2001 Busa won't turn over

MRLIVEWIRE

Registered
Hi I have a 2001 Hayabusa that won't turn over. When I start the bike up I can hear the engine trying to turn over, it just seems like it is sputtering. If I open the throttle wide and hold the throttle for a while it will crank up. I don' think it's a battery issue, purchased a new battery and same problem. Me and my buddy just installed new NGK iridium plugs and still the same issue. I've read on here that it may be the rectifier, but if that was it wouldn't that drain my battery. That doesn't seem to be the case at all as my battery still seems pretty strong. I live in the Philadelphia area and the last time I rode was about a month ago because of the cold weather. The last time I rode I had about a quarter tank of gas left in it. Could it be that the gas went bad? When I finally got the bike started I went to the gas station and filled the tank up, and added stabil. Even if I put new gas in could the bad gas still be the problem? If that could be the problem how do you correct that? Don't know what the problem is please help

I put the seafoam in about a quarter and now the bike is sputtering more frequently and harder to crank on now. I tried to let the bike run to cycle the seafoam through the system but the bike keeps stalling. Could it be that I need a new fuel pump?

I'm not sure about a Busa yet. But I know on most other bikes the fuel pump has a mesh strainer installed on the inlet of the fuel pump to keep debris from entering the pump. Pull the pump and inspect that strainer if you have one. It will resemble a small tea bag. Sometimes the ethanol in the fuels with separate and sludge. You may just need to clean that strainer. But I would clean the entire system. Change the fuel filter then run an injector cleaner through the system. It can only help. Best of luck to you! Also be careful how much sea foam you use.

get the fuel pump apart from the tank and clean her .... if that works ok, if not try to clean up the starter ..

the clutch is working properly ?

On your 2001, its an EXTERNAL pump (I think). You should be able to tell if its dead or not. You could also just replace it and see if that works but I'm willing to bet you just have trash in the system and you need to CLEAN it thoroughly

Last edited:
2001 was 1st year of internal pump
On your 2001, its an EXTERNAL pump (I think). You should be able to tell if its dead or not. You could also just replace it and see if that works but I'm willing to bet you just have trash in the system and you need to CLEAN it thoroughly

I'm gonna bet its simply your plugs. Probaly fouled nicely - spark is intermittent at best so it's sputtering and dying...increase the rpm, inrease the spark frequency- so it stays running.

I took the spark plugs out and they have some black stuff on them. Like I said earlier I just installed brand new plugs just the other day. I am trying to get the bike to fire up by holding the throttle like before, but now when I let the throttle go the bike instantly stalls out. I think I forgot to mention that the very first time this problem occurred when I couldn't get the bike started and finally got it running the bike tipped over in my driveway. Everything was fine with the bike cosmetically, just bent the left slider a little. Could the fall had anything to do with that black stuff on my new plugs now? My neighbor took a look at my sparkplugs and told me that I needed to ride the bike and to try to get the rpm's up to redline to try to heat the plugs up. Only problem now is I can't get the bike fully started all the way.

Oil on the plugs? That's not a good sign bro. I'm sorry to hear that. Please keep us posted and pics if you can

Back