any painters in here?  Base, clear vs. Urethane

Lyrikz

Registered
Im working on doing my third paint job here pretty soon and im thinking of using a 1 stage urethane paint instead of the base, clear coat way.

Any painters in here tell me why i should stick with the base,clear instead of the urethane??

Pros- urethane
*with the one stage urethane, i can put on aobut 6 coats, and anytime the car gets scratched i can just sand out the scratches and buff smooth.
* one stage paint, quicker paint time

Cons- urethane
*never used it before

Pros- base, clear
* used it before, nothing new

Cons- base,clear
*expensive, takes longer to paint.

Anybody add to this??

Thanks guys

In my opinion the 2 stage paint looks better and you could do more (graphics)  Also with the sanding the scratches out.  Just load up the clear and if you scratch it then you could still sand out the scratches. Plus another pro of the 2 stage is when you put alot of clear and colorsand/buff it the paint job looks deeper than it would with the single stage. I will post some pics of my new paint job next week when I finish it. It is a 2 stage. But I have the marble and some more graphics going on tomorrow.

<!--EDIT|Rich
Reason for Edit: None given...|1093591865 -->

Iv'e owned a body and paint shop for 35 years, and have seen plenty of changes in design, and quality of paints. There are several reasons why 2 stage systems, (basecoat-clearcoat) are superior. They are as follows: #1 alot easier to get the color looking smooth and trash free. Base color drys very quickly, if u get trash, or a flaw of any kind, you simply wait a few minutes, sand and recoat. Not possible with urethane. #2 Solid colors are as not as critical, but mettallics are, the mettallics lay on the surface and need to be protected with a clear. It doesn't matter how many coats u put on, Without a clear protection, your'e ottaluck if u scratch it. #3 Clear coated cars, and bikes have much more brilliance, a wet look, that urethane does not. And #4 Namebrand clears have maximum UV protection over urethanes, and that is very important for silvers, and reds and colors that inherintley fade fast. Now, I know that 2 stage is alonger process and alittle more expensive, But not being satisfied and having to redo it is expensive too. Hands down, 2 stage is the winner!!!!!!!!!!!! hope this has helped u.

Back