not charged right from the get go , dealers charge them for 2 hours..wrong.. they have to fill battery with the acid pack and slow charge it for 24 hours before it is ready to go..my new 08 i took the bike home with 0 miles on it and i even charged the battery on my own..post up the outcome of this battery situation...by the way i love my new bike more then my 02le i had...thumbs up SUZUKI!!!!
ohsnap1.gif
Great info. Thanks

I just got back from the dealer. He said the battery is a gel type. The first charge needs to be 1.2 amps for 10 hours,this is critical or the battery will never have the correct amperage. He said they may have rushed it into service on my bike. He gave me a new one without any fuss. He advised not starting a warm bike with the high beam on. I had been using high beam in the daytime. Ill install the battery tonight and see what happens. Thanks to everyone for the great info and support.

GelBatt.jpg

Why would Suzuki leave the headlight on while cranking it? On my old 85 900cc eliminator, the headlight didn't come on till it started. On my 05 Busa at least the headlight goes off while it's cranking.. I know my 90 CBR 1000, the headlight stayed on during cranking and in the winter, cold starts didn't work a lot of times. A short push did though
thumb_up.gif

I don't know for sure, but IF the '08 uses the same battery as the gen1 Busas or the '08s battery is rated for something like 160cca.  Then its the WEAK A$$ battery Suzuki keeps putting in these bikes.  Sometimes you get a better battery, sometimes you get a not so good one.

I had the same problem on my '02.  But I replaced the weak stock battery with a high output battery from schnitz racing, 235cca vs 160cca, and have never had a problem since.

Hot bikes require more battery juice than a cold bike.
+ 1

Got the new battery home last night. I checked voltage before I installed (12.85 Volts). Hooked up battery, did not turn key (12.85 Volts) apparently no hidden drain imeediately noticeable. Started the bike and let idle with high beam on (14.42 Volts) apparently some charging going on at idle. Took the bike out for an hour ride. Did a couple warm starts after the ride, it sounded stronger than it ever did
smile.gif
. Final Check on the battery was 13.05 Volts (indicated charging). Hopefully all good. This battery is rated at 176 Cold Cranking Amps. Greyrocket, had mentioned his wouldnt start with high beam on. High beam is a 10amp fuse(see Pic). If starting or not starting is as little as 10amps on a 176 amp battery, I would say from my research on this site, Generation One Busa Owners were completely justified in saying battery is under speced! I think I'm ordering the Schnitz YTZ14S 235 Cold Cranking Amp battery. Again great input! Thanks to all of you. I'm changing oil tonight, Ill post some pics tomorrow. Payday, Ill make a donation to this board!

Fusebox.jpg

Why would Suzuki leave the headlight on while cranking it? On my old 85 900cc eliminator, the headlight didn't come on till it started. On my 05 Busa at least the headlight goes off while it's cranking.. I know my 90 CBR 1000, the headlight stayed on during cranking and in the winter, cold starts didn't work a lot of times. A short push did though  
thumb_up.gif

Good question on why leave the headlight on while starting! I write manuals for industrial robots for a living. The sad truth is many times, equipment works the way it does not because of engineering logic. But to satisfy lawyers and the companys insurace. Maybe some crazy thing happened where some guy got hit on his bike while he was trying to start it?

Robot, glad to hear your battery problem seems to be solved. I noted that you said you were going to change your oil, fwiw I put a few lines about changing oil in my 2nd rant under the 'oil filter relocation' thread.

Gotta be the battery, brother.

I had the SAME problem.

Hooked up the 'ol Battery Tender overnight. Amazingly, not a problem since. When I read the voltage prior to the charge, it was barely 11.4 V.

The PDI at the dealer was poor, at best. Needless to say, they didn't install a fully charged battery in my case.

Gotta be the battery, brother.

I had the SAME problem.

Hooked up the 'ol Battery Tender overnight. Amazingly, not a problem since. When I read the voltage prior to the charge, it was barely 11.4 V.

The PDI at the dealer was poor, at best. Needless to say, they didn't install a fully charged battery in my case.

Robot, glad to hear your battery problem seems to be solved. I noted that you said you were going to change your oil, fwiw I put a few lines about changing oil in my 2nd rant under the 'oil filter relocation' thread.
Yep, I saw that, your procedure looks dead on.One or two pics help me out alot. I actually removed my side panels last week to install sliders. The sliders will show up in tomorrows pics. I took my time taking the panels off, the manual helped some. I never had a generation one busa, so had nothing to compare to. Ill take some good pics tonight. Ill use the aluminum foil trick I learned about here to keep oil off of things. The oil didnt look too dark in the glass, Ill have a closer look at it tonight. Here is a pic I took of the filter last week. Lots of fun stuff to learn about the Busa!

08Filter.jpg

Back