Battery problem. Drains while bike is off. Charges fine while bike is on.

Leichardti

Registered
Just picked up my busa less then a week ago. Battery was too low to start the bike, charge it up and started up just fine.
Next morning battery is low again.
Privious owner said he replaced battery not to long ago and should def be good still. Has car charger and trickle charger connected to battery (looks correct).
Battery will charge up to 13.47~
While running voltage is around 14.40~
When bike and ignition is off, I think it drains around 0.15 an hour or something around that.
Then is still current passing thru the system when i disconnect the negative terminate on battery and check with a mutlimeter.

The charging system seems to be working fine. Battery should still be in good shape and charges fully off tended (i may switch batteries with a buddy to be sure).
Im know my gsxr 750 wiring inside and out but not to sure where the busa could be sucking energry from.

Any ideas or things i should start checking first?
Thank you for your time.
IMAG0404.jpg

no alarm installed I take it , it sounds like the battery just isn't holding a charge. The only thing that runs on the busa is the clock

No alarm. Im going to take it out the bike, charge it up, check voltage and then come back in hour and check voltage.

unless someone hillbilly wired something else my guess is it has to be the battery

No alarm. Im going to take it out the bike, charge it up, check voltage and then come back in hour and check voltage.

May I suggest one more thing: take the battery to your local auto parts store to get it LOAD-TESTED. Best of luck.

You seem to be doing the right things.

The OEM batteries can last both a very long time and a very short time.

If kept fully charged, they last a long time.

If they lose their charge for a while, or if they are run down and then re-charged much beyond 1 amp, they kick the bucket fairly fast.

If you fully charge the battery and leave it disconnected, it should hold 12.7 V the next day. If it is closer to 12.5 V, it has seen better days.

No Gipro. The past two mornings I believe it was around 12.50

Went from 13.33 to 13.20 in 30 min. going to check again in another hour or two. Dont think its holding a charge.
Any recommendations besides stock battery?

If the battery isn't that old, it may just be sulfated. You can get a charger with a desulfating setting that would bring it back to life. Even if you get a lead acid type batter in the future, a desulfating function will extend the life of that battery.

Or, you can and take a look at the Lithium batteries like the Shorai and Ballistic EVO2. These batteries are not cheap but they weigh a lot less, are smaller and typically have more cold cranking amps than an equivalent lead acid battery.

I just recently replaced my AGM type lead acid battery with the Ballistic EVO2. It's an amazing battery.

One thing I have found, my cells kept going dry. You have good voltage but no cranking amps. Pull the battery and open the top, see if the cells are full of water. If not, replace it. If the cells are full, have it load tested. I had two batteries to this to me and I would bet a dollar that is your issue.

When bike and ignition is off, I think it drains around 0.15 an hour or something around that.
Then is still current passing thru the system when i disconnect the negative terminate on battery and check with a mutlimeter.

Sounds like there is a key off drain going on here. You are disconnecting negative battery terminal, connecting meter in between, set to read amps, correct? What reading are you getting? Almost any current passing at all will be enough to give you issues.

Disconnected negative terminal and connected meter between terminal and negative cable. 0.7-0.9 ma.
I also added some h20 to the battery, it was a little low.

If you've recently added anything, disconnect it and see what happens, otherwise there is a free download manual and the drain test is extremely easy to do. Oh, and make sure you're not turning the key all the way left bc you'll be turning on the park light ......

Back