2000 Busa won't turn over when at operating temp

So I was talking to a buddy about the problem on my bike and he asked me if I had a Power Commander V. I said "yes I do" and then he stated that the PCV could be the problem. I figured I would give it the old college try being that it's not a hard upgrade to return back to stock.

I cranked the bike and set the choke for like 1500 RPMs and let the bike run until it got to operating temp and turned off on it's own. I then went and tried to start the bike and the bike wouldn't start up. So I unplugged the PCV and then the bike started right up. At this point the bike is still at operating temp and I set the throttle around 1500 RPMs again and let it run. Funny thing, but yet a good thing, is that the bike stayed on and didn't shut off at all. Temp was even hotter than what it would normally get to before it cut off.

So looks like the PCV is going bad or the Map is corrupt. I'm going to try and load up a new map and see what happens.

Just wanted to update you guys on what I found.

I will take this topic to not open a new one:

TL;DR:
busa'2000 power cut after demand:
my guess it's clogged fuel filter inside the pump that doesn't allow fuel pump to recover when prolonged gas power it's requested (so the fuel circuits goes on depression or cavitates or something until restart).

Last saturday I was riding up the mountains when, suddently, my 'Busa started clogging above 5000 rpms.
I could keep it on below, but giving more gas or sudden gas would end into a sudden power cut/loss; keeping on giving more gas would start to bump on power like on/off with little bangs on the exhaust pipes.
Then I stopped and put in Neutral, tried to round up engine but it would cut off even in Neutral and after a little (30 seconds) engine died.

Consider before mountains I was riding happinessly at 6-7000 rpms in the highway at 200km/h without problems.
Later (like 5 minutes later engine died) restarted engine without any problem (flawlessly), pump did his usual BZZZ. Turned off, waited some more, friend came back and I turned my Busa down and restarted engine going back to home.

No more problems, tried to ramp up to 10.500 rpms in the highway, no issue, neither outside the highway at high/low rpms. I thought bad fuel but..

Yesterday went to the local hills: I hard like 3/4 tank with 100 octanes fuel (instead of usual 95) with added Winni's injection cleaner and Ravenol octane booster + cleaner.
Did up and down, engine went smooth as usual.

Went back to home on a superstreet clear off traffic and revved to rev limitator (11.500rpms) in 1° and 2° gear without ANY issue. Kept a good high-rev speed until the urban areas.
Later gave gas and problem resumed again, power cut off, power bumping on/off later, pulled clutch and engine stalled/died after some little bangs. Waited 30 seconds, restarted, problem still there, but I could drive at minimum gas up to the gas station. From previous 3/4 tank had still 1 gallon (yet reserve led to light on).
Did +1 gallon (so 2 gallons in the tank). Bike went on, no issues.

My 'Busa ofc it's a 2000 engine edition, 340+10 kph external fuel pump. 71.000 kms, exhaust 4:2:1 from 51 to 60mm non-kat

My guess is that the inner fuel pump filter it's clogged with sh!t, still can pressure OK the fuel at low-mid rpms or with short (time) power requests. But upon requesting power for prolonged times the circuit empties and requires a restart so the fuel can re-pressure the circuit.

Any guess?

I will take this topic to not open a new one:

TL;DR:
busa'2000 power cut after demand:
my guess it's clogged fuel filter inside the pump that doesn't allow fuel pump to recover when prolonged gas power it's requested (so the fuel circuits goes on depression or cavitates or something until restart).

Last saturday I was riding up the mountains when, suddently, my 'Busa started clogging above 5000 rpms.
I could keep it on below, but giving more gas or sudden gas would end into a sudden power cut/loss; keeping on giving more gas would start to bump on power like on/off with little bangs on the exhaust pipes.
Then I stopped and put in Neutral, tried to round up engine but it would cut off even in Neutral and after a little (30 seconds) engine died.

Consider before mountains I was riding happinessly at 6-7000 rpms in the highway at 200km/h without problems.
Later (like 5 minutes later engine died) restarted engine without any problem (flawlessly), pump did his usual BZZZ. Turned off, waited some more, friend came back and I turned my Busa down and restarted engine going back to home.

No more problems, tried to ramp up to 10.500 rpms in the highway, no issue, neither outside the highway at high/low rpms. I thought bad fuel but..

Yesterday went to the local hills: I hard like 3/4 tank with 100 octanes fuel (instead of usual 95) with added Winni's injection cleaner and Ravenol octane booster + cleaner.
Did up and down, engine went smooth as usual.

Went back to home on a superstreet clear off traffic and revved to rev limitator (11.500rpms) in 1° and 2° gear without ANY issue. Kept a good high-rev speed until the urban areas.
Later gave gas and problem resumed again, power cut off, power bumping on/off later, pulled clutch and engine stalled/died after some little bangs. Waited 30 seconds, restarted, problem still there, but I could drive at minimum gas up to the gas station. From previous 3/4 tank had still 1 gallon (yet reserve led to light on).
Did +1 gallon (so 2 gallons in the tank). Bike went on, no issues.

My 'Busa ofc it's a 2000 engine edition, 340+10 kph external fuel pump. 71.000 kms, exhaust 4:2:1 from 51 to 60mm non-kat

My guess is that the inner fuel pump filter it's clogged with sh!t, still can pressure OK the fuel at low-mid rpms or with short (time) power requests. But upon requesting power for prolonged times the circuit empties and requires a restart so the fuel can re-pressure the circuit.

Any guess?
Ummm, what?

Power cut off after long time requested power.
Fuel pump and fuel circuits going "blank" because of sh!t preventing pump from re-pressuring the fuel?

I suppose cavitation from a clogged filter is possible, but it's more likely that the pump is getting hot and vapor locking.
In case of such, considering my pump has still the original rubber around it, what could I do to keep it cool? Alluminium insulation around? (or the overheating comes off the insides? Then unveiling the outsides?)

Last edited:
In case of such, considering my pump has still the original rubber around it, what could I do to keep it cool? Alluminium insulation around? (or the overheating comes off the insides? Then unveiling the outsides?)
First you need to determine that is indeed the problem, and not something else. Do you have access to another pump?

First you need to determine that is indeed the problem, and not something else. Do you have access to another pump?
Nope, but yep, gonna check out insides and test stuff :) maybe if upon opening it will show mud and so on, problem solved.

Just an update on my bike Brown. I ended up having to replace the actual fuel pump in order to fix the problem. Runs like a champ now. Found some heat shielding to put in between the pump and the engine where the foam usually sits. Seems like there's no problem anymore. I'm guessing the pump just got old man. Thanks for the help.

Just an update on my bike Brown. I ended up having to replace the actual fuel pump in order to fix the problem. Runs like a champ now. Found some heat shielding to put in between the pump and the engine where the foam usually sits. Seems like there's no problem anymore. I'm guessing the pump just got old man. Thanks for the help.
Thanks for the update. Glad you were able to get a resolution, and it may well have been age.

Back