06le electrical problem

HRJR

Donating Member
Registered
Had a productive day in work today.  As I was walking to the parking garage to get on my bike I was thinking, "this is a nice day for a ride".  Well, I put the key in the ignition, turn it from "lock" to "on", turn on the engine stop switch, squeeze the clutch, put the bike in neutral, and I'm about to press the starter when I notice that my gauge cluster readouts didn't appear.  The displays lit up slightly and looked gray.  No CHEC etc.  The needles didn't wake up either.  WTF?  So, I turn off the ignition.  Start the process all over again (kinda like a PC reboot
smile.gif
).  Nothing.  I'm thinking, my battery can't be dead I just bought this bike in February.  Okay brain, what might have caused this.  Well, I installed a GIPro two weeks ago.  Maybe something happened to it that would cause a severe drain on the battery.  Maybe.  Maybe my charging system has a problem.  Not likely, since the bike started perfectly this morning when I was getting ready for work (I live only 12 miles from my workplace).  There has been no indication of my battery losing charge.  Maybe the connections to the battery got loose.  Maybe.  Anyways, I take off my gear, remove the rear cowl, break out the tools (hey, I get to use the Suzuki tools!  
tounge.gif
 ) and start removing parts of my bike.  First, I disconnected the GIPro.  Tryed to start it. Nope.  Same result.  Okay.  Next I checked the battery terminals.  The positive was mostly tight but it did tighten down a little more when I cranked on it.  The positive terminal had a power lead from the GIPro attached to it.  Okay, maybe it came a little loose.  Tried to start her again.  Same.  No go.  Okay, punt time.  So, I call the wife for a ride home.  While waiting for her I pull the battery (hey, these Suzuki tools really do work!
smile.gif
).  I go home and check the battery.  6.8 volts.  Hmm, that's not too good.  Okay, let's break out the battery charger and get that puppy juiced up.  What?  The battery charger is broke.  Okay, run the the auto parts store and buy a new one.  Get back home and put her on the charger.  The battery is charging now as I write this.  I want to get it in the bike so I can ride the bike home to continue the work on it.

Here are the facts:

1) Bike started perfectly this morning (It has always started perfectly).
2) A GIPro combo Gear indicator/ATRE was installed a few weeks ago.  It has run perfectly since installation.
3) The bike showed little if any charge when I turned it on this afternoon when I was about to ride home from work.
4) At home, the battery showed only 6.8 volts when checked by a VOM (outside of the bike).
5) The positive terminal connection was ever so slightly loose.

I'm looking for some suggestions.  I do have the manual (a real one!
smile.gif
 ) and I will be checking the electrical system for problems.  If it is a current leak caused by the GIPro I should be able to find it (I hope).  If anyone has any other ideas of what could have caused this I am all ears.

I'll be leaving shortly to bring my (hopefully charged enough) battery to my powerless bike.  I'll check back later tonight for words of wisdom from any of you kind enough to post a reply.

Wish me luck getting home.

smile.gif

smile.gif

Dude, I hate to admit it but I had the same problem, realized that I turned the key a little past lock to the "P" position, drained the battery dead... put a charge on it, made sure never to do that again and no prob since.

Just FYI, I have the GIpro and PC111 installed to, no issues with those at all...

Dude, I hate to admit it but I had the same problem, realized that I turned the key a little past lock to the "P" position, drained the battery dead... put a charge on it, made sure never to do that again and no prob since.

Just FYI, I have the GIpro and PC111 installed to, no issues with those at all...
Holy poop!  Am I that much of a dope?! No comments from the peanut gallery!!! (no offense to you either - thanks  
beerchug.gif
)  

I hope it is as simple as that.

Never thought of that and honestly didn't notice the key position when I left the bike this morning or when I tried to start it this afternoon.

Thanks for the prompt, reasonable, and painfully obvious (to me now) response.

I hope I am that stupid.  (Did I really say that?) It will save me some time and effort.

Well, the battery shows 13 volts. Time to make the donuts. Back in an hour.

I turned it to park once also and killed my battery

<!--EDIT|atticdog
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152927734 -->

Holy poop!  Am I that much of a dope?! No comments from the peanut gallery!!! (no offense to you either - thanks  
beerchug.gif
)  

I hope it is as simple as that.

Never thought of that and honestly didn't notice the key position when I left the bike this morning or when I tried to start it this afternoon.

Thanks for the prompt, reasonable, and painfully obvious (to me now) response.

I hope I am that stupid.  (Did I really say that?) It will save me some time and effort.
No prob, hated to admt it but did not want you to go through all the headache I did searching for a solution when another board member showed me the light as I did you... good luck..
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Well, I'm back.  Reinstalled the battery.  She fired right up like nothing had happend (except she can't tell time anymore
tounge.gif
 ).  Rode her home.  Yeah, she drives nice.

It looks like I messed up and left it in Park.  I suck.

I will check her over anyways tomorrow just to be sure.

Thanks Jtonda (and atticdog)!  
beerchug.gif

I was thinking the samething.

Back