1st Gear

kilpatricks

Donating Member
Registered
hey guys,

Is it a Normal thing, when sitting in neutral and then clicking down to first gear, there is a clunk noise??

or can this be helped?

I know this happened on my R6.
coffee.gif

hrrrm I will answer my own question....... I should have read BUSA Problems first... obviously not a problem just a normal thing

Yeah, I've noticed that problem with just about every bike I've owned/rode. Seems like the engineers would figure out a way to soft engage the 1st gear from idle, I mean, Baker made a 6spd trans for Harley guys, and Honda made a Reverse for the Goldwing!

The clunk comes from the stickyness of the clutch.  When the tranny is in neutral the clutch is not moving with the engine, it is held stationary to the output (clutch back) part of the drivetrain... even when you pull in the clutch lever, the plates are still in contact and because of the oil, the plates stick together and have a good ammount of suction friction between them.  This circumstance stays until you shift into gear and the clutch starts slipping, which quickly lubes everything up better and lowers the clutch friction.  The clunk comes from the shock of the clutch and clutch housing being more or less instantly accelerated to the speed of the transmission output shaft as the gear is engaged.

I should add, every wet clutch on a bike I've used has done this.

All my bikes make the clunk sound when going from neutral to first but the winner for 'loud' goes to the Harley Davidson.
all_coholic.gif

With a warm engine, if you pull & hold the clutch in about 10 to 15 seconds before you put it in gear its a lot quieter. The mainshaft slows down when the clutch is held in so the shift is not as violent. It works that way on my bike, your results may vary.

I've found that if I'm in gear, and pull the clutch in while the engine is stopped, then rock the bike back and forth until the clutch breaks, then go to neutral and start, there is no shock going into first gear.

This is on my 250, which may not have enough torque to shock the drivetrain anyway...
firedevil.gif

Back