07 Won't Turn Over

Tylerfromcheddars

Registered
I first suspected it to be a bad battery which it was but I just put a new one in and the lights and horn work well and seem like they do normally but when I try and start it, it turns over very slowly 2 or 3 times and the lights go dim and then when you let off the fuel pump will do its thing then the lights will brighten back up but will not turn over fast enough. I've read a multitude of possibilities but I'm guessing it's just a bad starter at this point?

Is your new battery good? They come less than charged and damaged sometimes... I would check the battery for the standing charge, then with the ignition on and finally when you crank the bike to rule it out as the problem.

Last edited:
Is your new battery good? They come less than charged and damaged sometimes... I would check the battery for the standing charge, then with the ignition on and finally when you crank the bike to rule it out as the problem.
The battery was in good condition and is charged

Is your new battery good?

They come less than charged and damaged sometimes . . .

I would check the battery for the standing charge,
then with the ignition on and finally when you crank the bike to rule it out as the problem.

Perhaps it was assembled in late 2007 ~ and it needs to be sent in for a recall ?

are you advancing the throttle switch when you have this issue or have you started it without doing that? reason I say that is because my 1397 is really had to start even with the high output battery i have in it when i advance the throttle. when i leave the switch back its a lot better. just a thought

What type of battery do you have SLA or Li ? What's the outside temp where you're at ? and before I would tear into a starter or engine I'd make darn sure that the new battery is fully charged and passes a load test at my local auto parts store or shop. Sounds like a discharged or bad battery to me. That battery more than likely will not pass a proper load test. Bulbs, gauges, fuels pumps don't take a great deal of current but that starter motor turning that motor over does.

Might not hurt to check for corrosion at the relay and starter.

Grounds as well.

If it's corroded don't just clean them ~ replace them with new larger wires . . .

cable5.jpg

Back