17 years riding first accident

As for lawyers,my daughters fiancee was in a bad wreck a year ago and the lawyers got paid and he barely got his medical bills paid off and still doesn't have a replacement car .

They may or may not have been bitten by this phenomenon:

The "ambulance chasers" advertise heavily and they get a great deal of business from people who simply do not know an honest lawyer. In that vein people heed my advice: Never contact an attorney that you see on the television. Never ever ever. In any case I offer this because I think that you have a vested in understanding this scenario at this time.

The secret is that they do not try a single case in court but instead settle them all out of court.

Here is a common scenario: Someone gets injured. They contact these attorneys whose advertisements promise significant cash. The firm has their clerk (who is making $15 an hour interning to become an attorney) fill out a standardized lawsuit letter, walk it across the street, and file it in court. Note that this does not even cost them gasoline because they conveniently established the business next to their golden calf, ergo the court.

The target of the lawsuit calls this firm up.

"Hey Bob. Okay, what's it gonna take?"

"Give me a check for $20,000 and we are done."

"Checks in the mail. Talk to you soon, a******."

"Goodbye!"

(The numbers are somewhat made up.) The attorney takes $15,000 which cost them $30 in labor total and gives the client $5,000. They do this over and over again on a large scale, as brought in by their advertising, so the attorney lives in the biggest house that you have ever seen. The client? They signed an agreement stating that they will inherently agree to whatever amount they get. Then the headaches from the accident set in and they have a lifetime of $400,000 in medical liabilities that they will never be able to pay, because they cannot legally sue again.

My final point on this is that attorneys are not bad. Bad attorneys are bad. I know plenty of impeccably honest hones. Those in at-fault states should ideally be able to get their costs covered, but clearly not by these attorneys.

Well his insurance company,Progressive has already stated they will have nothing to do with my bike . Basically my insurance company has to take care of fixing/totalling the bike and getting me a replacement . Then they have to sue Progressive . That's just the bike,we're not even at the whole pain,suffering,gear replacement and work loss . Not looking forward to this . Thankfully I have excellent insurance .

Do they sue the perps insurance or file a claim against them?

So, you are relying on your insurance company. I expect that your agent may tell you, "We can offer $x do you accept?" Keep in mind when you sign a check for receipt of funds that is a legal contract implying that you completely agree to that settlement. This likely restricts you from a second chance such as a separate lawsuit. (You can verify this as I am not an attorney.) Keep in mind that you may always say no to the settlement and provide a counteroffer.

In the perp's insurance discovery where they may attempt to blame the motorcyclist, your word as an officer is obviously an ace in the whole.

Last edited:
Honestly Smedly, lawyer up if necessary. Find credible representation. Put them in contact with your insurance. Protect yourself. Let them dicker it out.

I want to see the young man learn his lesson, but I want your well-being at the front of the priorities, first and foremost.:thumbsup:

Glad you're with us. Lost a few close ones lately.

Spud.

Back