Quick Tranny Question

WhiteBusa24

Registered
When I'm sitting @ a stop light, when I go into 1st gear the busa jerks forward and clicks into gear pretty hard. Is this normal? Also, I can go from 1,N,2nd,3rd, then I cant get into 4th or above until I move the bike forward a lil bit then I can hear the fork engage. Is this normal? 2nd gear pops @ 4k so I know that I have a bent shift fork, just wondering if the problems are all related.

Thanks
Ram

Not normal. You may also have some warped clutch plates making it drag a little (the "jerk forward" when you drop it in first).

hmm, well my buddy that I bought it from had a brand new clutch installed right before I bought it. Would the shift drum have anything to do with it? If it was the clutch plates, can you buy some new better clutch plates to remedy this?

hmm, well my buddy that I bought it from had a brand new clutch installed right before I bought it. Would the shift drum have anything to do with it? If it was the clutch plates, can you buy some new better clutch plates to remedy this?
Prolly not the plates then. The jerk forward indicates a dragging clutch for one reason or another. Your clutch is bled I presume, no air bubbles in the line? No grooves in the basket? Do you feel any pulling forward after you put it in gear, or can you just sit and let it idle in gear without holding the brake?

Last edited:
No pulling forward or anything. My buddy's '02 does the same thing for first gear, but doesnt see as bad. Mine is a pretty violent jerk forward.

Well, I'm out of ideas on the jerk forward. Popping out of gear at 4000 isn't good though, but that's outa my league. Clutch I know, tranny I don't..

Last edited:
Ohhhhh.... your talking about that kinda tranny! OK. Now it makes much more sense! lol :laugh::rofl:

ok on a serious note. Could the jerk forward be a more violent 1st gear clunk that happens on almost all bikes? Try this, when in nuetral, pull and release the clutch a few times and then shift. Sometimes mine will get stuck in N, and this will solve it. Also, after doing it, it shifts much smoother. If this is the case, then this just has to do with where the gears stopped and how they are trying to mesh together, nothing serious. Also, I'm not sure about shifting all the way through 6th while sitting still, I have heard this is bad to do. Not sure why, but thats just what I have heard.

Ok...so yesterday before leaving to school..I drop into first and a hard jerking stuttering happens and the bike moves forward slowly with the clutch in. So I readjust the lever to setting 1 and it does not do it...it still went hard into 1st but did not do the violent shake. So...is it a adjustment thing or is my clutch crap? What do I need to buy to replace my clutch?

Does it still have the original rubber clutch line?? It could be getting weak and swelling slightly upon clutch application, sending less fluid into the slave cyl. which will give you less piston travel, therefore not disingaging the clutch discs all the way.
A new SS braided line and a good flush is way cheaper than a new clutch pack....

Make sure the cover is on tight, the push rod may not be fully releasing the clutch.

ok...today my clutch almost left me stranded! I left for school and the bike shifted great all of a sudden, then like 3 blocks from the college, my bike would not want to shift gears, felt like I had no pressure in the clutch, so went to class, then on the way home, i could not get out of second....with the clutch in, the bike would move forward slowly, it died out on me and I could manage to get it in neutral and go to first then the friction point was like .5" from the handle bar. What could it be?

ok...found the problem. my clutch slave cylinder(clutch release cylinder in manual) is leaking. I pulled in the clutch with the support off and when the piston moved a little fluid leaked out...what do I have to replace to fix the issue?

Thanks
Ram

Back