08 Model or older.....

Nobby

Registered
Hi guys....slightly odd topic for this thread - but dunno where else to put it so here goes.

Based in the UK where prices are generally quite high. With 10 years of the old model and the new 08's in our showrooms I have finally decided to bite the bullet and get a hayabusa having avoided them for all of their current life!

So i've been riding 26 years ..........with the formative years being on all manner of bikes including what passed for out and out sports bikes. Then a break (kids) then back onto beemers and harleys. But I miss the safe quick overtakes, the protection form the elements etc. I work at a test track but ironically it is such a busmans holiday for me I have no interest in the top speed, suping it up or doing track days. More the comfortable riding position(?) roll on roll off power and yes - the looks of the thing. It is fantastic to look at.

So what is the point of this.......well I would value others opinions on whether to hold out and spend the extra on a new 08 or buy an older but good value for money model. From what I learn of the improvements for my needs the new bike wont show me much difference for the money - but will the value of the older ones disappear through the floor like say the BMW 1200 RT killing the residuals on the 1150 Rt's almost overnight as everyone upgraded!!!!

Sorry if this is a really dull post but any thoughts would be valued! Thanks in anticipation..........Nobby

I would think that the value of the "gen 1" busa would go down a bit with the new 08 out... but like anything else, in the future, the value would probably increase.
lurk.gif

Oh and welcome to the board!
beerchug.gif

Hi guys....slightly odd topic for this thread - but dunno where else to put it so here goes.

Based in the UK where prices are generally quite high. With 10 years of the old model and the new 08's in our showrooms I have finally decided to bite the bullet and get a hayabusa having avoided them for all of their current life!

So i've been riding 26 years ..........with the formative years being on all manner of bikes including what passed for out and out sports bikes. Then a break (kids) then back onto beemers and harleys. But I miss the safe quick overtakes, the protection form the elements etc. I work at a test track but ironically it is such a busmans holiday for me I have no interest in the top speed, suping it up or doing track days. More the comfortable riding position(?) roll on roll off power and yes - the looks of the thing. It is fantastic to look at.

So what is the point of this.......well I would value others opinions on whether to hold out and spend the extra on a new 08 or buy an older but good value for money model. From what I learn of the improvements for my needs the new bike wont show me much difference for the money - but will the value of the older ones disappear through the floor like say the BMW 1200 RT killing the residuals on the 1150 Rt's almost overnight as everyone upgraded!!!!

Sorry if this is a really dull post but any thoughts would be valued! Thanks in anticipation..........Nobby
Get a first gen.....a low mileage used one can be had cheap, and they're faster than hell. It doesn't sound like the extra expense of an 08 would be worth it for you
winkold.gif

Welcome and good luck with the decision! It can be a tough one.

Thanks you guys......the debate rages on!!! Looking at both option still so please keep your opinions coming. Watching several used ones on ebay but the new one still beckons at the dealer 2 miles away!!!

Doh!

Well guys....hedged my bets. Managed to get an 03 bike in all black which I really wanted. Great price and then will upgrade to the 08 next year if the urge takes me.

Thanks for your comments though. Get the bike on Saturday.....can't wait!!

Cheers

Nobby

At the very least, you now have a bike that is proven and tested and known. Very little is going to go wrong with it and if it does, all the mechs here already know about it and can help you with it.

You did no wrong!

--Wag--

Simply put why purchase 10 year old technology when the future of motorcycling is here today.

I would have jumped straight into the 08 because when you start liking the raw power and top speed, you will start considering mods, and the 08 is like a gen1 fairly modded for more power, handling and braking - the mods for the gen1 to behave like the new 08 will take you a good few thousand dollars... not sure how much in UK's currency.

And believe me my friend, you WILL wish more once you learn there is more to take from this already awesome bike.

Good luck with your 03... it could be launched today and it would still kick every other bike's ass except for a very few.

Hey guys...I know there will always be two sides to this fence.....dropped down on one side to hedge (....groan...!) my bets!!

Pick it up Saturday morning...!!!
bowdown.gif

Well....finally got the 03......wow....great bike. Everybody on here was right to a greater or lesser extent. Love it but it has crap brakes and I've come off HD's!!!!!!!

Still cant get the grin off my face!!!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Back