Picking a new gun for the boy, need opinions

I have to agree with BigBo, on a bolt action Savage in .223 Rem, or save for the AR. I have never owned a mini 14 so I cant knock it, but from what I read they arent very accurate yrmv.
I put this rifle together for about $800 and around Christmas you could buy a bushmaster or DPMS for around $600
CIMG1513.jpg

Anyone have experience with a .22 LR adapter conversion kit in your AR?

Just for plinking and teaching my daughter to shoot it would be a cheap alternative...

Just for plinking and teaching my daughter to shoot it would be a cheap alternative...

I wanna say there is, ill do some investigating when I get home

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Savage accutrigger - MO best gun accuracy for the dollar and quite frankly will go with very high priced custom rifles. I bought a 243 win w a heavy barrell and inexpensive scope on a whim from Walmart and the thing is scary accurate. Shoots .5 MOA with practically any ammo and will do better if you can with the right ammo... And because it's sooo accurate it's a blast to shoot and the 243 win round is relatively mild.

It is a good alternative but you really need to keep an eye on the barrel lining. The .22LR round is .003 of an inch smaller than the .223
So when shooting the .22 in the AR, the bullet can "wobble" a little when fired through the AR barrel leaving slight lead deposits on the lining.
You just need to remember to really clean the barrel good before switching back to shoot the .223 rounds.

Off topic slightly, but these are some good starter weapons. Not necessarily good for hunting anything much larger than squirrels and the like.

If you're really trying to get your kid interested in shooting, I think an AR-type weapon would be great. It's something he probably recognizes as a military weapon, and probably would find very cool. Several of the AR-type manufacturers are selling weapons chambered in 22LR now, and most of them are pretty reasonably priced. 22LR ammunition is so much cheaper than everything else, I think it would be a great place to start unless money is no object. I know when I was a kid and first got really excited about shooting, I burned up a ton of ammo at the range each time we went out. Here are links to a few good options in that category.

Ruger® SR-22® Autoloading Rifle Models

SIG522LR

M&P15-22<br>.22 LR - Smith & Wesson

Just for the heck of it, here's a pic I took a little while ago. From left to right it's 375 Remington Ultra Magnum, 223 Remington, and 22 Long Rifle.
The 375 is NOT recommended. :laugh:

375RUM-223REM-22LR-2.jpg

It is a good alternative but you really need to keep an eye on the barrel lining. The .22LR round is .003 of an inch smaller than the .223
So when shooting the .22 in the AR, the bullet can "wobble" a little when fired through the AR barrel leaving slight lead deposits on the lining.
You just need to remember to really clean the barrel good before switching back to shoot the .223 rounds.

Any other issues? I clean after I shoot every time anyway.

Daniel, i like this one:
Product: Model M&P15-22 - A1 Style Comp

but not cost effective to buy an entirely different rifle, when I've already got one with all the farkles if I could drop a quick conversion kit in it for play...and 22 LR is cheap compared to .223.

No other issues. Or if you want, for the same cost of the .22 AR conversion kit,
just buy one of these. . . less work, more fun!!
Mosseberg 701 Plinkster
Same look and feel of a real AR and about $200

Matts Guns 009.jpg

Matts Guns 009.jpg

Keith yes that is an excellent way of teaching one how to use the gun with inexpensive ammo. I've shot thousands of rounds thru a colt .22 kit I have. I've used it in many different Ar makes. The diameter of a .22lr is slightly smaller than a .223 but it shoots plenty accurate for fun. Look for a Ciener Kit. Should come with two 30rnd mags. They are well made and work well. I also had .22 kits for all my Hk rifles. Cheap good investment. Don't forget most makers also have dedicated .22 Ar guns now for 3-500 bucks.

Get her a Chipmunk .22LR This is what we started both our kids on. It's a fun lil rifle and I have actually enjoyed many hours of shooting it myself. It's not heavy and fits lil ones very well. very easy to shoot and clean. Heck we still have it just for the fun of it. Slap on a scope and she's good to do.:thumbsup:

Get her a Chipmunk .22LR This is what we started both our kids on. It's a fun lil rifle and I have actually enjoyed many hours of shooting it myself. It's not heavy and fits lil ones very well. very easy to shoot and clean. Heck we still have it just for the fun of it. Slap on a scope and she's good to do.:thumbsup:

Like I said, why would I want to buy another rifle when I have one that already has all the cool accessories on it?

Keith yes that is an excellent way of teaching one how to use the gun with inexpensive ammo. I've shot thousands of rounds thru a colt .22 kit I have. I've used it in many different Ar makes. The diameter of a .22lr is slightly smaller than a .223 but it shoots plenty accurate for fun. Look for a Ciener Kit. Should come with two 30rnd mags. They are well made and work well. I also had .22 kits for all my Hk rifles. Cheap good investment. Don't forget most makers also have dedicated .22 Ar guns now for 3-500 bucks.

Blanca, I read there is a lot of problems with Ceiner (mostly about customer service and timely shipping vs. product issues). What do you think about the CMMG versions made by Black Dog Machine? You can even get them in SS so cleaning is easier....SS and 3 20rd mags at midway shooters supply for $220....

Thatll do. :thumbsup:

Like I said, why would I want to buy another rifle when I have one that already has all the cool accessories on it?

Blanca, I read there is a lot of problems with Ceiner (mostly about customer service and timely shipping vs. product issues). What do you think about the CMMG versions made by Black Dog Machine? You can even get them in SS so cleaning is easier....SS and 3 20rd mags at midway shooters supply for $220....

"Why would I want to buy another rifle when I have one...."

OMG, I should have thought of that a long time ago :laugh:

Your thinking all wrong! Anytime you want a new gun.....buy one for your daughter:whistle:

Or your wife...mine don't want any more though :banghead: Grandaughter...little small but I think she wants a new varmit rifle...:laugh:

Don't be giving away my secrets!!:laugh: My wife said 16 months is a bit young for a gun!! I got my eye on a Sako 85 Finnlite in 7mm-08:whistle:

298176_233368306725216_148685065193541_670262_620944185_n.jpg

Back