gen 2 hard to start when hot??

justa-busa-girl

Registered
I have a question, ive read quite a bit about people having trouble with the 08 busa not wanting to start when its hot. Why is this and what can be done about it?? Would putting a better bigger battery in it cure the problem?? The reason i ask is last year i was in the finals at our strip and when it was my turn to pull up to race the bike wouldnt start, my heart started to race lol talk about panic!!! then all of a sudden it fired up... i dont want to have to deal with this again.

The stock battery should still be fine. If the starter turns normally there is no problem with the battery. In case the starter is slow it could be worth to check the chargin voltage and condition of the battery.

Holding the throttle open ever so slightly upon hitting the starter should cure your problem; which, by the way, isn't really a problem since they mention this technique for hot starts in the Owner's Manual.

Don't know if it will help you, but on my 750 Ninja I had, I ran a extra power wire to a toggle for the fan so while doing my hard runs and right after, the fan would stay running to help keep it cooled down. Not sure if that would work on a busa, but just a thought.

Don't know if it will help you, but on my 750 Ninja I had, I ran a extra power wire to a toggle for the fan so while doing my hard runs and right after, the fan would stay running to help keep it cooled down. Not sure if that would work on a busa, but just a thought.
When the motor is shut off the coolant stops circulating, so it kinda defeats the purpose.....
Wiring a fan switch will enable you to run the fan when it wouldn't normally be kicked on, which will help cool it down quicker when the bike is running however.

I have a question, ive read quite a bit about people having trouble with the 08 busa not wanting to start when its hot. Why is this and what can be done about it?? Would putting a better bigger battery in it cure the problem?? The reason i ask is last year i was in the finals at our strip and when it was my turn to pull up to race the bike wouldnt start, my heart started to race lol talk about panic!!! then all of a sudden it fired up... i dont want to have to deal with this again.
I shut the bike down as soon as I hit the return road, coast back to my spot in the pits. I also push the bike from the staging lanes into the water box and don't fire it up until it's time for the burnout. You running coolant or water wetter? As long as you remember to drain it before the temps drop in the winter, it's a good addition to lower your operating temps.

Many, many miles, never an issue.

You said you've read 'quite a bit...' Out of curiosity, where did you read this?

I had that problem with my 05 Busa, the battery wasnt fully charged, I would suggest to get the battery tender jr and leave it plugged in anytime you are not ridding (that is what I do and dont have any problems)

Many, many miles, never an issue.

You said you've read 'quite a bit...' Out of curiosity, where did you read this?

just here and thier on diffrent forums and talking to diffrent people that own them, im not saying that its a common problem, i read about it a long time ago and told who ever it was that mine never had the problem then not long after that is when it wouldnt start. It only happened once but that really was the only time at the races that i started it hot it usally gets plenty of time to cool down before the next pass, so im just hoping that its not something that is going to happen to often.

just here and thier on diffrent forums and talking to diffrent people that own them, im not saying that its a common problem, i read about it a long time ago and told who ever it was that mine never had the problem then not long after that is when it wouldnt start. It only happened once but that really was the only time at the races that i started it hot it usally gets plenty of time to cool down before the next pass, so im just hoping that its not something that is going to happen to often.

I see. Well, I appreciate your taking the time to answer my question. :beerchug: Good luck!

Haven't ever had that prob with my '08 and its been plenty hot here in fla. I'd be all over the battery connections and the ground.

A friend of mine runs a dry cell battery, it stopped that problem on his harley, 525cca for 3 seconds, the gen II has 12.5:1 compression, higher than gen I, if you have been running it hard,shut it off then try to crank it right away it can be hard to start, the dry cell battery should cure that problem..just my 2 cents

Ive seen this problem on my Busa a few times already and it doesnt appear to be a battery issue for me as I had it on a tender all winter. I will try the 'throttle cracking' trick next time it happens.

you can pop open the gas cap for a second too might help as well with the vapor lock

Are you saying the engine won't turn over or that it won't catch?

If it is the former I had an issue with my dealership not installing the battery cable correctly. They had cross threaded it so when every thing was cold it would start. After everything was warm contact would some times be intermitent to the point my dash would not even Boot! I nursed it back home and found the issue. Long Story Short (too late), check the positive conection.

The day I got my K8 Busa, I let it idle quite a bit showing it to my friends, starting and restarting while idling for long periods of time. Finally it didnt start.

After extensive conversation with folks here and at my dealer, I came to two conclusions.

1. My factory battery (Yuasa Gel type), is suseptable to not charging properly if not done so initially by the dealer. I upgraded to the Schnitz higher amperage lead/acid battery.

2. Idling for long periods of time will "Heatsoak" the starter, once this happens, NO "realistic" amount of battery amperage will effectively turn the starter, until it has a chance to cool down.

Last summer I got stuck behind an accident on the interstate, it was near 100 degrees on the hot asphalt, I let the bike idle, in the heat for a half hour. Good news is it never went above the half way mark on the temp gage, actual/important temp stayed in the "green".

Dummy me thought I would be there for another half hour and turned the bike off:banghead:

No sooner had I turned the bike off and cars started to move. I went to start the bike and it acted like a low battery, not enough juice to turn the engine over, "or so It seemed".

I believed from my initial hot starting experience and knowledge gained from others, that the battery was fine, and I just needed to let the starter cool off.

I pushed the bike to the side of the interstate and let it sit for 20 minutes, I went to start it, turned over fine and away I went.

I'm not sure what you could do to prevent a "heatsoaked" starter, wrapping headers?

I now assume if I idle for long periods of time,in the heat, not to count on an imeediate restart. Either keep the bike running,(it will be fine to do so), or shut off, and go eat lunch/snack for 20 minutes, Just my experience and .02

Last edited:
This happened to my 08 last year during Biketoberfest when Jrbusa and I went to Daytona for the day...after pulling off from heavy traffic I shut the buike off for 10 minutes and then it wouldnt start???

I waited about 10 minutes and it fired back up, hasn't done it since, but then its not summer yet and I havent been stuck in that kind fo traffic since where it's had a chance to overheat. All this to say, it could happen, but prob not a MAJOR concern..good luck..

My 06 Busa seems to be hard starting after it sits for about 5-10 minutes. I am new to the EFI gig, had a 97 carbed XX before this Busa. The XX fired every time I hit the button. The Busa seems to be a bit finicky on the warm restarts. I didnt know about cracking the throttle - never read the manual
. Will keep that in mind the next time.

Back