Food for thought on wearing gear

Lurch

The milkman cometh!!!
Donating Member
Registered
I was doing some research on recent accidents in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area and came across this information from the Wisconsin DOT. Now I know as well as the next person that you can spin numbers and facts a number of ways to suit your position and agenda. I will not spin this at all. You can look at the data and decide for yourself if you think wearing your helmet and gear improves your survival rates or not. I think they do, but read the facts add the numbers and decide for yourself.
Wisconsin does NOT require a helmet for riders over 18 with a full motorcycle endorsement.

These numbers are a few years old, but if you look through the site there are some other pages that have very interesting facts also.

http://www.dot.state.wi.us/safety/motorist/crashfacts/docs/archive/motorcyclefacts2003.pdf

Lots of interesting data! Thanks for posting! It's a little disappointing to see the amount of invalid endorsements cited....but not surprising.

Learned my lesson 20yrs ago, surfed in a Vincent at 80mph wearing jeans, cotton short sleeve, had to ride home half nekked, covered in blood. what a mess. Didn't break any bones, full face helmet saved my chin, otherwise would have an implant. still got scars. Now I always gearup.

Back