First Accident / Several Pictures Of Scene & Gear

SIGSAUER

Registered
First accident after having my new to me Busa for only a couple months. I loved this bike too and out of the (4) bikes I have owned. Ninja 250r, 650r, and Yamaha FZ1, this one was without a doubt my favorite. I’m still pretty annoyed by the incident but I feel I learned a lot from it and I walked away from it, so lesson learned and hopefully others will learn from my experience, which is the only reason I am posting this information.

Details of the incident are as follows:

I got off work at 7am after working a 10hr shift and when I was less then a mile from home, I was going through a round about which has a limited view of traffic coming from the right. Normally this road has very limited traffic during this time of day. I’ve also gone through this round about over a thousand times. The speed limit of the road is 35mph with the 15mph suggested for the round about. When I enter the round about I down shift into 2nd gear and I’m usually doing about 20 to 25mph. As I leave the round about my speedo reads 35mph.

On today’s date I was already in the round about and I had a decent lean when I observed a large empty flat bed Ford coming down the hill to enter the round about. The truck had already passed the Yield line and I was sure he was not going to stop. At this point I pulled the front brake as I did not want to go head on in to the cab of the truck. The bike of course straightened out at this point and the truck actually started to come to a stop. I then got on the rear brake. I had just changed to SS lines front and rear that week and I got on the rear brake a bit too heavy and I started to get some major tail shake and then all of a sudden I lost the rear end and the bike went on to it’s left side, sliding straight towards the trucks front end. The truck was able to come to a complete stop at this point with the front bumper going over the round line that circles the round about. I’m not sure how but I was able to keep my hands on the grips while my legs slipped behind me up on to the bikes tail. All I can figure is the sliders on my boot caused enough drag as the bike went down that it caused them to pull to the rear before the bike ended up completely on its side. My bikes front tire then collided with the trucks front left rim and the nose smashed the bumper as it was a fairly low to the ground truck. The impact caused me to slide forward and I think my helmet went between the bumper and the tire which caused me to bounce back on impact. I immediately got up and started to talk to the driver who was fine.

He indicated that he didn’t care about reporting it as it was a work truck with several dents already. My bike being pretty messed up I informed him that I felt better about completing a police report. The guy turned out to be OK but when he asked what happened, I told him I thought there was no way he was stopping. He indicated that he was going too but obviously he failed to stop where he was supposed too and he then went on to say how there are tons of accidents there as the visibility is so poor especially when it comes to seeing a motorcycle.

Although I blame the driver for not yielding properly I think my reaction could have been much better. Not being used to the new brake lines and having been tired and just getting off work I think I could have had a better riding position at the time. I should have been expecting something like this as drivers constantly fail to yield right of way on the two round abouts on my way home. I was just so used to the very little traffic this time of day that I let myself become un-prepared for what could happen. Shame on me!!!

Officers arrived within minutes of my calling and completed a report. I was not cited and I don’t know if the driver was but he didn’t appear happy when he left. I still need to obtain a copy of the report for all the details. Quite honestly I’m old enough and married and I have had very few marks on my records that I don’t care whose insurance takes responsibility, I just want it taken care of as quickly as possible and hopefully working out to my benefit. I had the bike towed to the only Suzuki dealer for an estimate. Of course they won’t even do an estimate for me till next weekend, so I’m stuck waiting for the reslut of the bikes condition. The bike is pretty messed up with the following visible damage:

Both side fairings cracked, front fairing cracked, headlight and right turn signal mounts broken, brake lever broken, fender cracked, both mirrors scratched, left Throttlemeister bar end and clutch lever scratched, left side of M4 exhaust scratched, stator cover scratched through as all oil was lost on scene, left frame slider bent about 2†forward which was odd considering the bike slid forward. At this point I’m not sure if there is any frame or fork damage and I don’t know what anything looks like under the fairings. I also have a tank cover, so I’m not sure if the tank was damaged.

Just from the damage above I don’t want to put the bike on the road and I’d rather the insurance total it. If there is fork or frame damage I’m sure it will be totaled but not sure with just body damage. I’ll just have to wait and see what happens with that. If they end up giving me repair cost I will take the money and make it a track bike only and be without a street bike for awhile. If it gets totaled I’m hoping for KBB and accessories along with gear damage to be included in the payout. If that happens I’ll end up getting a used 08 grey.

I’m including several pictures, so from those who have dealt with the same thing I’d appreciate any opinions on whether or not I could expect them to total it. Basically I’m not confident with a bike sustaining front end damage to be put back on the road. That and if I let the dealer do the work I don’t think I’d get it back till late winter. I’d rather not be without a bike during the best riding time of the year.

As for injuries, my neck has been a little stiff but very minor. Other then that I have a large bruise on my inner upper left thigh. 2†higher and it could have been bad. I also have a small bruise on my right leg above my knee. The neck stiffness was obviously from my helmet bouncing off the vehicle but all I can figure is the bruises were from hitting the tank on impact with the vehicle.

I was wearing full gear which included the following:

Alpinestars leather jacket with upgraded chest and back armor (minor insignificant abrasion to lower chest area)

Shoei X-11 Helmet (Minor specking and scratches on top)

Sidi track boots (Small amount of scuffing on the top right boot with a small amount of scuffing to the sliders on the left boot)

Held Krypton gloves (2†tear along right gauntlet)

Alpinestars mesh over pants (minor abrasions)

I was also wearing Levi’s under the Mesh pants. The pants had a small 1†tear where I sustained a bruise on the left thigh. There was no tear in the mesh pants so I figure the impact must have torn the Levi’s as there is no padding in this area. This is my normal everyday quick run around get up. Normally I wear Alpinestar leather pants in the twisties that have better padding and armor. Considering how well everything held up I think the only thing I will change is that I will use better pants for everyday commuting. All in all the pants held up well with no tears but more padding would have been nice.

I’ve included several pictures starting with the accident scene going on to the bike and gear.

1st Picture would be the Trucks view approaching the round about:
100_0560.jpg

My view approaching the round about:
100_0563.jpg

This pictures shows where about the front of my bike would have been in relation to the front of the vehicle in this picture. The truck that I collided with had already passed the yeild triangle symbols when I started to brake. The oil stain is from my bike and the edge in the round about is where the front of the oil stain is pretty close in relation to where the front of the trucks bumper stopped. His tire which I collided with was just behind the white line:
100_0565.jpg

glad you walked away... judging from the location you came to rest, you are probably lucky not to be cited along with the other driver... (crash is pretty far off what might be considered normal traffic lane)... having all your gear on is admirable! many (myself included) do not always wear pants and boots all the time.. I should rethink that I believe..

Good thing you got the police report too.. (at least your brain is working ok :) ).. the bike damages are going to floor you when you get the estimates.. A lot of bikes are totaled out when that much plastic is destroyed..

Again, glad you posted the word of warning... that moment of inattention can be pretty bad...

Glad to hear u r ok man, we'll aside the minor abrasions. Hope ur neck gets to feeln better. From the pics of the bike - would almost bet she gets totaled. I can't imagine with that sort of crsh there was no fork damage. Whatever is ment to be will always find a way. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah I figured I wouldn't do any gear preaching as the pictures of what little injuries I received speak for themselves.

Thanks for the positive comments.

I'm definitely not saying I didn't make any mistakes here as I did and if I got a cite I would not have argued. Two motor officers handled the report and one asked me how fast I was going as the other driver said I was going fast. Wanting to be completely honest I told him 35mph at max, which I figured was actually an over estimation from where I was in the corner at the time and knowing how fast I normally go through it. Everyone on scene was professional which was nice. I do think the motor officers realized what made me brake so hard though and if I could have predicated that the truck was going to be able to stop I could have road it out but then if I was wrong I would have sustained far more injuries.

I also agree with the bikes damage. My estimate with visual damages to the bike from on-line pricing is between $3000.00 to $3500.00 factor in what the dealer charges and for labor and there full price for parts and it's going to be a rather pricey repair. The helmet and gloves alone are priced at almost $850.00 and I was told by my agent to have them included in the quote as well.

Glad your Okay bro,I see that your gear helped alot. :thumbsup: sorry for your loss, she'll pull through:beerchug:

Glad you're doing okay. The bike can be fixed. You will want to check the fairing stay with the impact on the nose.

You gloves shouldn't be a throw out item. Likely insurance is going to not cover them unless you have a policy the specifically covers motorcycle clothing. Gloves and riding gear are not considered accessories to an insurance company. You helmet will be covered if you live in a helmet required state.

Sounds like you would have been better off to stay in the corner and let the truck stop.

As far as visibility, get a headlight modulator on that bike ASAP! I won't do HID if I'm going to loose the modulation. I have had people start to pull out, then abruptly stop as soon as they look my way. That has always given me plenty of room to get by, and notice to stop if I needed to. The Kisan PathBlazer, and Back-Off modulators are the first accessories I put on a bike when I get it. They take away the "I didn't see him" excuse. They see me. If they don't they are beyond legally blind.

I agree I would have been way better to stay in the corner and let the truck stop. But honestly (and just having worked a long graveyard might have attributed) but I thought there was no way he was getting that sucker stopped. He had that total look of surprise and had already passed the Yield markers when I saw him. If the truck was loaded and it wasn't newer I have no doubt that the brakes would not have effectively been able to stop him as fast as they did. And I do have quite an extensive emergency driving braking and training experience in multiple types of vehicles that I can say that I got lucky it was the style of vehicle it was and not loaded at the time. Being that the truck was a factory flat bed conversion, I'm pretty sure that the brakes were a factory upgrade as well.

Again I'm not saying that I did everything perfect, not by a long shot. I know where I screwed up but hoping the other driver and his vehicle would be able to brake in time was nothing more then a bet.

After tallking to insurance, I think you are right they will cover the helmet but nothing else. The agent said she would have to verify this though.

Back