17 years riding first accident

Well his insurance company,Progressive has already stated they will have nothing to do with my bike . Basically my insurance company has to take care of fixing/totalling the bike and getting me a replacement . Then they have to sue Progressive . That's just the bike,we're not even at the whole pain,suffering,gear replacement and work loss . Not looking forward to this . Thankfully I have excellent insurance .
Glad to hear you survived it intact. Sounds like you could have had a bad crushing injury had you not jumped.

Don't know how the laws are worded for the at fault motorist where you live. Seems to me if he was cited for failure to make a legal turn, or not yielding the lane space to the driver already in it, like a failure to yield right of way, or something similar, then his insurance should be providing you with transportation ( rental car ) and medical cost as well as other cost associated with the at fault driver.

One thing I do know is Progressive Ins is one of the worst insurance companies out there when it comes to covering claims. They might have good rates but will fight everything on a claim... its the wear them down, drag it out and settle strategies they employ every time.

+ 1 on the gear , mine saved my life also. The way people drive any more is the reason my wife wants me off bikes for good.
I agree about drivers not being as competent at focusing as they once were. Even over the road truckers have been hitting new lows ( accident rates ) as the trucking industry struggles to keep drivers accident free and keeping up with demand.

My first rule is simple when riding my motorcycle... don't give them a chance to get you. Space is your friend! What does that look like in difficult times and people are turning left? It means anytime I am not sure somebody sees me and will yield to my right of way I slow down and prepare to avoid trouble. That also means left hand turning vehicles could create a double threat. If somebody is tailgating me then I have to maneuver myself as best I can to avoid the car turning left in from to me... and... that happens by slowing down... If I have a tailgater that means I have to stay clear of the tailgater behind me which is about impossible when only one lane in each direction exist. So... there are going to be times when you are vulnerable and not much can be done to avoid a potential collision. The good news is the tailgater is very likely to be seen by the person turning left even though they might not have seen you on a motorcycle coming to begin with.

This brings me to the visibility factor... having a couple of small running lights on the front of your motorcycle makes you stand out a bit in my opinion... and gives you a better chance to be seen by oncoming and left turning traffic.

In 1995 when I proposed to my wife I said...

I will always own a Corvette and a motorcycle... do you want to marry me?

It's just awful to see your pride and joy beaten up like that because of some idiot who knows nothing about driving. The important thing is that you had no major injuries. Get well soon!

I agree about drivers not being as competent at focusing as they once were. Even over the road truckers have been hitting new lows ( accident rates ) as the trucking industry struggles to keep drivers accident free and keeping up with demand.

My first rule is simple when riding my motorcycle... don't give them a chance to get you. Space is your friend! What does that look like in difficult times and people are turning left? It means anytime I am not sure somebody sees me and will yield to my right of way I slow down and prepare to avoid trouble. That also means left hand turning vehicles could create a double threat. If somebody is tailgating me then I have to maneuver myself as best I can to avoid the car turning left in from to me... and... that happens by slowing down... If I have a tailgater that means I have to stay clear of the tailgater behind me which is about impossible when only one lane in each direction exist. So... there are going to be times when you are vulnerable and not much can be done to avoid a potential collision. The good news is the tailgater is very likely to be seen by the person turning left even though they might not have seen you on a motorcycle coming to begin with.

This brings me to the visibility factor... having a couple of small running lights on the front of your motorcycle makes you stand out a bit in my opinion... and gives you a better chance to be seen by oncoming and left turning traffic.

In 1995 when I proposed to my wife I said...

I will always own a Corvette and a motorcycle... do you want to marry me?
You just described my wreck.

Very happy you are ok. Wearing all the gear all the time is what should be made law everywhere. I hate it when i see kids in summer cloths riding.

It was having all the right gear on that saved my wife when she had her crash.
20210317_125217.jpg

I'm glad you were not hurt any worse then you were.

YOU failed to tell us what State this happened in and about how old the driver
was that caused the accident.
From what I have heard (via misc. people talking) is FL has very bad senior drivers and
the path that driver took sounds like a senior from FL - but that is only a guess on my part
as I'm sure bad drivers exist everywhere.

I see ads on TV all the time for Lawyers and vehicle accidents - maybe something to look into???

Coming home from work,sitting at a red light in the left lane second vehicle from the light .Light turns,car in front of me makes a left,I proceed through intersection and the 2020 Suburban next to me decides he's going to gun it and make a left turn from the right lane as we're both halfway through the intersection . I collide with his driver's side door,he continues to turn and I try to steer away . I realize this could end badly and I don't know how I did it but I threw myself off and rolled . All I really remember is hearing the loudest sound I ever heard and thinking "that's my head cracking open" .
As I laid there I realized that wasn't my head split open,but the sound of my helmet hitting the ground . Then the anger came on . As I stood up my left side was screaming and my lower left shin was letting me know that it hurts too . Thankfully the driver pulled over and got out of his vehicle . As he walked over I started to take off my gear to make sure I didn't have any bones sticking out . As I'm doing this I start calling him everything but a child of God asking him what the he'll he was thinking . Witnesses on the corner started to tell me to calm th f down and move my bike . Then the last part of my gear,my jacket came off and the driver and everyone else realized not only did he hit a motorcyclist but a motorcyclist wearing his Deputy Sheriff uniform . Dead silence . I called 911, PD,Sheriff,Fire,EMS show up .I was cleared by EMS and had my Hayabusa towed to my house . Driver was cited of course . He did seem somewhat confused about why he's not allowed to make a left turn from the right lane .
After I got home I did decide to go to the ER to make sure I had no internal injuries . After a CT scan it was confirmed nothing broken,no internal injuries . Thankfully all I have is a slightly stiff neck,a tiny bit of road rash and badly bruised left sternum . My insurance company has told my wife that without even seeing my bike to be prepared for it to be totalled . The driver of the Suburban has yet to inform his insurance company . They found out when my insurance company called them .
Please everyone wear your gear ANYTIME YOU RIDE!!!! The ER doctor was shocked that I had no major injuries and attributes it to my gear . He told me and my wife I was the 3rd motorcycle rider accident he dealt with this week . The other 2 were in their 20's no helmets and low speed collisions . One died and the second "will never have a normal life " doctors exact words .
Yes,I will be getting another Hayabusa . I just have wait a bit .
Glad to see you made it out ok and that you plan on replacing your bike with another busa. It's getting so bad around me with negligent drivers that a few riders have had no choice but to leave the drivers with a reminder of their own stupidity by taking a mirror of the car. I try to be the voice of reason and the "dad" to a lot of them and tell them to let stuff go but when I almost get hit by someone looking at their snapchat or other social media instead of the road it's hard to hold my own temper in.

Glad to see you made it out ok and that you plan on replacing your bike with another busa. It's getting so bad around me with negligent drivers that a few riders have had no choice but to leave the drivers with a reminder of their own stupidity by taking a mirror of the car. I try to be the voice of reason and the "dad" to a lot of them and tell them to let stuff go but when I almost get hit by someone looking at their snapchat or other social media instead of the road it's hard to hold my own temper in.
You don't even have to be riding, while out walking this morning I almost got run over by some "jack-tard" on her phone...she swerved over into the gravel I was walking on, then panicked and over-corrected into the on-coming lane.....good thing she was the only vehicle on the road or I would have had a front row seat to a real dandy of an accident....

Obviously the Suburban driver had no clue you were right alongside when he madew his impulsive move to swing left . . idiot.
So many car drivers are off in their own little world all safe and secure in their tin can, not checking for situational awareness.
This is why crashes happen.

Last edited:
Bwahahahahahaha!

Obviously the Suburban driver had no clue you were right alongside when he madew his impulsive move to swing left . . idiot.
So many car drivers are off in their own little world all safe and secure in their tin can, not checking for situational awareness.
This is why crashes happen.
Vehicles today have so many distractions with the center touch screen that runs everything to very large A,B, C and in some vehicles D pillars.

The C pillars of my Ram truck can hide a mini van...I find I have to have my head on a swivel all the time when driving.

Drivers are on their phone, fiddling with the climate control, navigation or music...add to this the size and height of some of these vehicles and a motorcycle pretty much disappears...especially if he driver is a "dumb-tard" such as in this case...

Wow, what an ignorant set of circumstances for the driver. How they try to over accelerate and then make an illegal left-hand turn from an outside lane. Any responsible individual would then ask themselves why did I try to make that turn from that position?. Especially when they endanger the life of a motorcycle rider. Almost a disparity-of-force set of circumstances.

i'm very glad your anger did not set you up for a civil suit. Keep stretching, ice what you need to ice. Let your insurance company do the work, I'm very glad you're here to tell the story. I've been run over a few times, and I'm still here to tell the story.

Wow, what an ignorant set of circumstances for the driver. How they try to over accelerate and then make an illegal left-hand turn from an outside lane. Any responsible individual would then ask themselves why did I try to make that turn from that position?. Especially when they endanger the life of a motorcycle rider. Almost a disparity-of-force set of circumstances.
It's a case of,"I better turn right now otherwise it's going to cost me 10 minutes to go around the block to get back to that road I need to be on".
I've done it myself. It's foolish even when you know for sure you ain't gonna hit any vehicle by performing that impulsive manoevre, let alone doing it when you aren't sure there's no vehicles alongside you.
Everytime I've done, I was 100pc sure it was safe...ish.

I'm glad you were not hurt any worse then you were.

YOU failed to tell us what State this happened in and about how old the driver
was that caused the accident.
From what I have heard (via misc. people talking) is FL has very bad senior drivers and
the path that driver took sounds like a senior from FL - but that is only a guess on my part
as I'm sure bad drivers exist everywhere.

I see ads on TV all the time for Lawyers and vehicle accidents - maybe something to look into???
Happened in Denver Colorado . Driver was a 31yr wm . Vehicle was not registered to him . Given his age and the address of the owner and name,I am assuming it was his father's SUV . As for lawyers,my daughters fiancee was in a bad wreck a year ago and the lawyers got paid and he barely got his medical bills paid off and still doesn't have a replacement car . I'm going to let our insurance agent,that we've had for over 25 years,handle it for now .

Back