2008 Starting Problems?

Robot

Donating Member
Registered
The day I picked up my 2008(a week and a half ago), I took it directly from the dealer to my work. I started the engine maybe 3 times in a 15 minute period. The fourth time (the hot engine)didnt want to start. I had a friend jump the bike(dealer wasnt happy about that). Similar situation happend yesterday. I had the bike at 3500-5000rpm to provide adequate charging. I also noticed some fluid in the holder, Ill see if the dealer will swap battery(Yuasa YTX12-BS 12V 10Ah/10HR) tomorrow. Thanks to the great search capability of this board. I have learned hot starting can be a problem (maybe even more so with 1340cc and 12.5 compression). I think it might be best the get the added capacity battery from Scnitz. I'm starting with the battery, if that doesnt do it, into the dealer for electrical system troubleshooting  
sad.gif

500WidthBusa.jpg

Dang, I bet you were pissed. When you say 'hot' how hot do you mean? I've started and stopped my 08 a bunch with it up to normal operating temp with no issues. I'm guessing 170 f to 190 f, no digital readout on the temp, oop's I said something bad about the new busa got to stop that. This is definately a rectal pluck but I would think you have some loose connections somewhere, or your battery came new with a shorted or bad cell. Have you checked the voltage across the battery, that would tell you if it's the battery. With the new gen having 2 radiator fans and an oil cooler hopefully overheating will not be a problem. Are your radiator fans coming on, they probably start at about 200 to 205 deg f. What ever is causing it I hope you find it soon and the dealer makes it good for you with no lip.

Dang, I bet you were pissed. When you say 'hot' how hot do you mean? I've started and stopped my 08 a bunch with it up to normal operating temp with no issues. I'm guessing 170 f to 190 f, no digital readout on the temp, oop's I said something bad about the new busa got to stop that. This is definately a rectal pluck but I would think you have some loose connections somewhere, or your battery came new with a shorted or bad cell. Have you checked the voltage across the battery, that would tell you if it's the battery. With the new gen having 2 radiator fans and an oil cooler hopefully overheating will not be a problem. Are your radiator fans coming on, they probably start at about 200 to 205 deg f. What ever is causing it I hope you find it soon and the dealer makes it good for you with no lip.
Not unusually hot, fans are working fine. I should have said up to temp. If temp gage gets up to mid range fans come on and imeediately cool it below mid-point mark. Battery seems fine on voltage, but amps available are the question. I checked battery connection and cleaned.

This problem occured 3 times counting this morning. but have rode the bike nearly every day without problem. Hopefully battery takes care of the issue. Thanks for the input, not too fun having the new "toy" not work right. Dealer is closed on Mondays or I would be over there now.

Crack the throttle slightly next time you have problems so that it can spin easier and get past the air restriction with it closed. You'll probably notice the difference.

I would expect the bike to start just fine without any modifications and would not be satisfied until it did so... haul back to the dealer

Is the bike not turning over? Or is it,and and the engine won't fire? Maybe the battery was never fully charged. Always check the simple stuff first. good luck! Keep us posted!

Is the bike not turning over? Or is it,and and the engine won't fire? Maybe the battery was never fully charged. Always check the simple stuff first. good luck! Keep us posted!
When this happens, the bike turns over so slowly, it is unable to start (just like all of us have experienced with a car), like a partially drained battery. Then it wont start until jumped or battery is put on a charger. All is fine for days until it does it again.

After this happened this morning, I tried push starting it in second gear. Previous post search said this is possible if enough juice is present to fire injectors, fuel pump etc. I had no success.

John, I'm not sure what you meant by fluid in the holder? Anyway the saving grace is the starting sys. is not rock. science. You can measure the voltage accross the battery as it sits and see what you get. Use a good digital meter. Also a slow crank is much easier to nail down than a fast spin/crank and no start. Once the bike is running and you read the batttery you will see the alternator's out voltage. I imagine its around 13.8-14.0 volts. My money is on a sorry battery. Let us know.

Hey robot sorry to hear about your starting problem, hope you solve it quickly. I thought I read on here of another 08 busa with starting problems. Good luck. P.S. why did the dealership not approve of jumpstart?

you shouldnt have to buy a battery for a new bike, your attempting to solve a problem thats not yours. you need to get that bike to the dealer and let them figure out whats the problem.

I don't know for sure, but IF the '08 uses the same battery as the gen1 Busas or the '08s battery is rated for something like 160cca. Then its the WEAK A$$ battery Suzuki keeps putting in these bikes. Sometimes you get a better battery, sometimes you get a not so good one.

I had the same problem on my '02. But I replaced the weak stock battery with a high output battery from schnitz racing, 235cca vs 160cca, and have never had a problem since.

Hot bikes require more battery juice than a cold bike.

I don't know for sure, but IF the '08 uses the same battery as the gen1 Busas or the '08s battery is rated for something like 160cca.  Then its the WEAK A$$ battery Suzuki keeps putting in these bikes.  Sometimes you get a better battery, sometimes you get a not so good one.

I had the same problem on my '02.  But I replaced the weak stock battery with a high output battery from schnitz racing, 235cca vs 160cca, and have never had a problem since.

+1... i was thinking the same thing... i hope they arent using the same battery as the 1st gen busa... that would be CRAP!

battery was'nt fully charged probably. happened to mine [not fully charged] when purchased.

take it back, let them deal with it.

had my bike serviced by my v good reliable mechinc the opther day, amongst other things I got a new battery.

which was totally crap.

Brand new, and treted coorectly by proffesionals and totally crap. WOuldnt hold charge and sounds a bit like yours problem.

I guess it can happen

moX

pull the battery and put it on charge a trickle charge and let it go over night...if not get the dealer to replace it and then slow charge that battery..i put battery tenders on all my bikes...my new 08 starts at will even when warm so i would imagine it was not charged right from the get go , dealers charge them for 2 hours..wrong.. they have to fill battery with the acid pack and slow charge it for 24 hours before it is ready to go..my new 08 i took the bike home with 0 miles on it and i even charged the battery on my own..post up the outcome of this battery situation...by the way i love my new bike more then my 02le i had...thumbs up SUZUKI!!!!
ohsnap1.gif

John, I'm not sure what you meant by fluid in the holder? Anyway the saving grace is the starting sys. is not rock. science. You can measure the voltage accross the battery as it sits and see what you get. Use a good digital meter.  Also a slow crank is much easier to nail down than a fast spin/crank and no start. Once the bike is running and you read the batttery you will see the alternator's out voltage. I imagine its around 13.8-14.0 volts. My money is on a sorry battery. Let us know.
When I took the Battery out to charge, the bottom of the holder was wet. Seemed a little much for condensation, But not too much if battery leaked. Thanks for the tip. I do have a couple good digital meters. Ill run by the shop this morning, and see what a new battery does from today on.

Hey robot sorry to hear about your starting problem, hope you solve it quickly.   I thought I read on here of another 08 busa with starting problems.  Good luck.  P.S. why did the dealership not approve of jumpstart?
Wasnt aware of another 08 with this problem, that would be interesting. But older posts are full of Generation 1 Busa's with similar problems.(Gen 1 using the same battery. Thanks

I don't know for sure, but IF the '08 uses the same battery as the gen1 Busas or the '08s battery is rated for something like 160cca.  Then its the WEAK A$$ battery Suzuki keeps putting in these bikes.  Sometimes you get a better battery, sometimes you get a not so good one.

I had the same problem on my '02.  But I replaced the weak stock battery with a high output battery from schnitz racing, 235cca vs 160cca, and have never had a problem since.

My thoughts exactly, I think regardless of the outcome, Ill order the higher output battery.Thanks

Back