109 miles on 1 tank of gas?

Do you drive down the highway with overdrive off in your personal car? Or in manual 2nd around town? At really light throttle there isn't much reason to wind the engine out, unless you just like the sound. There isn't anything wrong with that- just realize your fuel economy is suffering. If the bike ran like crap shifting early it wouldn't be published in the manual, for starters. It's bucking because you're giving it too much throttle at low rpm. Back off the wrist a tad and it'll run smoothly.

Mine doesn't buck at all, I'm routinely in 6th in city traffic, going 35 mph. 1000 rpm is a stretch, but it can handle 1500 with no issues at all. You're riding something with 1300cc's of displacement, it can pull a tall gear without difficulty. It's not a Rebel 250! It also doesn't get rebel 250 milage, either.

First = I do not own a CAR, but have had many in the past and my wife has a truck that has an overdrive button. It is only used in the mountains to increase RPM's when climbing. The cars I have owned have been Porkchops Alfa's and Lotus's And AGAIN I must say this: THERE IS NO WAY, NO HOW, THAT A CAR OR BIKE SHOULD BE DRIVING OR RIDING IN IDLE MODE!!!!!!

I AM JUST STUNNED THAT ANYONE WOULD EVEN BEGIN TO TELL ME THIS IS THE WAY AN ENGINE WAS DESIGNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am ranting Because I can not believe you actually ride a Bike, much less a Busa, in this manner!

I am really risking My rep here on the Org, as I am bout to come unglued.

I may just have to try your method one more time and shoot a video of me!!!
Don't queer on me pitch, cause you ain't herd me out yet!

BUBBA

If it was going to cause engine damage it wouldn't be suggested in the factory literature, trust me on that one.

If I'm horsing around, it gets shifted at redline. If I'm riding somewhat aggressively, somewhere between 5-7k. But cruising to/from work every morning? A little over 2k, sometimes 2500, I'm clicking into the next gear, and it's getting maybe 1/8 throttle total. It runs fine, and you're not in danger of damaging anything.

Should probably mention, worst tank I've ever had was about 30mpg, but that was a solid tankful of riding like a jack***, but I average high 30's, and have a couple in the very low 40's. And that's with +2 on the rear sprocket.

Last edited:
If it was going to cause engine damage it wouldn't be suggested in the factory literature, trust me on that one.

If I'm horsing around, it gets shifted at redline. If I'm riding somewhat aggressively, somewhere between 5-7k. But cruising to/from work every morning? A little over 2k, sometimes 2500, I'm clicking into the next gear, and it's getting maybe 1/8 throttle total. It runs fine, and you're not in danger of damaging anything.

Should probably mention, worst tank I've ever had was about 30mpg, but that was a solid tankful of riding like a jack***, but I average high 30's, and have a couple in the very low 40's. And that's with +2 on the rear sprocket.

I think we just have a difference of opinion and riding styles. I am much more into higher RPM's at shift and tend to keep them high!

I never go to redline! but have the indicator light set at 9500 just as a reminder.

Anyone else care to offer an opinion?

First = I do not own a CAR, but have had many in the past and my wife has a truck that has an overdrive button. It is only used in the mountains to increase RPM's when climbing. The cars I have owned have been Porkchops Alfa's and Lotus's And AGAIN I must say this: THERE IS NO WAY, NO HOW, THAT A CAR OR BIKE SHOULD BE DRIVING OR RIDING IN IDLE MODE!!!!!!

I AM JUST STUNNED THAT ANYONE WOULD EVEN BEGIN TO TELL ME THIS IS THE WAY AN ENGINE WAS DESIGNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am ranting Because I can not believe you actually ride a Bike, much less a Busa, in this manner!

I am really risking My rep here on the Org, as I am bout to come unglued.

I may just have to try your method one more time and shoot a video of me!!!
Don't queer on me pitch, cause you ain't herd me out yet!

BUBBA

+1 i agree. i never ride below 2500 usually. normal cruising for me is 3-3500

I think we just have a difference of opinion and riding styles. I am much more into higher RPM's at shift and tend to keep them high!

I never go to redline! but have the indicator light set at 9500 just as a reminder.

Anyone else care to offer an opinion?

I'm with you on this one, BUBBA. . . I don't see how anyone ride this bike and shift at 2000rpm. (Not sayin you don't, blus. Just sayin I don't understand it.) There's no way I'd ever shift that early. If I'm just cruisin around I shift at about 4. If I'm playing a little then it's about 6-8. If I'm at the track or something it's 10.5-11.

Riding through the CITY (I mean ones with tall buildings, and stop lights at every corner), I get bad mileage, under 30 mpg, but I have a hang up that I have to go fill up when I get around a quarter tank, just me. I have an 06, with a full system & custom tune.

I can ride my bike at low rpm's, BUT it don't like it !! It shifts like crap !! I've hit a false neutral (between 5-6) twice when shifting at very low rpm's ?

After fill-up, does anyone else go like 80 miles before the needle even moves off of full, then it just drops like crazy after that ?

If I baby the bike, stay around 60-65 mph 6'th gear, no stops I'll get 50 mpg. Normal riding I get 40-43 mpg. Out having fun, high 20's to low 30's.........does that sound normal ? Again I have 06, full system, K-N air filter, pair valve blocked off, and custom Dyno tune,

After fill-up, does anyone else go like 80 miles before the needle even moves off of full, then it just drops like crazy after that ?

Yup, I can burn thru 1.7 gal by the time the needle just passes below the F black line. At half a tank level on the fuel gauge I have about 1.5 gal left in the tank.

Well Bros, I must say that the Busa transmission seems to be designed to shift more smoothly
under engine pressure and at higher RPMs. That's what I've experienced.
NOW, as far as any damage from riding it at slower engine speeds, I don't think there's
any problem there. Here's an excerpt from the Busa Owners Manual.
Note the shift points. :rofl:

BusaShift.jpg

Asking questions is the only way to learn. It all depends on your riding style. I rode mine on the track yesterday, 7 sessions on a 2 mile track, used a whole tank. :laugh:

what is mpg? when the light turns on i just fill it up.

idk how you can ride around shifting like that lol. unless i'm on the highway my bike never see's anything above 5th. i don't shift into 4th till i get to abt 60. i like riding around with my rpms high 5K so i can hear that beautiful short meg exhaust just sing :beerchug:

Just a thought but if your cruising at 30 mph try getting in a higher gear. City driving I try to keep her below 2k rpm, I am usually in stopped traffic for an hour daily through the week It is still 180 - 200 miles when the light comes on. If I do Exit to Exit driving on a tank its about 214 before the light comes on. I just try to keep the rpm's as low as I can and I am easy on take off and when passing. No need for Mach 1 on the streets (not in all cases anyway :laugh: ) If I run her hard, even when riding 2 up I can still get close to 180 before the light.

Kennym4
I wouldnt sweat the false neutral,,mine did it when I bought mine new,,,I looked on line,,and youll see that alot of people had this problem,,I was concerned, but was reassured that that happens to alot of the busa's when they are still breaking in,,,I was told it was the transmission matting in and after it matted in it would stop and iw was ussually advisable to clear up after 1500-2000 miles on a new bike,,,,mine did it quite a bit when I first got it on soft shifting in the breakin period,then around 2000 miles it stopped,,butive got 8500 miles om my bike and it does it once and a while,maybe once every other month,,Im glad it wasnt serious,,,,but I was glad to hear i wasnt alone and it was a beniegn problem,,,,,,,

Kennym4
I wouldnt sweat the false neutral,,mine did it when I bought mine new,,,I looked on line,,and youll see that alot of people had this problem,,I was concerned, but was reassured that that happens to alot of the busa's when they are still breaking in,,,I was told it was the transmission matting in and after it matted in it would stop and iw was ussually advisable to clear up after 1500-2000 miles on a new bike,,,,mine did it quite a bit when I first got it on soft shifting in the breakin period,then around 2000 miles it stopped,,butive got 8500 miles om my bike and it does it once and a while,maybe once every other month,,Im glad it wasnt serious,,,,but I was glad to hear i wasnt alone and it was a beniegn problem,,,,,,,

But when mine did it, it made a NASTY noise, like gears grinding, or something slapping. It hasn't done it in a long time. I have 12,000 miles on it now, but I shift at higher rpm.

Something is not right on your mileage... I did 118 miles at the track this weekend in high rpm 2nd and 3rd gear and used just over a tank of gas....

Again, nothing wrong with that at all! However, it is why your milage is worse than others. I ride very lightly around town, because I know if I'm a couple gears below 6th I'm more inclined to horse around. I try to limit myself so I don't get in trouble with the cops. :D

Back