Need help with battery

roland5color

Registered
The battery on my busa keeps going dead. I just got the bike and it is a 06 with 2900 miles so I am guessing that the battery didn't get much use the last few years. If I put it on the battery tender it shows fully charged after about 20 minutes. The bike starts fine if I just start it in the garage a few times in a row. If I take the bike out for a decent ride when I get home the battery will barely turn the engine over a few times then stop. Only thing is all the lights seem to be good and bright and like I said when I put it back on the battery tender it is good to go again in about 20 minutes.

Never really had any problems with batteries before. So this is new to me. Usually the thing just goes bad and that is it but this one is making me wonder if the problem may be a loose ground on the bike or maybe a faulty charging system. If the system was bad wouldn't the bike stop running once the battery was dead? Could it be that I have one or two bad cells in the battery and it doesnt have enough amps to turn the motor over once it gets used a few times but has enough volts to power the lights? I was just hoping that maybe a member had a similar problem and could save me from hours of work with a mulitmeter or from buying a new battery that I dont need. I have checked the battery terminals and they are clean and tight. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
might as well get another one...prolly not holding the charge anymore.

if the bike is an 06 and thats the original battery you need a new one anyway

There are a couple of things you should try before you buy another battery... First is a battery leak test. You do this by disconnecting the negative side of the battery and placing a multi-tester (set on milliamps) between the negative post of the battery and the lead. Do not turn the ignition switch on as this will damage your tester. The current flow through the tester should be less than 3mA. If its higher, you will need to check for the source of the drain. If it lower than 3mA, then you can move on to check the rectifier circuit and stator.

If you do end up buying new, Yuasu makes a battery (Yuasa Battery YTZ14S) that is an upgrade from the stock battery, with 230 cca. I'm running a 1402cc, with 62 lb injectors and it spins the motor even when its hot.

Good luck!

Have you charged the battery on a charger other than the battery tender?

Battery tender is not designed to charge a dead battery. I have an 06 with the stock battery, I've keep the tender on it from day one.

A fully charged battery will not freeze during the winter, a dead battery will freeze solid and damage the plates.

Back