Dead battery?

05BusaLe

Too much time to kill and money to spend
Donating Member
Registered
Heres my problem, I take my 2005 busa for short rides (less then 2 miles) and shut off engine come back 15 mins later and bike starts right up. Now if I go 10 miles + and shut off engine come back 15 mins later and the bike wont turn over, the starter engages but it just goes thud and the gauges rest (like a dead battery?) If I jump it with a booster pack or have a nice down hill run to pop the clutch it starts right up. I took it to my dealer that sold it to me and before they look at it they are trying to sell me a new battery (my bike is only 5 mo old) the dealer states that Suzuki does not warr batteries?
Now heres the best part the above dont happen all the time if I take the battery out and bang it the bike will start or if I just leave the bike sit for 2-3 hours it starts. Me thinks there is something loose in the battery (plate?) While at the dealer they tell me that my stock battery is a 12 something, and that there is an upgrade to a 14 something does any body know what upgrade they are talking about and where I can get the best battery from (I would like if Optima made cycle batteries)
Has any one else had a problem with their stock battery?
L8r,
David

Won't warranty the battery? This sucks. Does the warranty cover anything?
I'd get the battery checked on a load tester.

First - batteries aren't that expensive and why hassle with it - replace it and your problems are probably over.

The buy a Battery Tender and keep your battery at full charge - your bike will always fire right up and it will also last longer if you keep it on a tender - they have a "float" mode so they won't over charge and if you install a quick connector it just takes a second to hook up and disconnect.

Good Luck

I plug in the battery tender after every ride when I put the bike away for the night, I will buy a new battery when I find out from others what the best is, the dealer said that the 14 something (dont remember the letters) is a direct replacement (size) but has more power and they wanted $140.00 for it is that a good price? I only paid $120 for my optima in my truck!

I plug in the battery tender after every ride when I put the bike away for the night, I will buy a new battery when I find out from others what the best is, the dealer said that the 14 something (dont remember the letters) is a direct replacement (size) but has more power and they wanted $140.00 for it is that a good price? I only paid $120 for my optima in my truck!
I would be mad enough about the warranty that I would NEVER go to that Dealer again for anything. That sounds steep for a batt.
sad.gif

Check with / PM GoldenChild at Cloud 9 motorsports - he is a dealer and a board memeber and should be able to give you some input

+1 on the battery tender. Have you done any electrical work, adding mods or anything? You may be leaking blinker fluid somewhere if you don't have good connections ...
Also, check your battery leads to ensure that they are not loose.

Get it checked under load...And checked for charging...

Sounds like either a bad battery or you have a short in your electrical system
rock.gif

I had a car that used to do that, the problem was that when the battery became hot, it could not crank the engine, but once it cooled it would turn over no problem.

Have the same problem on my 2000 busa, had battery checked out under load and everything. What it came out to be was the starter, when the starter is hot it pulls to much amp`s to start, and thats whats causing the dead battery effect. If you just bump the starter button once, then hit it again to start, It will start. Now i`m in the hunt for another starter.

My 04 had the same problem!!! The dealer wouldn't warrenty the battery either,,Called Suzuki they told me that the battery was not covered after 30 day! So i sucked it up and bought another battery and haven't had that problem again!
However now that i have a bigbore i need to upgrade to a 24v starting system.???
rock.gif

Its backwards short rides are harder on the battery than long if your system is working correctly, something is wrong check the generator coil, this is what takes the load away from your battery, there is test process in the shop manul on pages 7-9, follow them.

The battery your dealer is referring to is probably a Yuasa YTZ14S. You can do a search on the board. There are a number of discussions as to what battery everyone is running.

i've built batteries for aircraft in the air force and from what you have said about yours... its sounds like you need a new battery... and yea.. motorcycle batteries are expensive!

I just experienced the same thing today, I just got my new leftover '05 LE delivered to me last week, I haven't had a chance to ride it untill today, I rode it about 35 mins, shut it off, and it would restart, I had to push start it. I then parked it for a few hours, got on it, and it started right up, then rode home, shut it off, and it would not start again.
Now I wonder, The bill of sale for my bike shows its only a few weeks old, but the dealer I bought it from said they have had it since June of last year.
But the warrenty should be from when I bought it..
I'll be calling my local dealer tomorow

I have an o6 and got a little gaget from kasin that monitors the charging circuit. Has an led that glows red to green, green being the system is charging positive. You can tape into any circuit I put it behind the front ahd have the led sticking out over the dash. I installed a fan switch to have it on all the time and guess what? With the fan on the lite doesn't go green until about 5000 or 6000. Look at the specs and it says the alternator doesn't reach max volts until 5200 or max charging. So I guess the system always losing volts. Put the battery tender on
smile.gif
the it always wants to charge.
smile.gif

smile.gif

(05BusaLe @ Apr. 13 2006,11:36) I plug in the battery tender after every ride when I put the bike away for the night, I will buy a new battery when I find out from others what the best is, the dealer said that the 14 something (dont remember the letters) is a direct replacement (size) but has more power and they wanted $140.00 for it is that a good price? I only paid $120 for my optima in my truck!
I HIGHLY recommend you do NOT opt for the YTZ14S battery. This AGM-type battery has a particularly high failure rate from new and they generally provide shorter service life than the OEM even if you are lucky enough to have received one of the better YTZ14S batteries.

YTZ14S batteries go bad just sitting in stock because AGM-type batteries must have their electrolyte added when the battery is being manufactured, as it is a completely sealed unit, unlike the OEM Battery which doesn't have its electrolyte added until the customer receives the battery and fills it themselves, then fully charges it.

$140.00 is WAY TOO HIGH for the YTZ14S battery. Charles from StreetnTrack sent me one to my door this past March for $88.00. Unfortunately, that YTZ14S battery lived up to the usual high failure rate and was worthless from the time I received it (which wasn't Charles fault however).

Go for a new YT12A-BS OEM battery. They're $61.67 at parts411.com or maybe Charles can compete with that price. Click the link below...

http://www.parts411.com/acb....7&DID=9

I had a similar problem when i replaced my knackered starter with a second hand one...at first when cold it would start but seemed to turn slower than normal, however after a long ride it wouldn't turnover at all. I knew my battery was ok so i stripped the bike and took the starter apart to discover that the magnets in the casing had come away from the sides and where spinning with the rest of the starter when it heated up because the glue that held them had let go. Luckily my old starter was ok that way so i rebuilt the starter with the best of both starters. Now mine works perfectly every time regarless how hot she gets but i'm planning to put heat sheilding around the starter to safe guard for the future.

Back