08 no start

zook

Registered
Does anyone have an idea about this? My 08 with 10,000 miles has been sitting in my garage since 09 due to my surgery and I start it every week for about 5 mins, give it a little rev, idle another couple more mins then shut it off. well the battery took a dump and i hooked up a battery charger to start it about 5 different times but when I got my new battery in it, it just cranks but doesn't start. it's never been raced and was sounding fine the last time i started it. could I have blown a fuse or fuse link ? gas is new and full and the oil is full also. I'll appreciate any ides or info. Thanks

When u turn key on does fuel pump prime?
Is it turning over like it should?
Could be a number of things...
Getting fuel and fire?
Battery good? I know its new but who knows sometimes..
Tip over switch
Clutch switch
Kickstand switch
Fuses all good?
Have u changed anything else out??
Since it last ran??

everything sounds normal fuel pump turns on. I havent changed anything but the battery and the cranking speed is good. I haven't checked the fuses cause suzuki decided to bury them. are they under the plastic to the left of the tank?

Ya the fuses are on that left side..

When u hooked and unhooked the bat was there a spark or grounded out?
U didnt forget to hook anything up to the battery?
Just throwing ideas out there..

well running it the way you were would be one of the worst you could to to any engine...but the first thing i would do is drain the old gas and refill with fresh gas and then try and start it at wot and see what if it does...if that dont do anything i would((check)) change the plugs

why would that be the worst thing i could do ? I started it and let it idle to get the oil to the top before I revved it, then didn't over rev it to keep it from creating a ridge then let it idle then shut it off. what would have been better? I'll try all the ideas everyone gave me. Thanks

check and double check around the battery that you didnt discconect a wire of somekind, it almost sounds like a fuse got blown to me tho. good luck

why would that be the worst thing i could do ? I started it and let it idle to get the oil to the top before I revved it, then didn't over rev it to keep it from creating a ridge then let it idle then shut it off. what would have been better? I'll try all the ideas everyone gave me. Thanks

When you burn gasoline, or any hydrocarbon fuel, you get a bye-product of water. With the method you mentioned in your opening post you get lots of water vapor left in the engine. Water vapor will condense back to water and you can get rust internally. Suzuki has a section in the manual for long term storage and I don't have the manual in front of me but I believe it goes something like:

1. Put bike on stands
2. Fill Gas tank and add stabalizer
3. Pull spark plugs and put used oil in each cyclinder.
4. Pull Battery and then put battery on tender.

I am sure I am forgetting some steps but Suzuki doesn't recommend running the bike just at idle and then reving the engine for long term storage.

All this being said I don't think this is the cause of your problem. Since you're getting the bike to turn over and not firing I would just check the amps on the battery or put the bike in diagnostic mode and see if you can get any codes.

Good luck.

I'm a master auto tech but not a bike tech so I'm not sure how to put the bike into diagnostic mode. do you know how? And the long term storage just creeped up on me. it was only supposed to be a month and just kept extending to another and another. Thanks for your help

5 mins idle is not the same as getting the whole engine up to temperature and running efficiently.

during the cold start, all the white smoke and water deposits, is not your best friend.
check/change you plugs, dump the oil and add new gas.

Back