An Idiot Reminds Us Why We Wear Gear

busawife

Registered
I work for a bank where we have a merchant that has multiple stores that deposit with us. We couldn't figure out why they hadn't shown up in the morning as usual. That afternoon the managers of the stores started to come in with deposits and the story as to why they were late. It turns out that one of the managers of the store was riding on the back of a friend's bike. (not sure what kind of bike) What was the guy wearing??? Khakis, t-shirt and full face helmet. (score one for the helmet) He and his buddy (who isn't licensed OR insured) decided it would be a good idea to go 110+ and show off for their girlfriends. The guy on back fell off the bike when the person in front leaned down to get more speed. He is now in the hospital with burns on 30% of his body from the road rash. Of course, everyone first jumped on how bikes are bad. Guess they forgot that my hubby rides one (as does my customer service manager and her hubby...can anyone say banking biker gang?) and I reminded them that they make leathers for a reason. He will be in the hospital for at least a week and off work for a month. I told them he was lucky...he could have been dead.

Mind you...Jeff and I have been known to go take the Busa out and see what it is made of. However, Jeff has been riding for some time. He has his endorsement. He has insurance. We both have full face helmets, jackets and gloves. He has pants. I am working on getting Kevlar pants and a set of leathers. We NEVER go out with less that that on. EVER.

So, take it from this knucklehead...wear your gear. :rulez:

And now...I am off my soap box and back to taking a nap. This being sick thing SUKS! :sleeping:

Stupid hurts...sorry, but that's one too many strikes against someone and they shouldn't have even been on a motorcycle, ruining it for the rest of us...

Nice, and your right they are always apt to blame the big bad motorcycles for getting there loved ones hurt and never blame there loved ones for not acting responsibly and not wearing the protection they are suppose to.

Stupid hurts...sorry, but that's one too many strikes against someone and they shouldn't have even been on a motorcycle, ruining it for the rest of us...

That is what us in the branch who ride motorcycles decided. I am planning on smacking the guy upside the head once he gets back to work. Or, taking one of our extra helmets (I swear, they are like rabbits, we keep finding more) and shoving it up his backside so he remembers to wear his gear. That is, if he tries to get on the bike.

Frankly, he struck me as a complete moron every time I have worked with him. One of those thugs who really grew up rich sort of thing. Drive me nuts...

He and his buddy (who isn't licensed OR insured) decided it would be a good idea to go 110+ and show off for their girlfriends. The guy on back fell off the bike

okay.. I had to re-read this to make sure I saw this right.... 4 balls - 2 wheels? THAT IS THEIR PROBLEM!! Too much testosterone for one bike!

And in my best Ren and Stimpy voice... What an EEEEEDDIOT!!!

okay.. I had to re-read this to make sure I saw this right.... 4 balls - 2 wheels? THAT IS THEIR PROBLEM!! Too much testosterone for one bike!

:lol: Well said Jules..."YOU EEEEEEEEDIOT!"

:rofl:

That is what I was thinking. They broke the Two Willie rule. Like I tell my coworkers only one willie per bike (immediate family excepted) and more than that is asking for trouble, and gay.

it seems to me that there were more problems here than just a guy not wearing all his gear...there is a whole list of no-no's going on :beerchug:

hum a guy giving another guy a ride...he probably wasnt hanging onto the dude in front of him but rather the bike itself...not a good idea...those arent grab handles for ridding....
i bet that hurt
hope he heals quickly

:rofl:

If only I had posted earlier. That's where I was going Jules.

Thou shalt not have more than two balls per two wheels. :whistle:

I'll be perfectly honest on the subject of wearing gear. Let me preface this first by saying that I DO wear my gear (ballastic jacket, pants, gloves and helmet). I'm too pretty to scrape up. :rofl:

The vast majority of motorcycle accidents I've worked that involve death and/or serious bodily injury, are not from sliding along the highway getting road rash. It's from the things they hit along the way. Sometimes it simply doesn't matter how much gear you have on, if your body is going to slide into a telephone pole at 50mph, there just isn't much that can help you. While gear will help prevent burns in most relatively minor/moderate accidents, it's not gonna do much for you when you come to that abrupt stop.

I'll be perfectly honest on the subject of wearing gear. Let me preface this first by saying that I DO wear my gear (ballastic jacket, pants, gloves and helmet). I'm too pretty to scrape up. :rofl:

The vast majority of motorcycle accidents I've worked that involve death and/or serious bodily injury, are not from sliding along the highway getting road rash. It's from the things they hit along the way. Sometimes it simply doesn't matter how much gear you have on, if your body is going to slide into a telephone pole at 50mph, there just isn't much that can help you. While gear will help prevent burns in most relatively minor/moderate accidents, it's not gonna do much for you when you come to that abrupt stop.

I agree with the utility pole, mailbox, sign post, etc. but the gear most wear has built in pads that protect joints and other bones from breaking as well. They do more than protect from the dreaded rash.

I feel for this young man and hope he has a complete recovery. I've never had road rash, but strawberries in ball from sliding was bad enough. I can't imagine something worse over a much larger area of my body.

Back