2000 Busa won't turn over when at operating temp

AJdaBeast86

Registered
I have searched the forums and it seems like people have similar problems but not the exact problem that I am having.

If I go into my garage right now and turn the key, pull in the clutch and press the start button then the engine will crank and turn over no problems. I started her up the other day and let it run while I was getting ready to jump on and ride for a bit. I go to get out the driveway and the bike cuts off completely. I go to start it back up and the bike will crank no problems but will not turn over while the engine was hot. I put the bike back in the garage and let it cool down and started it up about a hour later with no problems at all.

It's a brand new battery on the bike and I don't have to jump it to start the bike up from a cold start. I was just wondering if someone would have some info or could point me in the right direction to getting this fixed. I just can't understand while it cranks and starts up no problem when cold but just cranks and won't start at all when at operating temp.

I just ordered all the parts to upgrade the starter clutch... don't know if this is the fix but it won't hurt to go ahead and upgrade the parts.

Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

i would agree with the fuel pump being the culprit.

Fuel pump is probably getting hot and/or weak. Is the insulation around it still intact?

I will check once I get home about the insulation. I actually have a new fuel pump too. Might as well go ahead and put it in while I clean out the tank.

i would agree with the fuel pump being the culprit.

Viper, the fuel pump primes and everything like it should. I do have a brand new one that I could go ahead and put in. Might as well. But I had no problems with the bike and one day it just decided to cut off and not actually turn over when hot. I'm open to any help.

Viper, the fuel pump primes and everything like it should. I do have a brand new one that I could go ahead and put in. Might as well. But I had no problems with the bike and one day it just decided to cut off and not actually turn over when hot. I'm open to any help.
Mine would do the exact same thing. Change one thing at a time so that you can find the issue.

Sounds like vapor lock. Fuel is overheating

Zee that's what i'm thinking it is. Mr Brown mentioned it earlier. So my question is, if the insulation is gone around the fuel pump, is there a safe way or replacement I can find for this insulation to fix the problem?

There are probably replacements out there, but they may not be easy to find. You can probably make a workaround, it's a fairly rigid foam from the factory.

I appreciate the help Brown. I will do some research and see what I can find. I will more than likely relocate it. That's what i'm seeing is the fix. The stock location is a bad location.

Busabim, I seen the post about the low pressure fuel pump last night when I was searching. I was going to try it. It seems as if my problem now might be a bad fuel pump. I actually tried changing the fuel pump with a Quantum pump but the pump was faulty/defective. I had to put the factory pump back in the bike. As soon as the bike got to operating temp, it shut down on my while riding and didn't start back up for me to get 1/2 mile down the road until after about 20 mins of cooling down.

even if you get a new fuel pump you still have cutting out. The design is flawed and was deleted for good reason. Add low pressure fuel pump and voila.

Back