17 years riding first accident

smedly

Registered
Coming home from work,sitting at a red light in the left lane second vehicle from the light .Light turns,car in front of me makes a left,I proceed through intersection and the 2020 Suburban next to me decides he's going to gun it and make a left turn from the right lane as we're both halfway through the intersection . I collide with his driver's side door,he continues to turn and I try to steer away . I realize this could end badly and I don't know how I did it but I threw myself off and rolled . All I really remember is hearing the loudest sound I ever heard and thinking "that's my head cracking open" .
As I laid there I realized that wasn't my head split open,but the sound of my helmet hitting the ground . Then the anger came on . As I stood up my left side was screaming and my lower left shin was letting me know that it hurts too . Thankfully the driver pulled over and got out of his vehicle . As he walked over I started to take off my gear to make sure I didn't have any bones sticking out . As I'm doing this I start calling him everything but a child of God asking him what the he'll he was thinking . Witnesses on the corner started to tell me to calm th f down and move my bike . Then the last part of my gear,my jacket came off and the driver and everyone else realized not only did he hit a motorcyclist but a motorcyclist wearing his Deputy Sheriff uniform . Dead silence . I called 911, PD,Sheriff,Fire,EMS show up .I was cleared by EMS and had my Hayabusa towed to my house . Driver was cited of course . He did seem somewhat confused about why he's not allowed to make a left turn from the right lane .
After I got home I did decide to go to the ER to make sure I had no internal injuries . After a CT scan it was confirmed nothing broken,no internal injuries . Thankfully all I have is a slightly stiff neck,a tiny bit of road rash and badly bruised left sternum . My insurance company has told my wife that without even seeing my bike to be prepared for it to be totalled . The driver of the Suburban has yet to inform his insurance company . They found out when my insurance company called them .
Please everyone wear your gear ANYTIME YOU RIDE!!!! The ER doctor was shocked that I had no major injuries and attributes it to my gear . He told me and my wife I was the 3rd motorcycle rider accident he dealt with this week . The other 2 were in their 20's no helmets and low speed collisions . One died and the second "will never have a normal life " doctors exact words .
Yes,I will be getting another Hayabusa . I just have wait a bit .

As I laid there I realized that wasn't my head split open,but the sound of my helmet hitting the ground . Then the anger came on . As I stood up my left side was screaming and my lower left shin was letting me know that it hurts too . Thankfully the driver pulled over and got out of his vehicle . As he walked over I started to take off my gear to make sure I didn't have any bones sticking out . As I'm doing this I start calling him everything but a child of God asking him what the he'll he was thinking . Witnesses on the corner started to tell me to calm th f down and move my bike . Then the last part of my gear,my jacket came off and the driver and everyone else realized not only did he hit a motorcyclist but a motorcyclist wearing his Deputy Sheriff uniform . Dead silence . I called 911, PD,Sheriff,Fire,EMS show up .I was cleared by EMS and had my Hayabusa towed to my house . Driver was cited of course . He did seem somewhat confused about why he's not allowed to make a left turn from the right lane .
After I got home I did decide to go to the ER to make sure I had no internal injuries . After a CT scan it was confirmed nothing broken,no internal injuries . Thankfully all I have is a slightly stiff neck,a tiny bit of road rash and badly bruised left sternum . My insurance company has told my wife that without even seeing my bike to be prepared for it to be totalled . The driver of the Suburban has yet to inform his insurance company . They found out when my insurance company called them .
Jiminy Christmas...you were blessed for sure.

Stupid is what stupid does...that guy needs to go to a driving class to refresh how he is supposed to be driving.

I would have liked to be there when he saw your uniform and the sinking feeling he must have had...people normally don't want to see cops from a distance let alone almost running them over...

Here are some pics . Alignment is off as handlebars are full lock but wheel is barely turned . State Farm said that’s one thing they’re going to look at . If it’s off by more than 1 millimeter they total motorcycles . Appraiser comes next friday

793C5329-7D9F-4E80-B0D7-BD2EA739DD0B.jpeg

A4209F1F-3EAF-4330-9525-E85C1719CE94.jpeg

A7E5BF90-5079-47DF-B25A-63A697C74FAE.jpeg

020D885C-971B-43F3-82D2-8F7BBE7C5666.jpeg

1E7AEC76-75B8-4C19-86FB-9CE4359B955A.jpeg

4FC04964-7AA2-4341-9878-D56DD48C4705.jpeg

3ED59406-B8B9-4E5F-8378-E0F11F2374DC.jpeg

80BF5F67-C59B-485A-BE92-39A367937DC5.jpeg

63CAAF40-C774-4573-9F53-BCC11ECE342D.jpeg

36B61BC5-8504-4DAC-A7A8-EB521315998C.jpeg

B6A95324-C5B5-45AC-9186-CC339CB9944A.jpeg

8A690D20-3B3F-4790-9A61-1FB6ACB49472.jpeg

82C2206E-3BFD-47EC-B5A9-30D0BADDCFB1.jpeg

AA55AF30-4528-492E-9A6D-5A9A5629F131.jpeg

FC4878B8-8B4C-43B2-AE5A-8AC60CFE0A69.jpeg

C0FE867E-B0C3-45E5-BE24-C8A44B710D3B.jpeg

0A5D9BF1-D68B-4C52-82B0-79047264A133.jpeg

B3171108-91A0-407D-886E-95CFA1E771AC.jpeg

Very sad to see that bike all beat up like that...it is sure shiny though, were you taking the pictures in your underwear? The shot you took of your front fender says yes....

Oh trust me I thought about it .Then when everyone stopped yelling at me I realized why and I shut up . Imagine a YouTube video of a uniformed Deputy beating the crap out of a civilian . All the while screaming profanities . That would be bad . Besides, his action is considered an accident .His intent( I hope) was not to hit me . If I take off my gear and proceed to assault him,I get arrested . Because my intent is to cause harm .

Restraint and reasonableness has to overcome your feelings (you know this being in law enforcement) but you certainly had the right to be passed off. The look on the driver probably looked the face of the woman who bumped me on a freeway some years back while I was driving my car. At the time I was an investigator who dealt with vehicle collisions involving police officers. Even so, thanks to her insurance company I ended up having to take her to court over my damages. Good luck with yours.

Glad to hear you’re relatively ok and hope you make a full recovery. I completely understand your frustration with the idiot doing what he did. When i was involved in an accident, she turned left in front of me and said the sun was in her eyes so she didn’t see me.

B30DF12E-E48D-47D7-80F8-616305E5F005.jpeg

Well his insurance company,Progressive has already stated they will have nothing to do with my bike . Basically my insurance company has to take care of fixing/totalling the bike and getting me a replacement . Then they have to sue Progressive . That's just the bike,we're not even at the whole pain,suffering,gear replacement and work loss . Not looking forward to this . Thankfully I have excellent insurance .

Back