1st ticket

It's tough to keep your head on straight during your first ticket, but should this happen again here's a couple of suggestions:

1. NEVER admit you were speeding to a cop! Imagine for a minute he didn't notice you were speeding, but was pulling you over to notify you your license plate was hanging by one bolt or something minor? Or perhaps his radar screwed up and he wasn't able to get a radar lock on you? And here you are admitting you're doing 100mph?!

And if you decide to fight a speeding ticket in court later (which you could have done!), your admittance to speeding definitely kills any fighting chance you have! Cop: "Uh, yes, your honor. The defendant freely admitted he was doing 100mph, exceeding the speed limit by 55mph." Ugh! Argh!!! Ouch! Hell no!!!
wow.gif

2. Get a lawyer and fight it in court! A lawyer may be able to totally get you off, or get you off on a lesser charge that doesn't add points (points = jacked up insurance). Also the cop may not show up to court at all, and the charge get thrown out.

Bottom line, stack the odds in your favor and don't be so honest next time! And finally something to consider. I've been told that 100mph in some states equals jail time!
rock.gif

I've been told that 100mph in some states equals jail time! [/QUOTE]

Cali: Yup. Triple digit rule. Bike impounded. Towing fee. Impound fee. Three points on your insurance for 5 years = high risk pool for reckless/driving to endanger. That cop cut you a big break. Take it.

Well, i was at work today and while i was on the platform (teaching) i get a voicemail from my wife. Sooooo, she called the automated # and paid the ticket. All i could say was...um, why? Anyways, it's over, next time i'll be more carefull, and well, that's about it...lol Thanks for all the input Bryan

I'm currently going through the same thing....get a lawyer!
ditto, I got a court date in Feb...i will be working that day while my lawyer handles it. Ticket was $190 ...lawyer was $400. Time and lost wages are worth $200 so its even.

He will most likely get it thrown out...the ticket was only 27 over so no biggie.

Another thought. If you fight it you may end up before a judge that hates sport bikers. God knows there are plenty of those kinds of judges out there. If you fight it and get a hater for a judge, and the officer testifies and maybe even shows a video of you saying you were going 90-95 you are TOAST. Just something to think about.

As for cops not showing up, it happens but I don't think it's as likely as some think. As was mentioned, we get overtime to be there and it's easy money. I don't know of any officers that miss court without first lining up a continuance ahead of time. Again, before someone chimes in and says they've had one dismissed because the cop didn't show, yes it happens. But even if 50 people could chime in and say it has happened for them, what do the odds calculate out to considering the thousands of tickets written per day. I think the "wait for officer to no show" defense is a pretty weak one to risk your $$$ and insurance rates on. Just my $.02...

So newmill, "triple digit rule" eh? Can you point out what section of the vehicle code you're referring to? In "Cali" speeding is an infraction and for (it) to be an arrestable offense it has to change categories like, getting bumped up to reckless driving for example, a misdemeanor. In nearly all cases the level of enforcement will be up to the LEO.

So newmill, "triple digit rule" eh? Can you point out what section of the vehicle code you're referring to? In "Cali" speeding is an infraction and for (it) to be an arrestable offense it has to change categories like, getting bumped up to reckless driving for example, a misdemeanor. In nearly all cases the level of enforcement will be up to the LEO.
In GA you can be jailed for ANY traffic/vehicle/equipment offense...

Interesting tidbid about my state:

"The law defining speeding to be reckless driving is not enforced. Online Driver's Guide. As in Oregon, "embracing another while driving" is illegal (reckless driving, 46.61.665). Is this a big problem in the northwest? "

lol

So here in WA , the way I read it (and heard it from another guy) is that technically you can be doing 250mph in a 70mph zone and still walk away with just a ticket....though you better be an expert negotiator.
cool.gif

Just go to court. You will go infront of the District Justice or Court of Common Pleas at which point you will simply ask the Justice to drop the ticket to something that would not involve points for you. 9/10 the Justice is more than likely to help you out. you do not have to have a lawyer or anything else. Most of the time you can talk to the officer before you go into see the justice.

The worst thing that can happen is you still end up having to pay the same ticket. the best thing that could happen is that the officer could have other things to do on that day and just not show up. If they don't show you are not guilty and you walk away with nothing.

Why pay a lawyer 750 dollars to show up to a prelim to fight a 100 ticket.???

arrestable offense it has to change categories like, getting bumped up to reckless driving for example, a misdemeanor. In nearly all cases the level of enforcement will be up to the LEO. [/QUOTE]

I think you answered your own question. Its up to the arresting officer. Like the one who drew his firearm on a guy in our group last August. Cuffed him and threatened to impound his bike for passing on a double yellow. Totally at his discretion to determine reckless driving, and of course it was. Ditto the "triple digit rule"....not codified in law but...2 wheels or four its way over the limit for reckless consideration. Unless the speed limit is 90.

Try it on the 680 some afternoon. Let us know how you make out
laugh.gif
Unless your an leo and can skate on the ticket anyway
wink.gif

Back