'08 Myrtle Beach Bike Week

nailhead432

Registered
Just wanted to add my .02 worth on my trip to Myrtle Beach from Birmingham, AL. First off, I want to say the bike did wonderfully. I left Birmingham around 12:30 and went to Raleigh, NC to visit some old friends. So far I've been averaging 37 miles per gallon around town, so I was curious to see what kinda mileage I would get on a long trip. The reason I got off to a late start is because I took my bike to the dealer to get the oil changed before the trip (I already had 2,400 miles on the bike and knew i would put about 1,600 on it over the course of the week). I desided to run a different type of oil that I haven't used before based on the recommendation of one of the techs there. If I remember correctly, they used Moto X or something like that. Real high dollar stuff, but I figured why not try it. I had used Amsoil in my TL1000R and don't like the way the clutch feels on it.
Back to the trip though, once I left Birmingham, I got stuck in traffic on my way to Atlanta for close to 2 hours moving at about 5 mph. So I ended up filling up somewhere near Douglasville, GA at around 150 miles or so which is typical to the mileage that I fill up at. Traffic wasn't too bad going through Atlanta and heading up I-85 towards Charlotte. I averaged between 85 and 100 (according to my speedometer) for most of the trip. This time I got 170 miles on that tank and I believe that averaged out to around 44 miles to the gallon. Next tank I desided to see how good of gas mileage I could get so I stayed tucked the entire time. This stretch ended up being a little hard on the shoulders near the end but I did end up getting 48.25 miles to the gallon on that leg. Not too shabby, but definently not worth the pain involved later on in the week.
To cut a long story short, the bike performed flawlessly after that and averaged around 42 - 44 mpg on the highway. By the time I made it to South Carolina from Raleigh, I snatched the helment off and enjoyed riding around without a helment during my stay. I found it quite enjoyable and personally I felt safer without a helment on while I was there. I know that might strike up some opinions but this one is mine.
I made it back to Birmingham Sunday with a hair over 4000 miles on the bike and its time to get the oil changed again if I can ever find my way back down to the dealership. Who knows, if I can find the time, maybe I'll just change it myself.
To sum everything up, I believe this has got to be one of the best bikes out there period. I never got too uncomfortable and never had to question the reliablility of the bike. Powerful and comfortable, what more can you ask for. And when I was in Myrtle, I only saw one other '08 Busa on the road. I know its a popular bike, but so far I've seen a total of 4 other '08 Busa on the road. I wonder where they are all at?

By the time I made it to South Carolina from Raleigh, I snatched the helment off and enjoyed riding around without a helment during my stay.  I found it quite enjoyable and personally I felt safer without a helment on while I was there.  I know that might strike up some opinions but this one is mine.

I know its a popular bike, but so far I've seen a total of 4 other '08 Busa on the road.  I wonder where they are all at?
Not gonna flame you for the helmet comment too much. Your name somehow seems fitting now though...
banghead.gif

And you wondered where the others are? They are out helmet shopping...
laugh.gif

Other then the helmet comment, great story and thanks for sharing. Where are the pics???
rulez8bn.gif

Glad you had a great ride an presumably enjoyed Bike week. I agree the thought of riding with the wind blowing through your hair
whistling.gif
sounds great right up until the point where you lose it and wish you had it. Have lived in states with no helmet laws and always worn mine. Just believe you have to plan for the unexpected.

Cruising Bike Week at Myrtle almost requires you to remove your helmet. The traffic moving on the strip is at a snail's pace. It's hot.

Once you are back in normal traffic I would put the helmet back on again though. I just feel uncomfortable without the ol shell on my head.

welcome.gif
to the board. Got any pictures? Myrtle Beach is always an interesting show, I'd like to go sometime. I'd probably rather watch from the shade of the sidewalk or a street side pub, drink a beer or several and let everyone else fry in the sun.
beerchug.gif

After paying $150 for a service at the stealership...they had better clean and oil my chain for me. On my TLR...I would spray WD-40 on it every so often and only had to replace it after 10k mainly b/c the rear sprocket was wore out. Unfortantly I forgot my camera for the trip, mainly b/c after sitting at the dealership for 3 hours, I was ready to get on the road and completely forgot to pack it. Besides, unless your a big fan of black and chrome...not much else to see other than a small hand full of other sport bikes. 2 days in Myrtle really isn't long enough to get to see or do everything you want to.
As for the helment...crawling at a 1/2 mile an hour does get very hot very quick. When I am wearing a helment (as opposed to not wearing one), I tend to get the "invincible" feeling as opposed to the reality check of not wearing one. Whatever thats worth.

Back