Couldn't ride for nearly 2 years....

Rev. 6:5

Registered
Next month would have made 2 years since I'd ridden my Busa. I almost got killed on it.

Was going on a 3 lane city street. Far right lane had a minivan going under the speed limit. Center lane had a semi truck and trailer doing the same speed (about 40mph in a 45mph zone). Left lane was wide open. I don't like to hang around beside semi trucks very long because they have such a hard time seeing us, so I cleared the left lane and accelerated to break past the truck as quickly as possible. I was up to about 60mph when I reached the back of the trailer. At that point, the truck brakes hard and turns left in front of me. No turn signal, nothing. Apparently he realized he was about to miss his turn and be damned to whomever was around him. I locked up both brakes, expecting a dump, but at least avoiding the trailer if I could push off from the bike. I literally slid sideways for about 30 feet, both brakes locked, without high siding or dumping it completely. God had my back during this maneuver because I don't even know how it was possible. I came so close to going under the trailer, I literally caught myself with it as it passed by to retain my balance. If that wasn't enough, a Suburban, coming the opposite direction, was apparently upset that the truck had cut him off, so, in his attempt to "show that trucker", he was going to fly past the back of the trailer as fast as he could. Well, that's where I was, stalled out by this point. He locks it up and does a sliding skid towards me. Thank God I got the bike started in time and gunned it, narrowly missing the Suburban. After all was said and done, the only damage to the bike was that I literally split the center of the rear tire down the middle from the controlled skid.

I nervously laughed it off with false bravado, but parked my bike in the garage, where it's sat for nearly 2 years.

My problem was that I had no control over what that trucker did. How can you avoid something you have no control over? I've finally accepted that $&*% happens and that I cannot let it stop me from riding. I replaced the battery, blew out the old fuel, replaced the split tire and have now been riding again for 4 days. Sure feels good to be back in the saddle, but I am a bit more apprehensive around big trucks. ???

First off, glad that did not end worst for you. And there is nothing you can do to control everything around you. Any activity assumes a certain amount of risks, motorcycling more so than a lot of others. I just accept that risk and ride on; it's all you can do.

And nice work on the save :thumbsup:

I had no choice on the save. The wife would have kicked my ass. I've already dumped this bike once, and I'd NEVER dumped a bike....EVER in my 40 years of life!

I had a truck pull out in front of me while i was being a dumb a** doing around 130 on my old bike i didnt even have time hit the brakes hit the back of the truck and some how walked away with some road rash and a broken thumb. I wouldnt even touch a bike until about a year later when a buddy of mine asked me to go riding with him and take his r1. That ride I was scared to death but had a blast and just slowly got my confidence back. Time and facing the problem helps alot.

Sorry about your scare and the reticence to ride again. Glad to hear you have worked it out now. :thumbsup:

from my dunce stool via tapatalk

Glad to see you back and back in the saddle. Sorry about the incident. It's called survival, we all have it in us. Best of luck brother.

I had something similar happen to me. Except the vehicle that cut me off was an Aztec. It scared the HELL out of me. I was shaking for the next half hour easy, as I was trying to pound down a few beers with a friend. I saw that aztec in the parking lot of the mall, and all I could think about was just waiting for that person to return and having a very short conversation with them. **** does happen, no matter what you are doing, **** happens. It all just depends on how you take it. I'm glad to hear you survived and your ok and back to riding. :D

yes **** happens and we have to be prepared, speed is one thing we have control of. I know you have thought about if only I had only doing 45 it would have not been as close. Glad you are back riding.

Im having the same problem - After hitting a deer last year and living to tell about it- riding is not the same Ithought I had everything under controll greard up- going slow 45=- helmet - boots- glovesa and still got all busted u
Best looking motorcycle accident MCG aususta has ever seen not a scratch on me- Lots of broken bones
Im still scared the deer has knocked the fun out of it for me rode about 6 times this year.Always thinking what if
Maybe time will work it out maybe I will hang it up- How many chances do you get???

glad you survived the experience! i've been down several times (thankfully, never on the Busa) and it just takes time spent in the saddle to get over it...i hope you are able to get your confidence back and learn to enjoy being on two wheels again :beerchug:

p.s. it also helps to be a little crazy :laugh:

Congrads..............It took me 15 years to get back in the saddle thinking I knew what I was doing. It was like re-learning everything that used to come natural to me.

Welcome Back !!!

Robert

Rev, welcome back! I vaguely remember your post from the past, and only now realized that you've been MIA. Welcome back brother. Confronting your fears is the biggest challeng of all because you can't avoid it - you are squeezed between the fear and the desire, and it only boils up with no resolve. Don't know if you watched the movie 'Apocalipto', but if you did you'd know what I am talking about in regard to confronting your fears.

Good for you. It's all in the past and has no bearing on the future. Just be a bit more defensive - that's all you can and need to do. I personally had to go through something similar, and understand what you are going through. Riding after such a long time, you must be exstatic to feel the time and space move when you ride - enjoy it - this is an experience in its own.

A small point on letting other drivers know that you are around - install if you didn't an air horn, and use it at the slightest doubt to make sure truck drivers and others are aware of your presence - a short blast is all you need.

Have a safe and enjoyable riding - I know you will.

When I had my big one afew years ago I got back on as soon as the insurance check for a new bike. I rode right past the place where I was run off the road by a speeding (probably drunk) pickup. Didn't want the grimlins to get in my head. Bottom line is your number can come anytime. I have had the unfortunate experience of having faced death a few times in other types of accidents and have come to the conclusion that you're going when your time is up.

Funny, I recently had a really minor low speed spill that was all my fault. That has actually been harder to get over than the bad accident. It's like the bad one was fate and beyond control but the other one made me question myself.

Back