10-Year Anniversary Freshen-up

got the CF front fender. Not sure I like it and the blue CF actually matches the paint I have on the bike now better! It's is beautiful though.

The BMW is trying to be what it's not, which is a comfortable Hayabusa. It has amazing build quality but it's complexity and incredible design/manufacturing oversights stop it from being what a touring bike must fundamentally be - stable, easy to ride and reliable. The Hayabusa is simple, amazingly flexible and basically a legend. The Hayabusa is to motorcycles what Ali was to boxing......
just to be clear.... Walker smith junior(with over 200 fights as a pro) was the greatest fighter to ever live.... EVER..... Ali was simply the greatest heavyweight...… not the greatest one to ever do it.

hey man, will you post a close up of the brake line brackets on that cf fender, and the gap between the tire and fender front and rear?

I have been looking at the Carbon Fiber fender and these are some of my more detailed thoughts:
  1. CF is a structural material and it really needs to be shaped different than plastic. For example, plastic need more folds and plane changes to be stiff enough to function unsupported (like keeping the shape of the wheel). Since the CF fender is molded from the plastic part, the CF version is extremely stiff and took some major body English to get between the fork legs, where the plastic one can be pinched and slid into place. It also takes some careful tugging to align the bolts, as the CF does not take to bending like the plastic. That said, the fit of the fender was perfect.

2. Man, these guys can lay the CF sheet. The grain is perfect and consistent, almost looks painted on. The clear coat is perfect too. The pigment in the Looks like the layered lacquers on a Japanese bowl. Downside is the clear coating is brittle feeling. This is a bit worrying on the edges, where you can see that in the manufacturing process how the layers of CF were cut off at the edge of the fender. The edge is still brittle, I could see the edge fraying or chipping.

3. Speaking of brittle, I have a CF PUIG hugger on the rear and the edges are cracking. I think this is mainly because the wheel turns into the edge of the hugger, so it’s much more susceptible to damage – especially from a 55 series tire. But plastic would just likely wear down, not crack off which looks a bit worse for wear.

4. The underside of the new front fender looks like an uncoated layer of CF. This is what 100% CF parts look like, but this is going to really build grime under the fender. I’m thinking about coating this side with something that will be easier to clean (clear coat or maybe just paint). I’ll have to discuss options with MotoComposites.

5. This thing is light as a feather. Amazingly light as CF tends to be. It feels like there is one of those Hollywood lines tied to it holding it up in the air or something. It’s just a fender, but it is now one fricking light as heck fender!
I know this may sound negative, but it is not intended that way at all. The workmanship on this fender is magnificent and it’s as sexy as you might imagine CF would be. I tend to analyze things very objectively. That sets my expectations and my understanding of what’s needed to hopefully get the results I want. Bottom line is CF is not a streetable material, it’s high performance and temperamental so you have to go into it understanding that.

I’m still thinking this might be better as plain black CF, which would have been significantly cheaper as a fiberglass mix. Better to not look like it was supposed to match if it’s going to be a shade off. Tough to really make the call until I get the fairings in. I forgot to ask the painter for a sample of the blue to use until the fairings are done, so I’m guessing on matches.

That’s my story, I’m sticking to it…..

I've got one I picked up on ebay years ago, but the fitment isn't phenomenal.

Back