Battery dead

I am not sure how parts are sold for the charging system (sorry, expertise is in automotive diagnostics) but there are going to be some brushes, and other parts that need eyeballed... with cars, if one item is tired, most of the others usually are too and we replace the entire unit. I am sure that there are a few with exp on these bikes here
beerchug.gif

what I did find is on these bikes, it appears the rectifier assy is on the left side of the bike in the rear sidepod.. Parts Fiche

when you reconnect the battery, do you see a small spark? or put a test light in series with the cable, if the light comes on, there is a draw..

unplug the rectifier assy and see if the light goes out... if it does, you will probably need a new assy ($140 new but used may be an option)

one caveat is that a single diode failure will not usually keep the battery from charging, it will just drain the battery over night. Still need to verify system voltage with bike running.. (12.7-13.5 is pretty normal)

Hey got my battery back and it was only pushing 45CCA. So I'm going to take the battery back, hopefully they'll give a replacement. Then I 'll look at the reciter...NCpanther01.//

I'd also have the stator coils checked. they can rebuild stators. Resse knows the joint that rebuilds em

there was a used rectifier bridge in the "for sale" threads yesterday too ($40) Before you take too much apart, get a voltmeter and see what is going on with the engine running... need volts at idle and about 2500 rpm (looking for at least 13.5)

Mr Bogus, roger that! I'm going buy another battery and then I'll be able to check. Any idea on receiter prices? Does the receiter act like an alternater?

Roc, ok and thanks! I need my bike back up and running...Jam.//

Rectifier can be had for 40-60 bucks used.... there are a couple on the board here now for sale, I just bought some pieces from one of the guys, will post link if I can find it

Rectifier does a couple things...

the alternator creates A/C voltage (you can run a 120V appliance off a car, Caddy had a model with an AC outlet)

The rectifier bridge contains 3 pairs of diodes that convert the AC voltage to DC voltage.

It is most likely that the assy also contains the voltage regulator as well. Pretty simple in form and function but not sure what all else Suzuki may have incorporated with the unit. Otherwise you could technically use the guts out of a GM integral alternator and make your own..

A rectifier is an electrical device that converts alternating current to direct current, a process known as rectification. Rectifiers are used as components of power supplies and as detectors of radio signals. Rectifiers may be made of solid state diodes, vacuum tube diodes, mercury arc valves, and other components.

A circuit which performs the opposite function (converting DC to AC) is known as an inverter.

When only one diode is used to rectify AC (by blocking the negative or positive portion of the waveform), the difference between the term diode and the term rectifier is merely one of usage, i.e., the term rectifier describes a diode that is being used to convert AC to DC. Almost all rectifiers comprise a number of diodes in a specific arrangement for more efficiently converting AC to DC than is possible with only one diode. Before the development of silicon semiconductor rectifiers, vacuum tube diodes and copper(I) oxide or selenium rectifier stacks were used.

Early radio receivers, called crystal radios, used a "cat's whisker" of fine wire pressing on a crystal of galena (lead sulfide) to serve as a point-contact rectifier or "crystal detector". In gas heating systems flame rectification can be used to detect a flame. Two metal electrodes in the outer layer of the flame provide a current path and rectification of an applied alternating voltage, but only while the flame is present.

Back