1st post in awhile

crash2000

Registered
okay the most important thing i nd 2 know is how to do a good enough paint job by myself using a paint gun r spray can paint....possible with spray can paint? k can someone explain to me the process of preping the plastics for paint and how to do it...like under coat clear coat primer etc.....how do they go..basic coat blahblahblah ohh and also sand paper..from which grit to which grit should i go final grit....paint will prob be solid color no flakes casue i heard they r a pain in the ass for the paint gun. im thinking of a porsche yellow busa r nice black..plz help

2nd thing is about the airbox mod how do i do the airbox mod and how much hp does it give me...right now im putting in a k&n airfilter and wanting to increase the airbox 4 more airflow...do i nd remapping of the fuel injection system?? currently have stock mufflers but have benn hallowed out with stock hayabusa pc II map

lastly how do i polish my rims frame etc??

sorry for all the questions but i want 2 know

jwcfbd

Administrator
Registered
Welcome back. Narcissus will be able to tell you all about painting. And there are plenty of others to tell you about the other mods you want to do. Is this the same Busa the you wrecked a while back? I thought you got it fixed.

Narcissus

Hayabusa Immortal
Registered
Hmmm... I ought to just make a tutorial.
biggrin.gif

The short answer, yes, you can do a professional job yourself. It will run around $200-250 for epoxy primer, base colors, polyurethane clear, catalyst, reducers and pearl flake. Then you will need a good paint gun ($150-450), Air compressor (~$200-300), air regulator and filter (~$100). Various other equipment, paint suit, filter mask, booth, filters, connectors, masking etc. which you can source/build for another $100-200.

This is doing it right for a show-quality finish that will be even more durable than even the OEM paint. It is also a lot of work wet sanding and polishing the final product (I am still not completely finished doing mine).

It does cost a lot, especially for doing just one bike, but it is rewarding and with the experience, you can always advertise at bike events, boards, etc. and paint other bikes/cars to get a little cash flow to pay back the equipment costs (I have not bothered doing this myself, yet).

Now, if you don't want to go through the bother and just want a quick job, you can use spray cans and get a decent job, but generally, the finish will not last very long and you will be re-spraying every few months.

Right now I am getting ready for a trip tomorrow. So, let me know what kind of finish you want (basic refinish or a final show finish) and what the current shape of your bike is (any rash that needs repair, already re-painted, etc.). I will post more info tomorrow night to further answer your questions.
thumbs-up.gif

Narcissus

Hayabusa Immortal
Registered
Oh, one other point, flakes are not at all a problem. Use 1-2 T. per mixed quart of clear coat and add more reducer. A jar of dry pearl flake runs like $15, with enough to do several cars. The trick is laying the right amount of layers so that all panels match, which is more an issue of how good your booth lighting is to match and compare pieces.

crash2000

Registered
yea i did fix my bike awhile back but i burnt my clutch so its kind of apart now but will be back and running by next week...anyways for the paint i guess all go for the pro job..and yea my plastics r in bad condition but ill try my best 2 bring them 2 new...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
IG. First log in and 1st post since Sandy - got flooded - all is gone including the bike General Bike Related Topics 51
M 1st post/2nd try New Owners Forum 14
02spool 1st time post General Bike Related Topics 15
D 1st post!  Busa/Bandit General Bike Related Topics 5
M 1st post, soon to own... New Owners Forum 11
T 1st post had error New Owners Forum 7
G 1st Post new Busa General Bike Related Topics 32
L 1st post, 2nd bike, and darkout plate:) General Bike Related Topics 28
S 1st post Geographic Riding Areas 11
B 1st Gen Complete Fairing Kit $650 Parts and Modifications 1
B I need to ask u 1st gen vs 2nd gen exh header General Bike Related Topics 1
Blacksmith Happy 1st anniversary to my baby! General Bike Related Topics 11
SSGT_B 1st Ride Report General Bike Related Topics 4
SSGT_B 1st Biking Class Done Random Thoughts 5
c10 1st attempt @ cutting down stoc seat . General Bike Related Topics 10
G 1st time Busa owner Gen II Busa Information 36
B "jumping" when releasing clutch in 1st gear - "kangaroo feeling" General Bike Related Topics 0
c10 Blind Mechanic drives for 1st time. Touching video Off Topic 3
Blacksmith 1st ever, pls dont judge to harshly... New Owners Forum 57
RedBull 1st Street Bike ~ Teenage Riders * General Bike Related Topics 42
c10 1st valve check @ 24,000 miles Gen II Busa Information 5
P 1st gear problems General Bike Related Topics 10
c10 1st Go Pro on the Bird . General Bike Related Topics 16
Mikesbaron 1st Gen suspension baselines. General Bike Related Topics 3
ItsDooomz New Busa, 1st oil change and a few upgrades General Bike Related Topics 16
Mikesbaron Where is fuel filter on 1st Gen? Busa problems 9
Mikesbaron I Fitted 2nd Gen Onto My 1st Get. Appearance mods 1
Mikesbaron Minimalist Rear Hugger For 1st Gen? Appearance mods 9
ky busa 1st Valve Adjustment At 67000miles Here Is What I Found (pics) General Bike Related Topics 28
KooK Can I Get A Length Measurement (1st Gen) General Bike Related Topics 2
B Gen 1 - Recommended Mods For 1st Drag Bike 1/4 Mile 16
J Clutch Knock When Pulling Away In 1st Gear Busa problems 12
SSGT_B 1st Gopro Video Videos 10
S 1st Gen Factory Riding Height General Bike Related Topics 1
Bigboy Busa2 Lowered Front Fender -1st Gen Busa Mods 0
S Proper Way To Remove Injectors (1st Gen)? Busa problems 8
Busa_J Long Time Rider, 1st Busa New Owners Forum 10
G 6th Bike, 1st Busa New Owners Forum 9
Jose Guzman 1st Gen 1300r 1st Gear Clater Sound Only In 1st What Is It Any Help? Busa problems 1
ChristianPR Busa 08 Wheels On 1st Gen? General Bike Related Topics 1
metalli445 1st Gen Overheating Issue Busa problems 11
smitti New 2009 Busa 1st mod - 330 OSD Single Sided Swingarm Appearance mods 8
B 1st and 2nd gear slip? General Bike Related Topics 6
Sidebike Difference between 1st & 2nd generation Hayabusa (hope to transfer sidecar) General Bike Related Topics 14
iceman1000 1st gear issue Busa problems 8
M clutch grabby into 1st Busa problems 0
M CLUTCH JUDDER / GRAPPING..... and LOCKED IN 1ST GEAR Busa problems 4
GEARJAMMER Will I win my 1st race @ Harrisburg IL ? Random Thoughts 2
Jdog109socal Mesa Grande Rd.. 1st timer here Videos 3
SuedePflow Recommend a 1st bike for my girlfriend The Playground 33