Dead battery?

Just thinking, is there any chance of the rectifier going bad? Seems, that if the rectifier wasn't working, on the short trips, the battery wouldn't drain as much - -
On the longer trips, the battery isn't recharging... am I way off base here?

new 05 with 3500 miles rode two hours sat in traffic for half hour on 85 degree day shut bike off only to end up with dead battery scenario but was able to get a push from a harley rider
firedevil.gif

(MC MUSTANG @ Sep. 21 2006,18:51) Just thinking, is there any chance of the rectifier going bad?  Seems, that if the rectifier wasn't working, on the short trips, the battery wouldn't drain as much - -
On the longer trips, the battery isn't recharging...  am I way off base here?
It's easy enough to check if the charging system is producing adequate charging voltage.

Once the engine is running, put a voltmeter across the battery terminals and measure the voltage. Typically, and dependent upon the battery's state of charge, over all health, and engine RPM, you should read anywhere between 13.8 to 14.4 volts with some fluctuation.

If it primarily produces less than 13.5 volts, there is an issue with the charging system.

If it doesn't produce adequate charging voltage, the first thing I would check is the connector to the rectifier, as it has been known to be a source of problems in the past. It either develops oxidized contacts and begins making poor electrical contact or one of the wires has possibly pushed out the rear of the connector. It's located under the rear tail section, so the tail section must be removed to access the rectifier and its connector.

Here's a pic for anyone interested and yes, that is another OEM YT12A-BS battery (wired in parallel with positive post disconnected at the time) mounted in the tail section. Click on image to enlarge...

Here’s a better shot of the 2nd OEM YT12A-BS battery in the tail section for those who might be interested. Click on image to enlarge…

Heh, looks like I'm not alone. Ordered teh battery tender this afternoon after I researched on moto batteries needing a trickle charge during down time.

(psycobusa @ Apr. 16 2006,20:40) got mine from autozone for 50 bucks...no problems:p
You know the number on it? I called autozone here today and they said they dont have one that will work with mine. Same thing all other car parts stores said.

2002 I got the same prob?
rock.gif
? Ride 45 miles get her hot..... stop for a bit, go back and fire her up - she turns real slow but she dose fire. That is a scary part with the backpressure and starter clutch frag thing I read about. Or if I just let her cool off for 45 min to 1 hr. she fires up like brand new?

Drives me nuts.
SHOCKED.gif

My 04 has a similar problem. I'm convinced the engine is detonating and kicking back on the starter. The bike can be left for weeks and the engine will crank quickly and the bike starts no problem. Once the engine gets hot, the problem occurs.

I am going to get a new battery and add a relay to kill the headlight during starting like the 05/06 models. I may stop using 87 octane too. I'm worrried about damaging my starter.

I have the same problem now with my 2003. A place called "Ricks" online will do a rebuild of your stator for $120 with core and say it will have at least 30% greater out put. I changed my head light and added two led's and thats all it took to overwelm my system. I did get another batt. but won't install in until I get my stator back.

Back