0em Gearing For Swb 09

mike miller

Registered
im gonna be running the bike in spring in the 1/4, 09 with full exhaust ,slightly lowered, tuned,smart tre mod and a few other misc things. nothing crazy. stock wheel base on street tires. i ride the bike daily so i really dont wanna drop gearing down just to run the track a few times, anyone here putting down decent times with the 18/43 oem gearing on the gen 2? ill be happy with low to mid 9s out of it once i get the launch down .

ya. ill see how it goes. it seems alot of swb are running close to oem gearing and or even taking a tooth off the rear but until i try it i wont know

If you weigh under 200 pounds you should be able to get to mid 9's with stock gearing. The most I would add is one or two teeth in the back. You will likely need a clutch mod once you start getting the 60's down. You can get the nice but expensive Brocks mod or the cheaper MPS ring that fits in the stock setup but works just as well. I highly recommend a front strap to keep the wheelies under control.

Yes I'm only 165. I have the carpenter ring already on the way. Only lowering an inch but may strap the front. I just hate to lose top end and highway cruising rpm if I can still run 9s the way it is. For my purposes the tre works well I don't have any complaint with it.

There is an ongoing issue with the forums. Don't click the post button multiple times, just once and wait a bit, then go back to the forum main screen again and you will see that your post went through.

The strap will do more for you than lowering 1" and it is easy enough to take off when you don't want it on there. Be sure to get the caliper brackets for a Gen2. The bike will do 9's for sure with your weight and mods (with a strap) but there is a learning curve if you haven't done it.

Ya. I've ran 9.7on my swb 05 zx10 but the busa and that bike are way diff styles to launch so might take me few tries to get used to busa. I'm debating on trying brocks launch vs maybe a 3500 launch

If you do the 3500 launch you will need to be real quick getting the throttle open. If you leave between 5-6000 you use less throttle. Either way works. I just looked through some of my SWB vids from 2012 on a Busa set up like we are talking and I did both methods (the 3500 was by accident) and went 9.24, 9.25 and 9.26. It had exhaust, 45 tooth sprocket, lowered and strapped, not much else.

I'll try a few ways to see what works. I just don't wanna launch crazy hard and wheelie cause I don't weigh alot. I'm gonna stick with 18/4 3 for now and see where I end up

9.7 on a SWB ZX10R ain't bad at all , those things would want to wheelie a heap . Reakon you will have a better time on the Busa in regards to launch compared to the Kawasaki , look forward to hear how you go in March , mike miller . I like the SWB 2012 Busa numbers Dennis ran , I have mentioned in a different post , that a young fellow down here in South Oz Adelaide , works in a bike shop , runs a '13 Busa standard wheelbase and motor , lowered and geared 45T and has run 9.3 1/4's . We are at sea level , but can be very hot and sometimes mild also in drag season . I would like my L2 to have a run one day , lowered , SWB as is , it's had the clutch mod , I run 45 t now anyway with 1/4 throttle and will fit quick shifter . I ain't any good drag racing myself anymore , I still enjoy corner carving though , but I may get a light young fellow who can ride , onto it , or my old mate from Darwin one day , who is 60kg and gifted drag / road / racer , rider . I am interested in what my lightened 2012 bike will do .

Ya I work at a shop also. I'm a mc and auto tech. I've had alot of bikes. I know my zx10 can go faster but I only did one run cause that bike is scary once it picks up speed cause it weighs hardly anything. I think it would give the busa a good run. But I think the heavier busa will allow me to get a quicker time though with swb. But we will see in a few months

My zx10 second ride in snow. Lol

20171214_082053.jpg

I had an 08 ZX10 years back. With the clutch chatter, stock gearing, and short wheelbase I never even made a full pass. I figured I should be able to get in the 10's but it was quite embarrassing.

It's -16F here right now. Supposed to get down to -22F. My road is packed with snow so even if I could stand the cold I wouldn't be able to go down the road.

Ya I love the zx10 but it's not an easy bike to launch swb. I stuck with the gen 1 cause they only weigh 436 fully fueled in stock trim which mine is far from. I was actually thinking of getting a 2011 to make a s1000rr killer cause they are very close # wise to the bmw when modded but I think id rather just keep the busa.

I would just let the BMW kill itself. They aren't that awesome at the track and clutches are $600 a pop. A buddy had one and bought a new clutch every 50 passes. The liter bikes can be fast, but so can the Busa and they are much more forgiving and reliable.

Back