Spray paint job - asking for advice

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Will appreciate advice from those who are in the body repair shop business, or with experience.

Have to fix a bit of track damage on a GXR600, small tank dent, some scratches on plastic.

This will be my process, help me where I may have it wrong.

1.) Tank, sand the dent and around it with 80 grit and use filler.

2.) Plastics, sand around the scratched up areas 80 grit and use filler.

3.) Sand filler down with final sand around 200 grit

4.) Scuff sand lightly rest of painted area at about 400 grit.

5.) Spray primer, two coats and sand down to 1000 wet sand.

6.) Spray final coats, black base only, how many coats will do the job? Planning two coats.

7.) Compound with three stages, rough, fine and polish, using a buffer.

If you want send them to me and I'll fix damage and re spray the parts. I'm a pro painter look in the general bike forum and look for the thread titled My Old Bikes those pics show my work.
I use auto paint with a HVLP gun rather than spray cans.

If you want send them to me and I'll fix damage and re spray the parts. I'm a pro painter look in the general bike forum and look for the thread titled My Old Bikes those pics show my work.
I use auto paint with a HVLP gun rather than spray cans.

Using rattle can only on damaged areas will never match. So depending on your expectations of the finished job this isn't a bad idea (or someone you may know local.)

If you are still thinking of going through with it you may want to consider spraying your damaged base, then mask off a wider area. Next spray down some clear adhesion promoter, and clear coat the wider area so it can overlap with your good clear and hopefully not flake off as soon. Still wont look amazing, but it will last longer.

If you want to have me do it I'll probably do the work for free you would just pay for shipping and materials.

Guys, thanks the help in the ORG family is just superb, honored to be here.

I have professional spray equipment, as I do a lot of woodwork and already purchased all the coatings. Will call Loomis's father in law tonight just to check and make sure I do not miss anything with the automotive coatings and filler as I have not worked with these for many years and everything is new.

Guys, thanks the help in the ORG family is just superb, honored to be here.

I have professional spray equipment, as I do a lot of woodwork and already purchased all the coatings. Will call Loomis's father in law tonight just to check and make sure I do not miss anything with the automotive coatings and filler as I have not worked with these for many years and everything is new.

Nice. With spray equipment I know there is a mid coat that will allow the new clear and old clear to bond. I just don't remember the name of it. He may know....

All done and ready to go. Kinda sad to let her go, she is nimble, easy to ride and above 10,000rpm she comes alive like a race horse.

002E.jpg

002E.jpg

Looks Good. :thumbsup: Got any before and after pictures?

I didn't think your speeding ticket was so much that you had to sell a bike to pay for it. :rofl:

Or is it that it's even easier to get a ticket on that one and you can't afford another ticket? :laugh:

"I didn't think your speeding ticket was so much that you had to sell a bike to pay for it."

LOL

Selling the Harley and the Gixxer, don't get time to ride. Most time goes to cycling, looking at building a new Colnago, around $10,000 if I build it myself and shop around for parts from Europe.

C60.png

C60.png

don't get time to ride

Well come on now - WE all know, you make time to do the things you want to do.

So if you wanted to you COULD ride the other bikes - but I agree the bicycle is probably better for your health. :laugh:

You are probably not your average Joe if you are willing to spend $10K on a bicycle that you have to build yourself.

So when will we see you in the Tour de France?

I guess with a bicycle you can't get a motor vehicle code violation, even if you are speeding. :rofl:

:whistle:???
Using rattle can only on damaged areas will never match. So depending on your expectations of the finished job this isn't a bad idea (or someone you may know local.)

If you are still thinking of going through with it you may want to consider spraying your damaged base, then mask off a wider area. Next spray down some clear adhesion promoter, and clear coat the wider area so it can overlap with your good clear and hopefully not flake off as soon. Still wont look amazing, but it will last longer.

Could just say screw it and paint the whole thing I don't know anybody who would do that though

:whistle:???

Could just say screw it and paint the whole thing I don't know anybody who would do that though

I ended up spraying the whole bike.:banghead:

This is how this went down:

1.) Go to the auto paint shop, tell them I have not sprayed auto in 30 years, know nothing about new coatings, I need help.

2.) Auto-shop employees look at me as if I am 4 star General about to deploy them, dead silence.

3.) I offer a black tank cover ask them if they can match the color?

4.) One guy comes up and says he may have something in the computer, checks model and year, says he can match the paint, will cost $160 a quart.

5.) I ask what primer I need, they first look at me then at each other, one guy says this is the right primer.

6.) I ask if I need a reducer, they say yes give me a reducer.

7.) Go home, do some research on the net, to find out I need a clear-coat and a base coat.

8.) Go back to the store, they give me this time what I researched from PPG coatings online. Lots of $$$ by this time.

9.) Start spraying, the color is dark metallic grey, instead of black!!!!. It looks good though, so I decide to spray the black parts metallic grey.

10.) Order a OEM fairing real expensive, it arrives, I ordered the wrong color. So, decided to spray the whole darn bike.

11.) Lots of frustration, but in the end it came out great.

12.) Anyone wants to paint a bike, call me I now know everything. :laugh:

019E.jpg

019E.jpg

Looks great I wish I had the time and ability to paint like that I've seen what happens when someone paints a bike and does a bad job of it hence the mad max rattle can job I have. on the up side I don't spend much time fretting over the finish I just hose her down in the spring and touch up the patches that need it and I'm good I would love to paint it that new Ford color tangerine scream I think it would really pop

Yes it does look GREAT. Good job. :thumbsup:

So you bought new plastic, so you didn't have to repair scratches, right?
Did you repair the dent in the tank and if so how?

How much did this job cost you? I assume you had the spray guns and compressor etc.
Many things have a learning curve but your project did come out looking great.
Did you have any troubles at all or did everything come out great the first time around?

Did you have a ventilated spray booth to work in or a homemade type of setup?

Spray the whole darn bike - I could tell from the photo - did you spray the frame too.
If so how far did you strip the bike down? Wheels off? etc.

RedBusarider "Yes it does look GREAT. Good job. :thumbsup:

Thanks

So you bought new plastic, so you didn't have to repair scratches, right?
Did you repair the dent in the tank and if so how?

I used a filler on the tank, had to repair some scratches on the tailbox and front screen plastics the same way.

How much did this job cost you? I assume you had the spray guns and compressor etc.
Many things have a learning curve but your project did come out looking great.
Did you have any troubles at all or did everything come out great the first time around?

To fix the bike, OEM left fairing, cover and tank cover, parts, paint about $1,500. I do woodwork as a hobby, spray a lot with a compressor and HVLP gun, auto is just different coatings, so it was easy for me.

Did you have a ventilated spray booth to work in or a homemade type of setup?

I spray in my garage, with two fans under the garage door, with HVLP the paint turns to dust about a yard away from the gun. Use a mask.

Spray the whole darn bike - I could tell from the photo - did you spray the frame too.
If so how far did you strip the bike down? Wheels off?"

All the plastics off and the front wheel to remove the front fender. Did not spray the frame.

Nice work! That finish looks great. Any color sanding? I still haven't tried out a HVLP gun. What are the specs on your compressor? And if its not too large, how well did it keep up?

I use a Husky 60 gallon compressor, runs about 15% of the time.

No sanding on the metallic coat as it leaves marks. Clear coat I had to touch up here and there with a few dust nibs and use a buffer.

I use a Husky 60 gallon compressor, runs about 15% of the time.

No sanding on the metallic coat as it leaves marks. Clear coat I had to touch up here and there with a few dust nibs and use a buffer.

Nice, my older paint gun works on my compressor. But I don't think my cfm would keep up with a HVLP.

:banghead::banghead:

I put it in for a price I hoped would not sell, about $1200 more than what I paid for it. See, I enjoyed riding it so much after putting it back on the road, that I satisfied wifey (she wants me off the track) with an over-priced add.

Looks like the military guys in Fort Bragg just love 600 Gixxers.

Oh well, first buyer is coming to look tonight, really wants it. :banghead:

Back