need to change gearing for nitrous..like...tomorrow.

FTMFW

Registered
im running way behind, and have to have the bike set up for saturday, will be/should be the first time i actually hose the bike, with the exception of the dyno.

so heres the question.

2008 busa, right now the bike has 1 down, 2 up gearing. i bought a bunch of sprockets from vortex as i want to get to maxton later this year, and i knew i'd be doing some tweaking, so ive got a few to choose from.

right now, with -1/+2 gearing, i go through the traps at 140, top of 4th/bottom of 5th gear on a good run (i know, low mph, i weigh like 325 suited). what would be ideal gearing to go with, i had a rider that was going to test it on spray, he made a hit on motor, and said that he'd run out of gear on spray, so it got me concerned. im thinking about switching to stock front sprocket/+1 for spray.

anyone have any experience they could pass my way :thumbsup::bowdown::beerchug:

If your running into 5th with 17/45 gears, your in a bad gearing range. If the front end is staying down OK, you can go with a 16/45 or even a 16/46 and use most of 5th gear. This gearing will also give you the advantage of getting the clutch out easier and faster in 1st, and give you a bit more rear wheel torque off the line. If your only using 4 gears, your not maximizing the torque to the rear tire. The extra .080 seconds you lose for the extra shift is more than made up for with extra torque in first.

im running way behind, and have to have the bike set up for saturday, will be/should be the first time i actually hose the bike, with the exception of the dyno.

so heres the question.

2008 busa, right now the bike has 1 down, 2 up gearing. i bought a bunch of sprockets from vortex as i want to get to maxton later this year, and i knew i'd be doing some tweaking, so ive got a few to choose from.

right now, with -1/+2 gearing, i go through the traps at 140, top of 4th/bottom of 5th gear on a good run (i know, low mph, i weigh like 325 suited). what would be ideal gearing to go with, i had a rider that was going to test it on spray, he made a hit on motor, and said that he'd run out of gear on spray, so it got me concerned. im thinking about switching to stock front sprocket/+1 for spray.

anyone have any experience they could pass my way :thumbsup::bowdown::beerchug:

Im a BIGG man myself 380 punds suited up. What rpms do you launch and does the engine bog down when you launch? Are you extended and how much? I was using 16/47 gearing when the weather was cooler and was running low 10's As the weather gets hotter the engine would bog down a little and really start to hurt the ET. I put a 50t rear sprocket on it and it didnt bog any more and my best et was 9.90. With the 16/47 I was using 5th gear and my shift light would be comming on as I got to the finish line. With the 50t I am using 6th gear now My bike is lowered 1" front and rear and extended 8". Hope this helps.

If your running into 5th with 17/45 gears, your in a bad gearing range. If the front end is staying down OK, you can go with a 16/45 or even a 16/46 and use most of 5th gear. This gearing will also give you the advantage of getting the clutch out easier and faster in 1st, and give you a bit more rear wheel torque off the line. If your only using 4 gears, your not maximizing the torque to the rear tire. The extra .080 seconds you lose for the extra shift is more than made up for with extra torque in first.

i had used a 16t front with the 46 rear and it wheelied too hard, i only caught the mildest one on video as luck would have it. video here

- 2008 hayabusa @ byron, 11-2009[/url]

granted, some of that was improper riding, but it was doing it all day and i was frustrated. 60's were staying consistent low 1.6's (which wasnt too far off of my average)

it also bogged, cuz i couldnt give it enough rpm and slide out the clutch right.

so i think 17 or 18 front would be good. what is the ideal gear/rpm to be going through the traps at?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back