Had a stroke while riding my motorcycle.

Good to hear you’re OK. I was very interested in reading your story. My grandfather passed from a stroke at 72. My father passed from a stroke at 54. Wasn’t too surprising since they were both smokers and heavy drinkers. Neither would go to a doctor since his advice always included “quit smoking and drinking”. As a result, I don’t smoke and only drink a little. Went to doctor about 10 years ago and my cholesterol had doubled. Started taking meds and it dropped right down. I thought I had beat the family curse, in good shape, don’t smoke, drink, or have high cholesterol. Then a couple years ago my daughter had some kind of “seizure like symptoms”. Hospital discovered an aneurysm. It hadn’t ruptured but was causing pressure that caused the symptoms. They were able to clip it. The doctor told her to talk to the family because it could be hereditary.
So at 52 I could be typing this with a ticking time bomb in my head. I always wonder if one of my frequent headaches is gonna be the one that turns out the lights.
All you can do is enjoy your life and the people around you.

So at 52 I could be typing this with a ticking time bomb in my head. I always wonder if one of my frequent headaches is gonna be the one that turns out the lights.

Blue, I don't think I can answer that, your blood pressure is low? The headaches I had were a big part to the prologue of this story. They were progressive over years and had become so common, I never went anywhere without Tylenol on me. I kept some in both cars, on the bike, in my tankbag, backpack for work. In the front pocket of my leathers.

About a year or two leading up to this event, riding started giving me headaches, but only the first day of the tour. For all the miles I've done over the last 20 years, that never used to happen. It became clockwork, the first day of every tour I was leading, I'd get a decent headache. Not debilitating, not a migraine, just a consistent easily-manageable headache, I just thought it was the vibration, the wind noise, the rough roads, potholes, just normal. I planned for it. It was part of my day.
I'd take a Tylenol 1-2 hours before we got to our hotel so it'd kick in by the time we arrived.

It sounds incredibly stupid in hindsight when I say it out loud, but I never thought twice about it. Like, why didn't you get that checked out? I just didn't. Why would you, it's just a headache. Growing up on a working farm, the rule was as a kid, if it's not broken or bleeding profusely, get back to work. And if it is bleeding profusely, Paper towels and electricians tape. And then get back to work.
I took that into adulthood and likely coupled with my Marine Corps indoctrination, Suck it up Buttercup.

An interesting sidebar to this story not in the story, is after the severe headache I had the day of the stroke- while riding mind you - is I haven't had a headache since. None. Zero. Nada. Cured me. Hell of a way to get cured of frequent headaches. I'm no doctor but ya don't need to be a rocket scientist to think it's not all related.

50 percent of people that suffer a hemorrhagic stroke die in a matter of days. Chew on that.

I lived. But only because my motorcycle buddies figured it out during the ride. If they had not figured it out, I would have died that next day. Imagine the responsibility. And that's why it's worth talking about & sharing this story. Even the part about the 8mm wrenches.

Get it checked out friend. This is by far the scariest picture I've ever seen.

32197723178_f568f09bb5_o.jpg

Last edited:
Blue, I don't think I can answer that, your blood pressure is low? The headaches I had were a big part to the prologue of this story. They were progressive over years and had become so common, I never went anywhere without Tylenol on me. I kept some in both cars, on the bike, in my tankbag, backpack for work. In the front pocket of my leathers.

About a year or two leading up to this event, riding started giving me headaches, but only the first day of the tour. For all the miles I've done over the last 20 years, that never used to happen. It became clockwork, the first day of every tour I was leading, I'd get a decent headache. Not debilitating, not a migraine, just a consistent easily-manageable headache, I just thought it was the vibration, the wind noise, the rough roads, potholes, just normal. I planned for it. It was part of my day.
I'd take a Tylenol 1-2 hours before we got to our hotel so it'd kick in by the time we arrived.

It sounds incredibly stupid in hindsight when I say it out loud, but I never thought twice about it. Like, why didn't you get that checked out? I just didn't. Why would you, it's just a headache. Growing up on a working farm, the rule was as a kid, if it's not broken or bleeding profusely, get back to work. And if it is bleeding profusely, Paper towels and electricians tape. And then get back to work.
I took that into adulthood and likely coupled with my Marine Corps indoctrination, Suck it up Buttercup.

An interesting sidebar to this story not in the story, is after the severe headache I had the day of the stroke- while riding mind you - is I haven't had a headache since. None. Zero. Nada. Cured me. Hell of a way to get cured of frequent headaches. I'm no doctor but ya don't need to be a rocket scientist to think it's not all related.

50 percent of people that suffer a hemorrhagic stroke die in a matter of days. Chew on that.

I lived. But only because my motorcycle buddies figured it out during the ride. If they had not figured it out, I would have died that next day. Imagine the responsibility. And that's why it's worth talking about & sharing this story. Even the part about the 8mm wrenches.

View attachment 1589427

Your history of headaches is the part of the story that rings too close to home for me. I too take OTC meds DAILY, like taking a shower or getting dressed, it's just part of my life and has been for decades. I have a neurologist to help manage migraines, so I'm also on a laundry list of prescribed meds (the latest is a monthly shot that I give myself), many of which also create exactly the "foggy-minded" forgetfulness you described so well. I wish I had a $1 for every time I write something, doesn't look right, can't figure it out, or a code to a door I've known for 10 years suddenly escapes me and I can't figure it out to save my life. That feeling of walking from one room to another to get something, then you forgot why you're there - that's my normal anymore.

It scares me to read some of this, like reading symptoms on WedMD, and I know nothing I'm taking or doing can be great for me in the long run. It's how I manage daily life though. If I don't take these things, I miss out on everything I love. I wouldn't be out riding, going to concerts, enjoying time with family and friends, and there are so many of those moments I suffer through with excruciating headaches/migraines. It's just stuff I live with now, but you've got me wondering if there are predisposed conditions to watch that eventually lead to just what you've experienced.

Some things in life just happen I guess; that's the hard part of all of this - human nature is to question the why and learn from it, avoid the bad if you can.

I don't know how anyone avoids what happened to you, and that's so scary.

Your history of headaches is the part of the story that rings too close to home for me. I too take OTC meds DAILY, like taking a shower or getting dressed, it's just part of my life and has been for decades. I have a neurologist to help manage migraines, so I'm also on a laundry list of prescribed meds (the latest is a monthly shot that I give myself), many of which also create exactly the "foggy-minded" forgetfulness you described so well. I wish I had a $1 for every time I write something, doesn't look right, can't figure it out, or a code to a door I've known for 10 years suddenly escapes me and I can't figure it out to save my life. That feeling of walking from one room to another to get something, then you forgot why you're there - that's my normal anymore.

It scares me to read some of this, like reading symptoms on WedMD, and I know nothing I'm taking or doing can be great for me in the long run. It's how I manage daily life though. If I don't take these things, I miss out on everything I love. I wouldn't be out riding, going to concerts, enjoying time with family and friends, and there are so many of those moments I suffer through with excruciating headaches/migraines. It's just stuff I live with now, but you've got me wondering if there are predisposed conditions to watch that eventually lead to just what you've experienced.

Some things in life just happen I guess; that's the hard part of all of this - human nature is to question the why and learn from it, avoid the bad if you can.

I would consider reading about a ketosis diet.
Not for weight loss, which was never it's original intention. It switches your body from running on sugar, to fat/ketones.
I won't bore you all with my health issues, but lets just say I can relate to all this very well.
I'm 41, workout, and have always been in decent shape. I eat pretty "healthy" as well, at least according to what would be considered normal. I'm also hypoglycemic. Have had 2 known concussions, and 2 more I assume(didn't go to Dr. because I was tough/aka stupid), and have been knocked out several times for a couple minutes in dirtbike crashes...so I'm told.
And I don't need a "diet".
However, 4 weeks ago tomorrow I switched to a ketogenic diet. Aside from becoming more ripped than I've been in years, and in a staggeringly short amount of time(which is a nice side effect), I feel better than I ever have. It has dramatically changed how I feel physically, my mental focus, attitude, energy, and I've taken 3 BC Powders in the last month. Down from my 1-2 daily prior.
My headaches, migranes(fog, flashing lights, ear ringing, dizzieness, fading in an out, dizzieness on standing quickly), as well as joint pain have almost completely gone.
I'm not saying this is right for you or anyone else either, but I have watched 5 people switch to keto in the last year, with amazing results.
I tried it to see if it would help me any, wow is all I can say.
Anyone interested can start by watching Dr.Berg, or Thomas Delauer on Youtube, and make your own decision.
I wish everyone the best of health, and thank God for mine and it's improvement.

I used to get unreal migraines.... regularly.... had to take special meds for it....it got sooo bad that I just ended up stretching the truth about "lower back pain"... and got the opoids…. THOSE worked... problem is they are very addictive... VERY.... so I stopped... anyhow... now I drink at least 2 red bulls a day... BIG ONES... haven't had a headache in a year, sounds crazy right? I think everybody's body chemistry is different..... but caffeine and B12 or niacin works for me..... beats hydrocodone... and also.... they LOVE to pump Imitrex for migraines... but unless u take it RIGHT when u feel the headache coming.... doesn't work... its a myth.. none of the migraine meds worked for me....

Last edited:
I would consider reading about a ketosis diet.
Not for weight loss, which was never it's original intention. It switches your body from running on sugar, to fat/ketones.
I won't bore you all with my health issues, but lets just say I can relate to all this very well.
I'm 41, workout, and have always been in decent shape. I eat pretty "healthy" as well, at least according to what would be considered normal. I'm also hypoglycemic. Have had 2 known concussions, and 2 more I assume(didn't go to Dr. because I was tough/aka stupid), and have been knocked out several times for a couple minutes in dirtbike crashes...so I'm told.
And I don't need a "diet".
However, 4 weeks ago tomorrow I switched to a ketogenic diet. Aside from becoming more ripped than I've been in years, and in a staggeringly short amount of time(which is a nice side effect), I feel better than I ever have. It has dramatically changed how I feel physically, my mental focus, attitude, energy, and I've taken 3 BC Powders in the last month. Down from my 1-2 daily prior.
My headaches, migranes(fog, flashing lights, ear ringing, dizzieness, fading in an out, dizzieness on standing quickly), as well as joint pain have almost completely gone.
I'm not saying this is right for you or anyone else either, but I have watched 5 people switch to keto in the last year, with amazing results.
I tried it to see if it would help me any, wow is all I can say.
Anyone interested can start by watching Dr.Berg, or Thomas Delauer on Youtube, and make your own decision.
I wish everyone the best of health, and thank God for mine and it's improvement.

I've actually researched this recently. About 2 years ago I drastically changed my diet, dropped quite a bit of weight, cut out carbs for the most part and noticed after about 5 weeks my headaches were getting easier to deal with. It feels like I've leveled back out, but I definitely notice changes in the headaches/migraines tied to diet, which is why I'm constantly researching options. I have been tested for celiac disease, came back negative, but I have an endocrinologist that says there are still sensitivities to gluten that might be causing me issues.

I only drink water, 24/7, tons of it. And yeah, Goody's powder is my go-to which is not good.

I'll dig in more - what you've described is where I want to be. Thanks for the info!

I used to get unreal migraines.... regularly.... had to take special meds for it....it got sooo bad that I just ended up stretching the truth about "lower back pain"... and got the opoids…. THOSE worked... problem is they are very addictive... VERY.... so I stopped... anyhow... now I drink at least 2 red bulls a day... BIG ONES... haven't had a headache in a year, sounds crazy right? I think everybody's body chemistry is different..... but caffeine and B12 or niacin works for me..... beats hydrocodone... and also.... they LOVE to pump Imitrex for migraines... but unless u take it RIGHT when u feel the headache coming.... doesn't work... its a myth.. none of the migraine meds worked for me....

I dealt with a ruptured disc for 3 years, un-diagnosed, and a myriad of docs that were more than willing to dole out hydrocodone like candy to me for those 3 years. It took a nurse to finally force an MRI which led to back surgery and me getting off of that crap. Now, if I have severe pain and take it, it does nothing - neither does morphine. It'll take horse tranquilizers to touch pain after years of being on it :crazy:

I take B12 every day, and the migraine meds I am on now - Aimovig (new injection med), Amerge or Maxalt for breakthrough migraines...also on an anti-seizure med each night for them. I'm convinced that med is the one that's messing with my memory.

I dealt with a ruptured disc for 3 years, un-diagnosed, and a myriad of docs that were more than willing to dole out hydrocodone like candy to me for those 3 years. It took a nurse to finally force an MRI which led to back surgery and me getting off of that crap. Now, if I have severe pain and take it, it does nothing - neither does morphine. It'll take horse tranquilizers to touch pain after years of being on it :crazy:
well.. there is only so much Im willing to admit to... but yes.... that's why I said opoids… I get it..... further up the food chain of op's...… but really though.... u should really consider a massive dose of b12/niacin next migraine u get.... IT HAS to be massive though.

well.. there is only so much Im willing to admit to... but yes.... that's why I said opoids… I get it..... further up the food chain of op's...… but really though.... u should really consider a massive dose of b12/niacin next migraine u get.... IT HAS to be massive though.

I'll down the bottle :p

I've actually researched this recently. About 2 years ago I drastically changed my diet, dropped quite a bit of weight, cut out carbs for the most part and noticed after about 5 weeks my headaches were getting easier to deal with. It feels like I've leveled back out, but I definitely notice changes in the headaches/migraines tied to diet, which is why I'm constantly researching options. I have been tested for celiac disease, came back negative, but I have an endocrinologist that says there are still sensitivities to gluten that might be causing me issues.

I only drink water, 24/7, tons of it. And yeah, Goody's powder is my go-to which is not good.

I'll dig in more - what you've described is where I want to be. Thanks for the info!

The low carb diets are good for fat loss, and have some health benefits. And the Keto is similiar, only it's no sugar(aside from a few grams naturally occuring in food/vegetables).
Sounds hard to give up sugar, and it is, but as most Keto diets say, it gets easier, and after a couple weeks, the cravings go away, really.
There's also peace of mind that it's not a life sentence. After your body gets into ketosis(3 days, 2 wks, whatever, depends on the individual), you can have a cheat day and eat what you want. After, and as soon as you go back to the keto diet, your body will quickly readapt to it.
Short answer on your body's transition from a suger burner to a fat burner is; we are biological machines, and our cells are tiny machines. Those machines are built to burn suger for fuel. They cannot burn fat for fuel the same way(why so many struggle with fat loss), so when you put your body into a ketosis state, your body begins destroying your sugar burning machines at a celluar level, and builds fat burning machines in it's place, ketone producing machines.
This is why there can be temporary transitional side effects for some people.
So once your body is running on ketones instead of sugar, and you have a cheat day, it's easier to bounce back into ketosis, as your body hasn't had time to restructure itself back to a full time sugar burner.
The body stores glycogen from carbs in our muscles too, so, depending on the person, every 3-6 weeks roughly, we need a clean carb loading day to replenish that, so 2-3 times the 50 grams of carb daily limit. Good carbs, like a sweet potato.
Keto diet is 2-3 meals per day, same amount of food as well, just pushing breakfast meal into lunch meal gradually.
I also do the 18-23 hour fasting between meals 3-4 days a week. Between dinner and the next days first meal.
The idea behind that is supposedly before the 18 hr fast time, your white blood cells start to rapidly die...causing new ones to be generated. This is said to help destroy cancerous cells and other diseases.
As someone who has been hypoglycemic for many years, eating sugar to maintain blood sugar levels, having peaks and lows and lots of issues, no sugar sounds counterintuative.
I then read that ketosis is cure for hypoglycemia. Ok, we'll see. Amazingly, all of those symtoms and issues that have plauged me most of my life, vanished in a couple of days, and as I've said, I can't belive how good I feel.
Also as a man that works out, most of us agree that we should consume 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per lb of body weight.
Keto says 80-100 is all that is needed.
I was 173, and have cut to 164(mostly water weight and viceral fat, the fat under our muscles).
I am noticeably much stronger already, and too much protein on ketosis and your body will turn the excess into sugar.
Sorry for the ramblings, as I had a couple questions on this already, so as I typed I thought I'de throw some basic info out here and my experience so far.
I'm also no authority on the subject, still learning, but thrilled with how I feel!
I hope it can help someone else.
Sugar tastes great, but anything other than small amounts has the potential to wreak havoc on our body's.
If I drop dead from all of this tomorrow...my apollogies, lol

I also didn't mean to threadjack Pashnit's thread.
If it were a regular bike bs thread it wouldn't be so bad, but I don't want to take away from his message and intent, so my apollogies.
I'll start a keto thread over the weekend, and any who are interested can contribute and discuss this more.

If I drop dead from all of this tomorrow...my apollogies, lol

I chuckled at this last statement....and don't go doing that please.

Lots of good info. I didn't go low-carb to specifically drop weight, but I did end up losing it anyway. I stick to eating fresh for the most part, no junk food, no candy, snacks, desserts, etc...limited processed foods, and that has made a huge difference in my overall health. Been curious about this though. The human body is amazing if we treat it right. Glad you're feeling so great @sixpack577 :thumbsup:

I also didn't mean to threadjack Pashnit's thread.
If it were a regular bike bs thread it wouldn't be so bad, but I don't want to take away from his message and intent, so my apollogies.
I'll start a keto thread over the weekend, and any who are interested can contribute and discuss this more.

Yeah, I kind of feel the same...sorry @pashnit for the thread-jacking going on. ;)

Same here redbull is my savior. Caffeine is one of the best treatments for pressure headaches.

View attachment 1589427
Wow that is unreal, so you have to assume all the times you experienced those headaches, you were actually exhibiting symptoms of your underlying condition and the other strokes you didn’t even know about. Glad your okay and hear to tell it though. 1 year strong and the next you will be even stronger!!

Back