Thoughts on gear

Those who ride with me know I wear all the gear all the time. Full leather armored jacket and pants, leather gloves, track boots, SNELL approved helmet. Doesn't matter if its above or below 100 degrees.

In my many years of riding, this is the first year I have a full set of leathers. I have always worn a jacket, helmet and gloves. But now I have armored leather pants and a boots. I will always wear them, and if it is too hot to ride, we can take the truck. My wife has her first bike, she also has a full set of leathers and boots. We will have to expirement on how much heat we can ride in, but its full gear from now on. I have heard that under armor works well on hot days under the leathers, so we will see. Dress like you plan to crash. Be safe!

You will never find me riding without my gear.

I even wear it to go to the gym only 4 miles down the road. They call me Madmax at the gym and I frequently get long stares from newbs at the gym, but everyone that knows me just expects and accepts that I am gonna be dressed like I am headed to a MotoGP race!

I do not have a spine protector or chest protector, guess I need to look into that.

Thanks for your post! Peace.

I always look for SNELL approval on my helmets also.  I understand they do a little more rigorous testing than DOT.
Snell has some problems with their rating. Even the HURT Foundation says they are out of date and dangerous with the route they are taking their ratings.

Main problem I find with Snell rating system, they base all of their tests and impact ratings off a large adult head. This is great if you have a large head like me. But if you are a smaller person, or worse yet a child, it effectively makes a Snell helmet have the absorbing power of granit. DOT on the other hand requires the helmet to absorb impacts based on the size of the head that will be in the helmet. Same standard that Europe uses and the military. Snell on the other hand refuses to acknowledge their mistake. Red Flag for bad management in my mind.

Gear, Gear, and more gear! All the time. Every time! Lamb has not crashed, insert sound of him knocking on wood (his head) here. The truly wise man takes others mistakes as his own...............................grasshopper.

Back