02 Busa stock dyno

dm_gsxr

Weirdo Freak
Donating Member
Registered
I had to get a new front tire so I headed down, in the chilly drizzle and picked up a new Metzler Z6. I've taken the bike over to Mountain Thunder to get tires mounted before so again, I called to verify an opening and headed over.

On the Dyno was a 99 'busa all set up for racing. Extended swingarm, modified clutch (locking clutch? he had to weld on an extension to his clutch plate housing to hold the new clutch plates. He says the plates last all season now instead of barely one day.), air assisted shifter (switch to change the horn into the shifter).

So I hung out after the tire was done to watch.

He got 197 Max Power and 109 (I think; might not remember correctly) Max Torque. He was using a fuel mixture (he said it was 50/50 but that most folks who drag use 100%) which had a very interesting smell
smile.gif
. He said this was his second engine. He'd been using his first all summer and was getting a baseline before making adjustments (the power commander was set for the other engine). He also said he got 207 Max Power with the other engine. Oh, and this one is 1397cc.

Ok, just so you know, I'm not really into numbers and stuff. I was curious so I hung around to watch and talked to the guy. I tried to remember what he said but my memory's going too
smile.gif

Anyway, after he was done, I asked if they'd dyno mine. 02 Stock, nothing added, no power commander, nothing.

After he was done with 6 runs, he printed out the dyno and handed it over. They all thought it was a pretty good set of numbers but as I said, I wouldn't know good from bad
smile.gif

143.03 Max Power, 90.63 Max Torque.
Run conditions: 66.50F temp, 24.79 in-Hg. Humidity: 33%, SAE: 1.21

busa-dynox600.jpg

Carl

Edit: Oh, he said it was official, the drag 'busa was the fastest bike they'd dyno'd. And he said that they'd dyno'd a new ZX10 and the power was 146.

<!--EDIT|dm_gsxr
Reason for Edit: None given...|1130621423 -->

smile.gif

smile.gif

I hate dynos because the ram air doesnt work how it should under real street cons. I bet if there was some way to force air in the the ducks at the speed the bike is reading, the HP would be higher.

Those #'s aren't to bad for Sae #'s a little low to some but it is what it is,they would change if it were reading standard #'s..According to your A/F,If you had a pc you could add a little fuel from 6k to redline and gain some more power if you wanted.The header is very restrictive and is holding it back alot.Ram air would be nice but would decrease hp more cause it would just lean the fuel out more.I've seen alot of people get that misconception,a dyno run is just that a measurement of hp and torque nothing more.you either have a dyno queen or a street king...

<!--EDIT|GoldenChild
Reason for Edit: None given...|1130622295 -->

I hate dynos because the ram air doesnt work how it should under real street cons. I bet if there was some way to force air in the the ducks at the speed the bike is reading, the HP would be higher.
I don't know about that. They had two pretty high speed fans (very noisy) pointed at the front of the bike. The other guy had two plastic, well sleeves or tubes, sticking out out from where the air intakes are on his bike (just fyi).

Carl

Those #'s aren't to bad for Sae #'s a little low to some but it is what it is,they would change if it were reading standard #'s..According to your A/F,If you had a pc you could add a little fuel from 6k to redline and gain some more power if you wanted.The header is very restrictive and is holding it back alot.Ram air would be nice but would decrease hp more cause it would just lean the fuel out more.I've seen alot of people get that misconception,a dyno run is just that a measurement of hp and torque nothing more.you either have a dyno queen or a street king...
I'm hitting the web to learn what all the numbers mean (IOW, I don't know what you said
smile.gif
)

Since I'm more a sport-touring type rider, trying to add more horsepower really isn't on my todo list. I was very curious and since it looked pretty easy and I had the time and money ($35 for the baseline run), I went ahead and got it done.

He did say that he was surprised by that it was lean. He said it felt like it'd be in the other direction.

It's running fine for me right now
smile.gif
Curiosity satisfied.

Carl

smile.gif

Back