1st argument over gear

theskaz

I am all that is BACON!
Donating Member
Registered
So i was at the tattoo shop the other night looking at some more ink, and there was an older gentleman there on his "chopper". He looks at me new shiny Shoei RF-1000 and tells me that its "not a good idea to wear a full face helmet". well that struck me as odd. so i ask why not. "because if you fall face first you will hit the ground and be paralized from the neck down" was his response. i take a look at his helmet and see that he has one of those plastic novelty helmets. i said "well if i had that thing on and i go down, my face would probably be stretched for 30 yards" I assume that he has been riding longer than I and is at least 2x my age. but it struck me off guard that someone would think no helmet was safer than a full face. i seriously pondered about that for the next 2 days. he was actually the 2nd one to tell me that that day but the first to give a reason.

...i dont know what to think....

I'll tell you what to think...think he's an idiot! I got to see the effect of one of those "brain scoop" helmets a few months ago in person and it wasnt pretty. Only thing that happened to the guy was his face got seriously f-ed up! And I couldnt help but think that if he had a real helmet on, he wouldve been standing there *****ing about his bike being screwed up instead of in the ditch with blood all over his face and possibly the loss of one eye! Those old guys that make those comments are just idiots or *******s...pure and simple. And trying to explain logic to them is like talking to a wall...... just dont even bother. One day they'll all learn thier lesson. ;)

i would take my chance with the helment on. this guy does he wear chaps and say they are for pertection also???

i was kinda funny because my wife was looking at him like he's retarded. but i cant comprehend how someone can actually honestly believe that.

That argument is standard ABATE fodder against helmet laws. Complete BS. Take a look at how many motorcycle racers have broken their necks vs. the amount of crashes... I will wear the real helmet.

that is what all those types want to spout, should have told him $50 helmet for a $50 head.:laugh:

So i was at the tattoo shop the other night looking at some more ink, and there was an older gentleman there on his "chopper". He looks at me new shiny Shoei RF-1000 and tells me that its "not a good idea to wear a full face helmet". well that struck me as odd. so i ask why not. "because if you fall face first you will hit the ground and be paralized from the neck down" was his response. i take a look at his helmet and see that he has one of those plastic novelty helmets. i said "well if i had that thing on and i go down, my face would probably be stretched for 30 yards" I assume that he has been riding longer than I and is at least 2x my age. but it struck me off guard that someone would think no helmet was safer than a full face. i seriously pondered about that for the next 2 days. he was actually the 2nd one to tell me that that day but the first to give a reason.

...i dont know what to think....

My helmet is within an inch of my chin, so there's not a lot of difference except; if I land face down with anything but a fullface helmet I'm probably dead. Something to truly ponder my friend.

dude this isn't even a topic for debate. i would have ended that conversation immediatly and never given it another thought. people kill me. i would rather land face first with no helmet than continue to talk to that guy

When arguing on motorcycle safety issues, I often use data and conclussions from an european motorcycle accident study, rather well put up, called MAIDS (Motorcycle Accidents In Depth Study). The quite long report can be downloaded here after free registration. My favourite quotes from that report when answering to the "it will break your neck" BS:

"The data indicates that in 68.7% of all cases, the helmet was capable of preventing or reducing the head injury sustained by the rider."

"Overall, helmets were found to be an effective protective device to reduce the severity of head injuries."

Hmmm, ask Manny what he thinks.:whistle:

bikepix 328.jpg

I wonder if this is some sort of old school motorcycle thinking from back in the day of when people put engines on bicycles. Any of the older riders want to comment? :laugh:

Back