1st time oil change and

Hemiap

Registered
It was not easy... I now have smoke from the oil burning off of the heat wrap becuse the filter took an act of god to get it off it. Is this usual? I have giant hands so I think next time im getting a wrench or something... Also the bike didnt take all three quarts and I let it drain for 15 minutes or more while taking off the filter. What do yall do to make this easier???

Thanks

Mark the drain plug if you don't have a torque wrench and mark the filter and case when the gasket touches so you know where two turns are. And if I remember correctly, mine always took 4 quarts with a new filter.

9-18 07 oil change 021.jpg

9-18 07 oil change 006.jpg

9-18 07 oil change 007.jpg

9-18 07 oil change 014.jpg

9-18 07 oil change 017.jpg

9-18 07 oil change 030.jpg

9-18 07 oil change 036.jpg

9-18 07 oil change 037.jpg

Last edited:
Nice tutorial but I use a K&N filter and a wrench.:thumbsup: What do you mean it wouldn't 'take' three qts?

Last edited:
Mymaster.....most awesome use of ductape.

As far as smoking form oil...I used aluminum foil and made a route to divert the oil. Saw it recommeded here...worked well.

Would be good if Suzuki didn't put the filter in such a retarded place,
see (my) ZX14 for guidance. :poke::whistle:

It was not easy... I now have smoke from the oil burning off of the heat wrap becuse the filter took an act of god to get it off it. Is this usual? I have giant hands so I think next time im getting a wrench or something... Also the bike didnt take all three quarts and I let it drain for 15 minutes or more while taking off the filter. What do yall do to make this easier???

Thanks

Nothing. thats as easy as it gets. Its a ***** and there aint no way around it unfortunately :banghead:

+1 on the three quarts thing. Don't go by what's showing in the sight glass when you first fill it. Put 4 quarts in it, start it up and run it for a while (warm the motor up at least). Then shut it off, let it set for 10 or 15 minutes and check it. It'll be right at the top mark of the sight glass.:thumbsup:

And yes the filter is somewhat of a pain. I use a small strap wrench from Wal Mart. Lined the inside of the loop with a few layers of duct tape for traction, then pretty much do as MyMaster's tutorial says. Gets easier the more times you do it.

The oil filter pliers work the best....but don't do your filter any cosmetic favors :laugh:
It'll be K&N's with the nut on the end for me from here on out :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the info, makes me feel a little bit beter... As far as the three quarts statement, i put in three full quarts and it was full according to the eye glass. I will check it again today before i ride and add more as needed.
Than:beerchug:ks!!!

I always change my oil when the bike is hot for a complete drain ( just my opinion, not necessarily the only way to do it ). The 3 qt. comment scares me. Should get close to 4 with the filter and regardless of the manual when I change the oil I change the filter.
The factory filters can be a biotch to remove and I guess if a shop does the previous change. I always go hand tight. Never had a leak. :beerchug:

OK, the 4qt thing scares me, Ive always put in 3.5 as per the book, are you guys putting in 4 quarts??

Just under four quarts with a filter change.

Did you manage to take that filter off by hand? Are you the Hulk or something?! :D

I hate that K&N filter. The nut always strips off. Plier wrench on OEM filters for me.

:D

--Wag--

4 quarts. The 3300 ml (3.5 quarts?) put mine at the bottom of the bottom line of the sight glass. Too low for comfort IMO. 3800 ml (approx. 4 quarts) puts it right on the top line, doesn't burn or blow any out, so the bike seems happy with it. Pretty much no chance of it ever sucking the sump dry under acceleration, deceleration, big lean angle, or an errant (totally unintended mind you:laugh:) wheelie.

Last edited:
Just under four quarts with a filter change.

Did you manage to take that filter off by hand? Are you the Hulk or something?! :D

I hate that K&N filter. The nut always strips off. Plier wrench on OEM filters for me.

:D

--Wag--

LOL well Im not hulk but I have no problem palming a basketball!!! Im 6'8 if that helps so Im not freakish looking..... or am I..... Any who I took it off with my two friends, Phillips and Hammer...but I will be buying something to make this easier!!

He had it on the side stand. That, and it probably wasn't all cooled down either. Galleys stay full a while. Next time, get a rear stand and you'll get all four quarts out, and in there...also get an Amsoil EAoM 109 oil filter. Best filter on the market. Run a good synthetic after break-in and you'll have plenty of trouble free miles. Also, run the revs high for now...get those rings out against the cylinder wall. If you baby this motor too long, she'll relax with the wrong ring / wall tension and you'll possibly eat some oil over time. I have 36,000 now, and I burn no oil whatsoever.... :super:

Back