Gen II dyno number

Haha, the humidity where I am is average of 5-10 percent. I'm in the high desert about 3000ft up. It's 110 today and can go up to 115. It's like putting a hair dryer in your face and breathing:shocked:. You think it's bad here, in the low desert, like Death Valley, :fire:it gets hotter with I'm sure 2-5 percent humidity. The biggest difference is there is very little drip sweating because the human body cooling system actually works right in low humidity. A swamp cooler or evaporative cooler works wonders here dropping the outside temp 30deg inside and cheap to run. I run my cooler most of the summer. My electric bill is $75 even with California energy 30 percent higher than Louisiana where I'm from:thumbsup: and my living room stays 77 most of the time, love it here!! Didn't mean to hijack thread.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I found another dyno shop that is going to let me do some base pulls so I can have another baseline to go off of. I will update you guys next week when i get a chance to get it back on the dyno.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I found another dyno shop that is going to let me do some base pulls so I can have another baseline to go off of. I will update you guys next week when i get a chance to get it back on the dyno.
request SAE numbers.... that way u know the truth and have a number to go by thatll always be at or near the same.... and make sure weather conditions are printed out on the slip so that u KNOW the numbers aren't played with.

request SAE numbers.... that way u know the truth and have a number to go by thatll always be at or near the same.... and make sure weather conditions are printed out on the slip so that u KNOW the numbers aren't played with.

Thank you very much for that tip! The person who I was able to contact doesn't have a dynojet. He has a "Mustang" but said he had no issue helping me out doing a few base pulls on it and printing out the information for me.

The Mustang dyno will read a lot lower than the Dyno jet. Expect your 175 -80 hp dynojet run to be in the neighborhood of 150 on the Mustang.

I believe its a dynojet 250 dyno... reads up to 750 hp.... powerhousemc

I was actually asking S3ns4i. Now he's going to a tuner with a Mustang, so the it's apples to oranges. At least this time he should get an "as received" chart and a "post tune" chart.

again... from what I can see these are STD numbers... uncorrected...…….

I don't think the average user understands that STD numbers are an old set of standards that read about 4% higher than the current SAE. If a tuner wants to look like he gives more power than the next guy, he can correct to STD. Then your buddy's bike tuned at a shop with a printout in SAE looks like it makes less power. STD is old and unrealistic. I have no idea why performance tuners use this anymore.

For anybody who likes this stuff:

SAE -- The SAE standard applied is a modified version of the SAE J1349 standard of June 1990. Power is corrected to reference conditions of 29.23 InHg (99 kPa) of dry air and 77 F (25°C). This SAE standard requires a correction for friction torque. Friction torque can be determined by measurements on special motoring dynamometers (which is only practical in research environments) or can be estimated. When estimates must be used, the SAE standard uses a default Mechanical Efficiency (ME) value of 85%. This is approximately correct at peak torque but not at other engine operating speeds. Some dynamometer systems use the SAE correction factor for atmospheric conditions but do not take mechanical efficiency into consideration at all (i.e. they assume a ME of 100%).

STP -- The STP (also called STD) standard is another power correction standard determined by the SAE. This standard has been stable for a long time and is widely used in the performance industry. Power is corrected to reference conditions of 29.92 InHg (103.3 kPa) of dry air and 60 F (15.5°C). Because the reference conditions include higher pressure and cooler air than the SAE standard, these corrected power numbers will always be about 4 % higher than the SAE power numbers. Friction torque is handled in the same way as in the SAE standard.

They were SAE I don’t believe in STD numbers.
No base line to work with.
I owned a 250I and dunked everything on SAE
But then shops were doing STD numbers and customers couldn’t understand why mine were low
Fault advertising in my book!

Resurrecting an old thread however...I read the H2 has a 6 rwhp increase due to ram air effect.

Do other bikes with a ram air system gain hp from this as well? Specifically our Hayabusas-are our inlets ram air?

Resurrecting an old thread however...I read the H2 has a 6 rwhp increase due to ram air effect.

Do other bikes with a ram air system gain hp from this as well? Specifically our Hayabusas-are our inlets ram air?
Most tuners tune without ram air compensation on. But the only way to identify if it's doing anything would be a test at speed. I don't think a dyno room can really tell.

Most tuners tune without ram air compensation on. But the only way to identify if it's doing anything would be a test at speed. I don't think a dyno room can really tell.
So it's just a guestimate? Kawasaki advertises the ram air increase, I think they are the only one and that was the only time I saw this advertised.

I'm sure they have tested it, all I'm saying is that it's hard for the regular person to test it without a runway. Search for threads about ram air duct sealing. I think someone actually had data about the increase that is noticed above 130mph or round about speed

I'm sure they have tested it, all I'm saying is that it's hard for the regular person to test it without a runway. Search for threads about ram air duct sealing. I think someone actually had data about the increase that is noticed above 130mph or round about speed
Gotcha, the article explained it much like you did. That and the trusty search feature.

The only reason I brought it up was I was reading an article on the H2 and it was mentioned it had an increase in hp due to ram air affect.

Last edited:
Back