Reduce Flinging New Chain Lube?

InfiniteReality

Registered
Got my freshly PC'd rim on with new arm and new chain (and sprockets of course). As we all know, that new sticky chain lube that's on the chain when you buy it will fling off and all over everything, especially the wheel.

I'll roll with masking tape on the wheel for 50 miles in hopes it'll get some of the grease. Is there any other ideas on an easy way to reduce it? Remove it like I would old chain wax and re-lube it with chain wax? Any help is appreciated! :)

If you haven't installed the chain then you can go ahead and clean the snot out of it. Ride it for a few min to warm it up and then PJ1 Blue it.

That being said, I would just spray PAM non stick on everything that will be "lubed" by the new grease i.e. wheel, undertail, tailsection. Put it on the rear stand, let the bike run in gear for a while to make sure the chain and grease has "run in" a bit. Then just wipe off some of the excess lube from the chain with a few clean towels prior to riding.

Go ride the bike until the chain gets hot. Then clean the chain well (wd-40, kerosene, chain cleaner, whatever) ride until warm again and re-lube. Then the PAM will let you wipe off the newly aquired "decorations" and clean the bike fairly easily.

A lot more work, but I'm a bit picky when it comes to $150 chain and the effort that comes in when I wear one out.

Nope, tossing the chain on tonight.

I'll put it on with the factory lube and do like you said after spraying stuff with pam. Last time I changed it, never crossed my mind till it was too late. that lube that comes on it is some great stuff, but geez it's hard as hell to get off a polished rim on the old 03.

Thanks!

Exactly.

Good luck with it. I know guys that just put the new chain on with extensions on stock arms and a stock chainguard. Which means the guard is too short but does cover most of the chain. They still have grease 10,000 miles later on the plastic undertail that they can't seem to get rid of.

I told them to PAM them first, they didn't listen.

I can believe it, that stuff doesn't ever seem to not keep flinging off!

Speaking of chain guards, I need to look into one ASAP and figure out how I'm going to mount it

If you want to clean the fender and rims without spraying everything with PAM, after your done with cleaning, lubing ect, just clean your rim and fender along with chain guard with Lemon Pledge.

It will clean it up as if your where using some heavy degreaser. You will be amazed how simple it makes the clean up job.

This way you will avoid the mess of PAM.

Just my opinion but it works

Uh why not clean the chain before you put it on ?
Spray the crap out of it with WD40 and then hit it with chain wax or some of the Dupont Teflon they sell at Lowes .
Then put chain on and ride . Why waste time cleaning any more stuff of your wheel ?
Clean it first ?

Last edited:
whatever does seem to fling off mine i just get it off with wd-40.

The only thing about cleaning with WD-40, it leaves an oily film which the brake dust tends to cling to right away. The pledge leaves nothing but a shine

Nothing personal, just my humble opinion as usual

If you want to clean the fender and rims without spraying everything with PAM, after your done with cleaning, lubing ect, just clean your rim and fender along with chain guard with Lemon Pledge.

It will clean it up as if your where using some heavy degreaser. You will be amazed how simple it makes the clean up job.

This way you will avoid the mess of PAM.

Just my opinion but it works

The pledge works. Good idea as well Rick

The PAM is an old dragracing thing for keeping rubber from sticking. The pledge works well in this situation though.

Got my freshly PC'd rim on with new arm and new chain (and sprockets of course). As we all know, that new sticky chain lube that's on the chain when you buy it will fling off and all over everything, especially the wheel.

I'll roll with masking tape on the wheel for 50 miles in hopes it'll get some of the grease. Is there any other ideas on an easy way to reduce it? Remove it like I would old chain wax and re-lube it with chain wax? Any help is appreciated! :)

Clean it real good w/ Kerosene on a rag (wear rubber gloves) and then lube it w/ either the Dupont or Maxima chain wax. I happen to like the Maxima, but they are both excellent products that produce the same results. :thumbsup:

Clean it real good w/ Kerosene on a rag (wear rubber gloves) and then lube it w/ either the Dupont or Maxima chain wax. I happen to like the Maxima, but they are both excellent products that produce the same results. :thumbsup:

I have not tried the Dupont nor the Maxima yet, But I have tried just about everything else and the one I like the best is Castrol Chain Wax.

But I have a hard time finding it in the stores. The last one I bought was in SD at a local bike store which is 100 mi away.

It does not fling and is very clean.

Just 2 little pennies
Bubba

The only thing about cleaning with WD-40, it leaves an oily film which the brake dust tends to cling to right away. The pledge leaves nothing but a shine

Nothing personal, just my humble opinion as usual

this is true but since i only ride my bike about once everyweek, by the time i get back to riding the wd-40 isn't really oily or is dried off.

Sweet, glad I asked. Learned alot of good stuff, thanks for the tips! I'll clean it with WD-40 (don't have kerosene at home to use) and spray some chain wax on it and install. Then whatever happens to come off over the next couple hundred miles I'll pledge it off! This beats the hell out of rolling around with masking tape on the rim!

Get the Dupont chain lube at Lowes - approx 4.00 for an 11 oz. can. Chain and wheels clean up very well with WD-40. Just wipe excess off when your're finished. Dupont "stuff" is called dupont multipurpose dry wax and chaine lube. This does not throw off.

Got it all installed tonight. It's set to roll tomorrow after 5 weeks of building. Thanks for the help!

SNC19247.jpg

SNC19250.jpg

SNC19253.jpg

SNC19257.jpg

SNC19266.jpg

Back