Please Help - Paint ?

Speednut

Registered
Hey everyone. I have a 2007 blue busa. I saw here someone posted a website(think it was color-rite) or something similar where you can find paint matches for our bikes. I really want to paint my stock windscreen. I like the stock shape the best, so I dont want to replace it. Tried it already, and fit was not correct. Anyways, can anyone give suggestions for a do-it-myself project here? What I should sand it with/prep it with etc. I plan on purchasing the $35 freaking dollar can of spray paint off of that site to do this job. And was also considering a reflective clear coat spray paint I saw at home depot to maybe try something a bit different. Maybe just a reflective kanji logo, and the rest a regular clear coat. Any help or suggestions would really be much appreciated since its cold here in chicago, and I wanna start the cold season off with a project to get me moving. Thank you ! And if anyone has pick of their bike with a painted windscreen please post those too. That way I can show the wife how good it MAY look when I'm finished.

Here is a pic of my Evelyn with her screen painted, I used a $4 dollar can of semi gloss spray from home depot and painted the inside so that the outside of the screen stays nice and glossy. Zero Gravity screens fit very well. +1
thumb_up.gif

DSC00756.JPG

When spraying plastics, you need to apply an adhesion promoter first, before applying the color. And you should always apply a clear coat too. Be careful if you mix your paint products. Meaning, dont get the color rite (urethane) paint and then use a acrylic enamel clear bought at Home Depot! No,no...
Stick with the same manufacturer. How do I know this? Cause I am "paint man!!!
thumb_up.gif

sure wish home depot had a color similar to the 2007 blue. i couldnt find one, or i would try it out. if i use an adhesion promoter first, is there any sanding required?

brendanp if painting the inside, couldnt you just do a scuff job and use something like Krylon fussion paint for plastic? I know it is not the quality of real paint but curious...

GLAD YOU POSTED THIS !!! I want to do the same thing, I like the shape of my stock windshield, and I can't tuck my fat a$$ enough to see through it anyway. I was just going to do what Bogus said ?

90 cent can of gloss black from Wally World did the trick for me...no prep, nada...did both OEM & Puig DB...

In the auto paint section of walmart they sell bulldog adhesion promoter. You can use that first then paint it will stick very well. I have a drop down tv in my truck. Used bulldog then matched the color. Its been over a year of use and the paint is holding strong.

I was going to just paint the inside of the windscreen. not gonna work now i guess since then the color wouldnt be seen through the screen, the promoter would. either gotta paint it inside and out, or just take a chance and paint the inside only with no preparation before hand. crap.

i painted the inside of a scratched up stock screen flat black .. No special paint or prep. It turned out well and been using it for 2 years. I think it took 4-5 coats to get full coverage but the whole job took less than an hour.
Screen is still scratched but hard to notice now.

GLAD YOU POSTED THIS !!! I want to do the same thing, I like the shape of my stock windshield, and I can't tuck my fat a$$ enough to see through it anyway. I was just going to do what Bogus said ?
I dont know how it would turn out. When I do painting, I always do a professional job by using pro materials. The bulldog sprays on clear. You may get away with just scuffing with scotchbrite or fine sandpaper.
Most of the time, I do stuff for people on forums like this or friends, the last thing I need is for their paint to "flake off"...that is why I reccommend doing it my way.
It is worth a try doing it the quick way....

At $325.00, I couldn't even think of painting my Irridium Magical Racing Screen...  
wowold.gif

wowold.gif

wowold.gif

IMG_9202.jpg

wowold.gif

wowold.gif

yikes! 325 is a lot of cash for a screen, but that one seemsworth it. i'll be trying the bulldog and paint idea.

yikes! 325 is a lot of cash for a screen, but that one seemsworth it. i'll be trying the bulldog and paint idea.
when you spray, just dont try to cover it all at once. that is the key to a no runs finish. use 2-3 coats of bulldog, then go to your paint.
Good luck, let us know how it comes out!
thumb_up.gif

just put on a couple coats of the clear primer... man i hope this works out. the closest color i could find to 2007 blue is not really that close
argue.gif
but i am going to hope for the best. now i'm waiting 1 hour like it says before applying color coat. debating if i should clear over the color when its done. probably should. will keep updating. i sure dont like trying out things like this, unless of course, they turn out good. i may need a small kanji logo or something to break it up when its done.

Why didn't you buy the color rite can of spray paint. It would match really good?

Back