10-Year Anniversary Freshen-up

I can only imagine! If I'm being honest since I have been really putting the Busa through it's paces I wonder each ride if the BSTs were not the ticket. The new sport bikes are getting longer to help with the power they have these days. The RSV1100RR has a 56 inch WB and the Busa was listed as 58 inches.
56" is old oil cooled Gixxer , and yes , I see they are moving away from 1420mm wheelbase with some 1000cc , by steepening the steering geometry , rake/ trail .
I researched the shite out of wheels back in the day , and Marchesini used to be the best then , not exactly the lightest either , but they spun the longest by ballerina type testing , with light outer and acceptable central weight to keep the spin going longest . Motorcyclist did the test back in the day .
Well BST are setup best for that same excellent central weight and outer weight ratio , and combined with ceramics , well I'll put it this way , both my rides have this setup .

I guess mine has a bit done as well , the top clamp and clipons weigh 1kg total , also carbon panels no inner foam on them , super light stock seat , the Shorai is a lot lighter than original Yuasa , but nearly double what is out there that could replace it . The aluminum subframe is 3kg + lighter , and tank mount is lightened out .
@Dai. has gone further with his Yoshi tank and HP upgrades , he has most if not all chassis mods as my thing has had done , but is already to go further , perhaps even with his other Gen 2 build , he is really onto it , and more one eyed Busa than most !!
Don’t say that lol, about to buy an 84 1100 Kat to modernise with engine work and suspension goodies.

I’ve found with how much lighter and quicker Ruby is than stock, gets a little “flighty” when doing over 270km/h or so, doesn’t help it’s running a shorter front guard than the normal shape but more than happy to sacrifice speed over looks.

Thats all for race bodywork and 1/4 mile racers , not street ( lights etc. , no air filter capacity , extended alien tailpiece fitment ) friendly ... All that has been available for some years now with no easy street mounting ..... I guess you could commit and try to modify , lots of dollars to hang on the wall if fail too . I do love Montgomery carbon still though.....especially the airbox and the kickstand ( kickstand is streetable ) .

Thats all for race bodywork and 1/4 mile racers , not street ( lights etc. , no air filter capacity , extended alien tailpiece fitment ) friendly ... All that has been available for some years now with no easy street mounting ..... I guess you could commit and try to modify , lots of dollars to hang on the wall if fail too . I do love Montgomery carbon still though.....especially the airbox and the kickstand ( kickstand is streetable ) .

3C799DB5-9385-4065-AD3D-09BF9742AE43.jpeg

How would you propose we find the exact CG ?

How accurate does this have to be? Is this for curiosity or are you doing something critical like hanging the bike based on it?

This I googled (WARNING!) However the height is from Cossalter's work (The "Motorcycle Dynamics" author.) Note that he derived formulas for estimates based on the style of bike and the wheelbase.

Hayabusa COG Height: 20.6 INCHES

Reference:

I cannot find the horizontal CG but this is easy to calculate. However one must measure the weight on each wheel while on a level surface:

latex.php?zoom=1.png

x=horizontal position of cg from front axle
Wf=front weight
Wr=rear weight
WB=wheelbase

Reference:

I found such sample weights from the owner of a lightweight bike here:

Plugging in a sample lightweight bike I get COGx = 27.6 inches from the front axle.

Good sample data until someone reproduces experimental data with their bike.

Note you may use a bathroom scale like the above owner did. However the resulting tilt is a problem. The opposite wheel must be raised to the same height as the scale. Calibrate the scale with weight plates around the 230-250 lb mark.

How accurate does this have to be? Is this for curiosity or are you doing something critical like hanging the bike based on it?

This I googled (WARNING!) However the height is from Cossalter's work (The "Motorcycle Dynamics" author.) Note that he derived formulas for estimates based on the style of bike and the wheelbase.

Hayabusa COG Height: 20.6 INCHES

Reference:

I cannot find the horizontal CG but this is easy to calculate. However one must measure the weight on each wheel while on a level surface:

View attachment 1609256

x=horizontal position of cg from front axle
Wf=front weight
Wr=rear weight
WB=wheelbase

Reference:

I found such sample weights from the owner of a lightweight bike here:

Plugging in a sample lightweight bike I get COGx = 27.6 inches from the front axle.

Good sample data until someone reproduces experimental data with their bike.

Note you may use a bathroom scale like the above owner did. However the resulting tilt is a problem. The opposite wheel must be raised to the same height as the scale. Calibrate the scale with weight plates around the 230-250 lb mark.
Good info! I don't think it's super important to be all that accurate for my purposes but this has opened my eyes to the struggle MotoGP riders & teams face with mass centralization and different rider sizes/weights!

I'm a bit disappointed my friend. I met a guy that ships things like engines, motorcycles, boats, etc. He put the Busa on his huge scale and it weighed 501 wet with 3/4 tank of fuel! He said scale might be off but not by more than +/- 2 lbs.
Looking for another scale to weigh the Busa. I have tallied my parts and no way do I get to 80+ lbs of weight loss. I'm thinking it should be more like 520=535 lbs. Whatever it is I love the bike's new personality. I am amazed how hard it is to get a reliable number.

Looking for another scale to weigh the Busa. I have tallied my parts and no way do I get to 80+ lbs of weight loss. I'm thinking it should be more like 520=535 lbs. Whatever it is I love the bike's new personality. I am amazed how hard it is to get a reliable number.
Just an idea but if you have any car race teams or related shops in your area they typically have scales. It could be a dirt track team or shop, drag oriented team or shop, Busch league, local series etc

If that guy ships stuff, his scale must be pretty accurate as those weights need to be on the tally for the truck.

Our local landfill has scales too but I’m not sure if they have a minimum weight as in would a motorcycle be too lightvto read accurately on their scale? Same thing for a truck stop scale as a possibility if it reads that low.

Dragstrips will have scales too just as another possibility

At the end of the day , it just weighs what it is , and that would be a considered build bike that is a very polished transformed machine . Your bike is certainly sporting all the right handling mods bro , so , the resulting sum of all those parts is the best , trimmed ride , quality Busa around .

Back