Battery dead

NCpanther01

Registered
Trying to trouble shoot a major problem. I was having a hard time starting the bike when HOT! I can ride for awhile. If I stop and re-start it won't start!!! So I changed my stock battery for a bigger one 235CCA. Thought this would fix the probelm. Went for another long ride. Stop a few time no problem. On the third stop it died again! I had to roll it into 2nd gear with a push for my friends to get home. Now the only thing connected to the battery was my GIpro and I say was. After reading other threads I disconnected the GIpro. Now after placing the bike on a tender all day, while receiving a green light that everything was fine. I disconnected the bike to start it and no start AGAIN!!! Now I can jump start the bike, but something is draining the battery badily!!!!! Busa family chime in ASAP!!!!! I just wanta ride...NCpanther01.//

the battery is dead after having the charger connected all day?

I would say battery but you said you replaced the battery, 2 dead batteries in a row is pretty unlikely and so I would look at a couple things.

When you try to crank the bike, does the starter even try to engage? or is it just DOA?

The charger: is it really charging? if it is, I think batteries are not the issue, run a voltmeter across the terminals when you try to crank the bike. Try this from the cable ends AND the battery terminals themselves (a test light will suffice)

Cables..
very good suspect here, heat builds resistance and say a dirty ground cable could very well cause this issue.. (pull them and look at them on both ends) Look for any corrosion or oxidation (white or black) The fact that you can "jump" the bike would make me look closer at the battery side

If these checkout, you could have a second bad battery, let the store test the thing

the battery is dead after having the charger connected all day?  

I would say battery but you said you replaced the battery, 2 dead batteries in a row is pretty unlikely and so I would look at a couple things.

When you try to crank the bike, does the starter even try to engage? or is it just DOA?

The charger:  is it really charging? if it is, I think batteries are not the issue, run a voltmeter across the terminals when you try to crank the bike.  Try this from the cable ends AND the battery terminals themselves (a test light will suffice)

Cables..
very good suspect here, heat builds resistance and say a dirty ground cable could very well cause this issue.. (pull them and look at them on both ends) Look for any corrosion or oxidation (white or black) The fact that you can "jump" the bike would make me look closer at the battery side

If these checkout, you could have a second bad battery, let the store test the thing
Mr Bogus, I tried to get a reading...nothing! I think I need to wait for a full charged battery!

it could be a starter, but you need to do a bit of diagnosis to determine that..

25 years in the repair business, you come across a lot of people that put a lot of parts on without ever checking the basics... do check the items above at least before you go buy a starter...

it could be a starter, but you need to do a bit of diagnosis to determine that..  

25 years in the repair business, you come across a lot of people that put a lot of parts on without ever checking the basics... do check the items above at least before you go buy a starter...
Roger that! I'm waiting for a charge!

I've got green light on my truck battery, but when I took it in it was dead as a door nail. False Positive

These problems are not usually very hard to find or diagnose but you have to do it methodically. You start at point A and work your way across the system from the battery out..

A tender typically is between .7 and 1.25 amps. They are not really designed to 'charge' a dead battery. If the bike starts with a jump, I am going to shy away from the starter until I check a few other things. It starts with a jump "normally" eliminates the starter, starter relay, ignition switch and just about everything else related to the starter.

I would be suspect of the battery/charging system

The battery should go on a regular "bike" battery charger for an hour or so (around 2amp charge rate max to keep the battery from burning up).
If the battery takes a charge (should read less than 14.7 volts during charge if battery is not sulfated) Make sure the battery maintains 12.5 volts after the charger is taken off (should stay there after an hour or so off the charger)

This is just to get past the battery first:

a volt meter is pretty helpful here, connect one lead to battery ground and another to engine ground and hit starter.. should remain 0.. any reading at all is going to indicate a grounding issue (an ultra sensitive test light will glow)

If the reading is 0, leave lead on chassis and go to battery positive and hit starter again.. minimum reading is going to be 10.5V (with engine cranking) if the engine does not crank and the reading are correct you can start digging a bit deeper.

if you get this far, then we can start to look at the starter as a possible issue (more tests and I can tell you how if you get to this point)

double posted sorry...

anyway as soon as you can verify that the battery is good and the cables are not an issue (sounds like Rockadaous already looked at them) you can check the next items...

If the battery is in fact dead and needs charged, I am going to start leaning towards a charging system issue.

A bad rectifier bridge will kill a battery overnight (diode goes bad and current starts passing through the wrong way)

double posted sorry...

anyway as soon as you can verify that the battery is good and the cables are not an issue (sounds like Rockadaous already looked at them) you can check the next items...

If the battery is in fact dead and needs charged, I am going to start leaning towards a charging system issue.

A bad rectifier bridge will kill a battery overnight (diode goes bad and current starts passing through the wrong way)
Ok, had it on a tender all night. Took it off to start and nothing again! I'm going to take the battery to auto advance to check charge level!

good move.. if the battery is dead, you will probably find out you have a charging system out of tilt... back to diagnosis mode... you may want to pick up a small trickle charger while you are at parts store (designed for MC battery)

Back